One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Friday, August 11, 2006

Terror's Tentacles

So since the 7/11 bomb scares in Bombay, Israel and Lebanon in mid-July, and now, most recently, the bomb scares in Heathrow, security has been tightening to an almost more paranoid extent WORLDWIDE than it was post 9/11 in the US alone. This Sepia Mutiny post highlights some of the latest dont's and our resulting sad predicament.

So I'm going to go to New York in September to see my fiance. Among the little annoyances this will entail: My paranoid overly punctual father will demand that I reach the airport even earlier than we normally do, that I will have to move my toilet kit containing my lens solution into my suitcase and risk my clothes getting soaked and sticky because for some reason my solution ALWAAYS leaks, as does my face lotion, I wont be able to wear lenses and look pretty as soon as I land without considerable trouble and bag-opneing etc. I wont be able to listen to my own music on the flight (not that I really do, but suppose if?), and may not be able to take my cellphone with me *GASP* *WHAT??* I seriously dont think I van survive without it. what am i supposed to do, check it in my suitcase? Then how will I talk to my fiance till the airhostess yells at me? Till the time we take off so he knows what time we left and if its delayed. Dude!!!!!

In the last week of June, before he flew out, I had spent a wonderful half houe canoodling with him in the visitor's area in Mumbai airport. When I was in Delhi for a day, he watchmen had let us out to drink tea with my in-laws who weren't flying back with us. When I flew out in the first week of July, I left eh airport after checking hin and hung out with him for over an hour at a nearby hotel. At the end of July however, when I went to pick my fiance up, I suddenly found that visitor's entrance inside the arrivals hall had been banned. Later, I found out when I went to drop him back that after check-in they wouldnt let him go out to spend time with him till he had to go through security. And then he said something that rings so true in our times "This is how they win". Indeed.

By eradicating every opportunity to deeply feel love and loss, by diminishing the trust human beings need to have in order to survive, by reducing quality time in relationships through the enforcement of a certain type of conduct or dress or interaction in public, through the forced imposiion of foreign values that almost hypnotically and magically erase our memories of the BEFORE, except in the time of meaningless nostalgia, that heighten our sympathetic nervous system and cause us to regard every swift move or unpredictability in any individual with suspicion, THIS is how they win.

I hate these few assholes who have made life so qualitatively worse for the rest of us. I hate these people who dont allow me to believe that we are all equal and that all religions are different paths to the same object. I hate these people who have the nerve to impose their beliefs and fears and insecurities upon us, those who dont believe in moderation and true communalism and "Ekantvad ma Samvad" each to his own. I hate those assholes who let these assholes get to them and make life difficult for individuals purely on the basis of colour or a mere physical attribute.

I despair of the world my children will grow up in. I despair that they may not be as lucky in terms of skin tone as their parents have, that they will have to suffer what we have escaped so far. That they will be under constant scrutiny by people less educated, les broadminded, less worthy. People who will kill the faith in humanity that we will try so hard to put in them.

Here's nowhere to escape to now. The fear, in the form of noxious gases, pervade even nature on desert islands.

12 Comments:

Blogger karmic said...

Nice post. Your fiance has probably told you about checking out the TSA web site and others to know what you should or should not carry.

Either ways when you get settled here in the US, please try to stay involved in politics and when you are able to, please do vote. When enough of us do something about the things we care about, it will slowly change. And maybe we will help make our world a better place to live in.
Sorry if it sounds corny..later.
LOL BTW my word verification was "dilseaj". Guess that translated to from the heart today? lol just found it funny, most of the times you just type it in, without noticing much.

2:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Put anything that might leak in a ziploc bag.

September?! *moeue* (however that's spelled, you know what I mean.)

If I can't take my phone, I refuse to travel. The last time I checked luggage, it spent a lonely and suspenseful night in Hong Kong, where it was rifled through by people doubtless disappointed by my taste in clothing and my failure to pack anything worth stealing.

Sorry to post anonymously, but I forgot my password again.

-Erosopher

1:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely put.

1:21 pm  
Blogger ggop said...

Some practical tips
Try and use a rubber band around your ziploc bags to seal them.

If your suitcase has a plastic zip compartment, stick all liquids there.
I got real lucky - fragrance bottles didn't break in my last flight (in checked in luggage!)

gg

2:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice post :)

u should tape up the botteles with the lotion and solution...I tape up tooth paste even!!

all the pressure in th air craft makes thm leak

2:50 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

yeah... i thought it was the pressure. The ziplocks are a good idea... i think i was just too lazy to think about them!

2:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and hey....guess I lost ur blog in the middle somewhere...and now that I am back..I see a lot has happened!!

congratulations!!!! Its good to read abt all ur experiences and feelings and new love :)

I think you shouldnt be too hard on urself right now including thinking about whether u r changing or doing things that u otherwise dont...a lot of it has to do with it being a new phase and the addition of another person in ur life...so make the most of it...till its still new and uncertain..

best of luck!!

3:22 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Thanks Chandni!!!

3:29 am  
Blogger Tachyoson said...

have a good and safe journey.

hope the haters always lose.

10:43 am  
Blogger Swapna said...

Well said! Have a good journey!

8:36 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Thanks guys!

9:50 pm  
Blogger Lanikai said...

I travel quite a bit inside continental US and to Europe. I had the horrible experience of being in a London to NY flight which was delayed 7 hours post landing in NY because they interviewed evey single person on the flight. I was one of the last few and despite the fact that I was a US citizen, they grilled me on my back ground including why my marriage certificate was filed in the state of Hawaii when my state of residence is Texas....I mean HECK! Its eased up quite a bit though and they allowed me to carry contact lens solution on the flight (4oz only), but I had my optho write up a little note. It is certainly getting better though...good luck.

11:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter