One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Friday, March 17, 2006

Holi/Dhuleti


Wednesday, March 15 this year was Holi. I love this festival even though I havent played in years and am usually left alone at home. I love festivals in general because of the romantic traditions and stories behind them (usually) and the YUMMY food! (And lately, more so if they are national holidays from work - especially in the middle of the week :D)

So on to the story (or stories) behind Holi.

Hiranya-Kashyap was a king who was granted a wish by Lord Brahma for his goodness. He was granted his wish that he would never be killed by man or beast, on earth or sky, indoors or outdoors, by day or by night, or by any weapon. Likewise, his sister Holika was granted a boon that she would be immune to fire. After this, he mistakenly believed himself to be a God and demanded that all his subjects worship him as one, which in fear or his despotism, they did. However, his son Prahlad, found out from a wise man that he should be worshipping Vishnu and not his dad and developed complete devotion in him. His father, filled with fury demanded he stop and when he didn't tried to have him killed in a number of ways - throwing him from rocky cliffs, drowning him etc. But Prahlad was always saved due to his devotion (why he was called bhakt - devotee - Prahlad).

At this point, Hiranya Kashyap got so mad that he decided to have Prahlad burnt. He would place Prahlad on Holika's lap to prevent him from escaping, and he would die and Holika would come out unscathed. At this point, one version says that Holika has a change of heart and prays that her boon gets transferred to Prahlad, so that he gets saved and she dies, or she burns anyway due to the fury of the Gods. Also, at this time, at Twilight (neither day nor night), Lord Vishnu bursts out from a pillar on the porch of the palace (neither indoors nor out)in the form of Narsimha (man-lion - his 6th avatar I believe), places him on his lap (neither on ground or above it) and tears Hiranya Kashyap's intestines out with his claws (without using any weapons). Hence good emerges victorious over evil and bhakt Prahlad is crowned king and ushers in an era of justice and piety.

Hindunet (link below) has another story - that Madana the God of love disguised himself as a beautiful nymph to try and disturb Shiva's meditation and isolation, and when Shiva got disturbed, and hence mad, he reduced him to ashes with his third eye. (Here's another detailed and much more valid-seeming variation on this. Also explains why Kama is ananga - without a physical body - thus emphasizing a mental and spiritual love connection over a physical one) Other myths include Putana the demon nurse being killed by baby Krishna, and the demoness Hoda being killed by children. (From the Ahmedabad City Tourist Guide - a veritable and practical minefield of info)

Thus huge bonfires are burnt - usually of waste wood - on the eve of Holi - not only to mark the vanquishment of evil, but also the end of winter. Grains etc, the crop of the seasonal harvest, thrown in. The night the bonfire is lit is a full moon- last day of the month of Phagun. Holi or Dhuleti follows, which we all know is celebrated by the throwing of coloured water and powder on each other, and the drinking of weed-infused Bhang, marking the first day of Chaitra month. Rangpanchami, on the 5th day obviously, marks the end of the festivities.

Lord Krishna popularised this festival, which, besides Navratri is another play on the love between him and Radha. He complained to his mother Yashoda that Radha was fair and he was dark, and his mother told him to apply colour to her skin and see how it would change. Seen some lovely pichhwais in Nathdwara on the subject.


Wow! I love Wikipedia! Apparently the original powdered colours thrown (made from Neem, Halsi, Kesar, Kumkum, Bilva, had medicinal properties as people were prone to cold in this season!)

I have happy vicarious memories of Holi, mostly through Madhur Jaffrey's reminiscences in Seasons of Splendour, a truly wonderful retelling by her of some classic mythology/folk tales of India. She would talk of throwing gold pain on he boy she had a crush on, thus transforming him into a 'golden god' SIGH. Its been years since I read this book and I still remember it! Tarana on go 92.5 FM spoke of how in her mothers' time they would just fill a tank of Kesar (saffron) water and spray it on everyone, and there was just gulal. Of course, now, this article euphemises amd condones the misbehaviour rampant on the streets "Today Holi is an excuse for Indians to shed inhibitions and caste differences for a day of spring fever and Big Fun. Teenagers spend the day flirting and misbehaving in the streets..."

This Hindunet article further addresses the misbehaviour and general disregard of norms during holi which it calls a public vs a private festival, comparing it to Dionysian rituals and Guy Fawkes Day in the UK. Id compare it to St. Patricks Day! Eek, this article is very imperialistic and paerochial in its view. And the cultural comparisons it offers are shallow and pointless. I'm disappointed with this Hindunet. It is propagating some puritan Brahminesque nostalgia of immigrant Hinduism.

My dance teacher spoke about how safe it was when her kids would play downstairs, everyone running about, and she would send downa pot of tea and the Gujarati families in the neighbourhood would send down bhajias, and the kids would snack and then run around again. Now unfortunately, I feel very unsafe going to public Holi sessions in building societies, even though people tend to stick to their own groups. Who knows whom - even so-called friends, may behave inappropriately in the name of 'fun'. As sexy as wet white messy outfits are, Id just rather not go there unless its with people I trust completely! This fear is also a result of watching Damini. Which is a DAMN good movie.
Not to mention that nowadays colours are fast and filled with evil chemicals - and that ill-mannered people use rotten tomatoes and bananas etc to smear - I remember feeling very uncomfortable and humiliated in the lift when I was nine when boisterous college kids who thought I was cute smeared sticky squelchy food all over my face. Of course, then my sister was excited by eggs being thrown on her - for its conditioning properties. It never happened to me. Thankfully.

Anyway, I dont think there's any special Holi food - we usually just make something fried and something sweet (cos that's festive!). This time there was dudhi-palak muthiya and khaman dhokla. And kalakand, which I think is GROSS (hate rose flavour).
Then came the drive to Bandra, then coffee/tea/mocktails, then a much-needed nap and Taxi 9211 - review to follow.

Sorry - this was long overdue!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't understand the point of Holi and the way its played. Dabbing color powder on people and smearing their faces and clothes with oil paint!! I mean what's the point? Why do millions of Indians get a high on such kind of behavior? Well, in general, I am not in favor of any ritualistic forms of behavior, be it religious or celebratory. Holi has always confounded me, and I have never participated in it since childhood despite the coercion from my family to do so. I never had to discard clothes on account of that - yay!!!

And the eggs-throwing, bhaang, groping.... very very ugh!! If I were President I would ban the festival. Its a waste of time, pollutes the environment, and is a waste of clothes.

8:53 am  
Blogger Dewaker Basnet said...

informative writeup.. thanks:)

2:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Woman of the Forest. Was Kashyap the King's last name? ;-) Methinks the name is Hiranyakashippu.

5:36 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

C.O.: Celebration is good as long as it doesnt intrude anyone's personal limitations. You are free to sit at home just as others are free to play. I for one hope the person Im with is very enthu about celebrations.
Dewakar: You're welcome!
Anonymous: Yeah yeah - question of transliteration/Anglicization (I hope!). I haven't read the Sanskrit or whatever. So this is Madhur Jaffrey's Seasons of Splendour spelling version! Besides, Kashyap is a nice tough-nut name.

10:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aranti: That's exactly my point. I always thought Holi did encroach on my space as I attempted to find my way to go somewhere during Holi. Someone would invariably come up to me to put "rang" on me, or some idiot would pelt me with water baloons. I mean, can't they leave disinterested people alone during Holi? And that smell of "rang" would make me puke. Unfortunaletly, Holi is not a celebration for me, its more a day of hibernation. Also, I am curious to know how all the "rang" and "gulaal" business started? Was it an ancient tradition or just some mindless post-Independence ritual? I would tend to defer to the latter.

Cheers, CO.

11:03 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Read my post. The colour has been around forever. I learnt this raga for my exam - Raag Hameer, with the bandhish -
Rang jo gulaal laal rang kesar pichkari maare ho.
Rang ke bhari pichkari maare,
Bhar bhar kumkum maare ho.

It's only as Holi got more and more commercialised that unnatural colours have been used. Everything was washable before.

11:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter