One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Happy Women's Day!!!

Rosie the Riveter: honouring the American women who worked for the Home Front during WWII.

Today started lovely as after a pleasant aerobics session, in the mirrors of which class I am finally being able to look decent again (yay!) we were each given a rose by our class administration! They had taken care to snip the thorns off but they still hurt! I'll never understand why the rose is supposed to be the Queen of flowers.

After some research, I'm happy to brief you on the origins of Women's Day, and the significance of March 8. It's basically the day in the Gregorian calendar on which Russian women were granted suffrage in 1917 after the Czar was forced to abdicate his throne. It has also been the date many women's rallies were conducted throughout Europe protesting World War 1. Most decisions to have a day for women have also taken place in the last century around this date.

Official UN writeup on Women's Day.

International Women's day 2005 on the UN website.

Don't look at me
Every day is so wonderful
And suddenly, it's hard to breathe
Now and then, I get insecure
From all the PAIN, I'm so ashamed

I am beautiful no matter what they say
Words can't bring me down
I am beautiful in every single way
Yes, words can't bring me down oh no
So don't you bring me down today

No matter what we do
No matter what we say
We're the song inside the tune
Full of beautiful mistakes
And everywhere we go
The sun will always shine
But tomorrow we might awake
On the other side

We are beautiful no matter what they say
Yes, words won't bring us down oh no
We are beautiful in every single way
Yes, words can't bring us down oh no
So don't bring me down today...

(Christina Aguilera "Beautiful")

3 Comments:

Blogger Makhtub said...

LOL

I cannot believe this, I have the same song on my blog!!

Yes I hope that we just realise how beautiful we truly are!!

7:41 am  
Blogger Erosopher said...

On the anniversary of the first time we had sex, I asked my first bf to bring me roses with the thorns still on. Being the brilliant, sensitive creature he was, he missed the point entirely and gave me thornless little orange roses before climbing on top of me like a horny grizzly bear.

I think roses preside over the flower kingdom because they embody necessary duality; the experience of beauty comes at a price. And while I no longer experience intercourse as soul-sucking trauma, the analogy holds. The thorn on the rose is the sword hidden in Love's pinions. To approach mystery and beauty we must pay -- usually, in blood.

To move away from my abstracted gibberish, it's important to remember that from a purely evolutionary standpoint, roses are great beauties with one hell of a self-defense mechanism.

Happy Women's Day.

6:43 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Thank you for your profound insight as usual, Patty! I was purely looking it at from a superficial level - there are flowers that are prettier. Great beauty not only comes at a price, great beauty also suffers great prices. Sometimes one wonders which is the cause and which the effect.
Haha, remember that tampon with a metal spike that we saw from that swedish company on my computer in Bath?

Yes Makhtub, we ARE beautiful, and people often take it for granted!

11:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter