Correcting Misconceptions on Marriage
Honestly, how do you know? Since I decided to be engaged, i dont think Ive written more than 5 entries. The fact that most of them may have been to do with travel plans or the rather peculiar situation of being engaged long distance - neither here nor there in terms of duties, responsibilities, rights and privileges, dwelling unwillingly in a realm of gigantic phone bills and resented longing, are precisely because this is a new situation for me. I really do feel like an anthropologist, treading in a rather foolhardy manner through a trampoline-like intercultural space that throws me up into paroxyms of bliss and also down into the depths of despair at my ever being able to succesfully transition. Trust me, however, there is ample food in this situation for anyone with a sense of irony, and this is what I'm enjoying! I'll update about this in later posts, but for now, let me stick to a defense of sorts.
Yes, so after just about a dozen entries in the last two months, how can you possibly infer that I am losing my sense of self? I havent blogged about any of my usual topics because I havent had the time to read papers, stay in touch with world events etc. The domestic world does seem boring and tame in comparison to larger events, but let me tell you, it is no less fraught with conflict and powerplay due to the inherent politics of human relations. Think of it as a study of the world on a micro-level, if you will.
Don't diss me if you are a man, sitting on your high horse and telling me that i shouldnt compromise and shouldnt sacrifice and hold on to who i am etc. All men do is put women on a pedestal, calling them superwomen, leave them there, and then deride them if they are found wanting. Maybe we're supposedly stronger than men, I dont know, I'm not sure Ive had the opportunity to see that quality in myself, but I can say this much - I'm only human. I have many failings. Like everyone else, even you, I have my fears, my woes, my inability to see things logically all the time. And they're perfectly justified, thank you very much. And even so-called liberated women who say that. Look around you. The world hasn't changed. Women still move to men's houses when they marry. Very few men are lucky enough to own their own flat/house when they marry, unless it is at a ridiculously late age. Hence, chances are, a woman will be living with his family. And then on, its simply a question of numbers. Is it more logical for one person to accomodate a little more or for a whole family of 3 or more people to? It's not about sexism, it's about practicality.
And besides, EVERYONE makes adjustments. My in-laws will have to think about sharing the car, about someone with different nutritional and cooking preferences, someone with different timings and her own hobbies, if not immediately, then eventually. My mother-in-law will have to take time out to teach me how to run a house and to meet our relatives. My father-in-law will have to take time out to teach me about work and business. My brother-in-law will be sleeping all alone. My husband has to deal with a relative stranger (albeit one he chose) with a completely different lifestyle and methods of doing things, sharing his personal space and usurping all his cupboards! He wont be able to flirt in clubs anymore (well, neither will I), or randomly hang out with whoever he chooses. We will all have responsibilities to each other, not just I alone. It's essential to remember that you're living with your family, not an enemy, and treat them as such.
Even if I did 'lose my sense of self' as it may look, is that necessarily a bad thing? Am I not absorbing a new identity, new ways of thinking that might hopefully ease my transition into a new place, a new culture, a new family with its new values? In a sense, does that then not become beneficial, both for me and everyone involved?
It's not that I'm trying to be non-confrontationalist or backing down from any stand or losing myself. I just have more things to do than hang around and entertain myself with mind exercises. Though i really love that this blog makes me think, even when I have to respond to my readers, such as are left (I feel terrible about that!), and I intend to continue doing so. It's just that its very easy for people to wax eloquent about rights and demands and personality, but I know from experience that no one is ever around to do anything but proffer unwanted opinions when your house and situation is falling apart. At the end of the day, it's up to each os us to manage our situations in the best way we know. That's exactly what I'm doing, whether it's right or not, even whether it's the best thing universally or not,and I, like any nervous newly-engaged daughter-in-law-to-be, would appreciate a little credit for that. So, if you have nothing nice or even constructive to say, then please look elsewhere for your idle entertainment.
In conclusion, I'd like to say that this is a choice I made, to marry, before my poor eggs die, a man who teases me but treats me like a princess, who adores me and indulges my opinions, who read my blog and was amused by the way I get confused by my own arguments and go overboard playing the devil's advocate, who is willing to help me transition, whose family likes me, and whose family I like, a man who looks at me with his mutable pupils and makes me feel warm, who makes me laugh even when he makes me mad, who knows exactly where all my sore and soft spots are, who has figured me out even better than my parents have.
Despite the fact that he's from a different community, the same business, the same religion, a slightly more conservative family, good-looking. Now tell me what decision YOU would take in the circumstances. Would you be able to help appreciating and adoring such a man? He surpasses all my fairy-tale-like dreams. Being with him is better than ANY relationship Ive had. He has romanced me in ways no one ever did before. He has taken an active interest in getting to know me, and in getting me to know him. So what if he lives far away? So what if I may have to give up some things and take on others? He doesnt want me to dumb down, to look ugly, to shut up, to be anything I'm not, because he knows what I AM. All he asks is for me to be more than I am,not less. And that's the point of life right? Growth. Sure, Im not sure I can handle cooking and cleaning and ironing and packing all my life, but that's the price all women pay for security, comfort, and a whole lot of happiness. I'm not any more special than any of them. Why should I not be allowed to develop these skills? Would I not need them if I were living alone anyway? So why the phizool ke prejudices?

9 Comments:
A,
Its only natural for ppl to post these comments since it seems like now your whole existence is arnd this guy!! In the way u speak, or whatever u write...And well its natural of course for u to feel like this or talk all abt it for that is the moment ur in and this is ur new phase...
But its also natural for ur readers to feel the same, from ur blog entries u come across as this free spirited, independent punk attitude kind of a person...And im not saying that choosing to adjust to ur husband or getting married robs you outa it...but that is the perception...somewhere down the way it happens with the most storng hearted independent women...that is what a woman actually does...
but being totally honest maybe it was what u were writing or the way u were talking abt it all the time, somewhere i felt it too that you now are settling to just be that typical my husband my life revolves arnd him attitude! It just seemed like it, i am not saying that maybe i was being judgemental but it is there..so well its just a natural feeling for ppl who know u through ur blogs and have this image of urs or think u are like this!!Besides mostly women who are v independent or strong headed normally dont opt for an arranged marraige (again a perception)...so its just something that people here wld think abt...
Why bother? those that truly know the real aru will know how u feel or what it is, ur readers well they just have this fantasy of who u are or what u were? so dont get all irritated or touchy if u get these comments coz these ppl dont matter to u! espc people who dont have the guts to write their name when they feel free to pass comments on what u have become as to what u were!!
relax, im sure once ur married and everything settles down, ull stop writing more abt ur husband or married life or ur fears abt it and talk more abt world issues or reviews or other stuff which u can catch up on and everyone here will think aaahhhh i guess she is back to her old self!!
chill and enjoy ur love
cheers
K
Wow, what brought that out? I have also seen you change, but hey it's not my life. How you want to deal with the complex issues that you talk aboutis up to you. You are fighting that battle, so good luck to ya.
Even if I did 'lose my sense of self' as it may look, is that necessarily a bad thing? Am I not absorbing a new identity, new ways of thinking that might hopefully ease my transition into a new place, a new culture, a new family with its new values? In a sense, does that then not become beneficial, both for me and everyone involved?
Absorb the new identity but don't lose yourself in the process. Makhtub put it well too.
Good luck with everything. Sorry I am clueless I had no clue there are big joint desi families like this in the US. I am pulling for ya by the way.
Thank you guys, I needed that. Its true, but honestly, because this is a new phase, I thought it would be interesting to think and write a bout what a woman goes through in this phase, the process of adjustment, etc, mundane as it may seem. Its not a fairy tale mills and boons story, and its not the end, but the beginning, and I'd love to chronicle all my experiences with marital life, in-laws etc. People have the misconception that family politics are petty, and its true, but theyre also vital to life, just like office or international politics. It does determine the pecking order. Im sure Ill have some caustic things to say about some situations, customs or people Ill encounter, but as of now, Im enjoying it and am really curious. Yes, soap operas are petty, and I NEVER want to revolve my life around family politics and all that crap, and I DO have book and movie reviews to write about! But they come hand in hand: they'll shape me, but I'll shape them too, and Id rather distance myself and think about the things Im adopting now rather than blindly doing anything. For all you know, marriage might just temper and sophisticate my reasoning. And my fiance will probably be the first to tell you that Im not always thinking of other people!
No gains are for keeps, just as no losses are for keeps, so why bother at all.
You're marrying the reality of your perception while others who've known you choose to 'marry' their perceptions of your reality :)
And, in the in-between where the two sides cannot overlap, they intrude.
Go your way, lady, 'coz that's the only way worth going . . . the rest you'll find out for yourself while you travel along life's way.
Until then, may the gods smile at you while you play the "devil's advocate" :)
whoa..look at you..is this a garam response to my prev comments? heck looks like it..i'll try to clarify..i only tried to point out the stark contrast between your writing style..that one entry on arranged marriage was such an interesting read to me that i immediately bookmark'd your blog.i never tried to analyze your life and frankly no one is...as some one commented why bother sugar?..heck these are just some random dude's opinions (not facts)..and its your blog to express in whatever way you want to :)..itnaa load nahi leneka madam...u r a very silly girl...and pls dont take this line and make a new entry ;)...on a different note...i must say i'm hooked to your blog entries these days..you really are an interesting person..
I am so sorry to post my comments anonymously. I just could not wait to put in my two cents. I found your blog by chance recently and love all your posts. Your thoughts echo the ones I faced when I got married ten years ago.
Here I was, an independent professional having my own career and the whole paradox of getting married into a family where I would have to adjust. Mind you, mine was what they call in India a “love marriage.” I have had to play a role of a daughter in law where in I had to take an active part and organize family poojas, namely Ganesh and Janmashtami. Despite having cook and servants like most upper middle class Indian families do, I had to pitch in and take care of running the house. This despite the fact that my husband and I had our own flat, my parents-in-law wanted us to live with them and my husband could not say no!
I have gone through so many emotions…. anger at how societal expectations for women remain the same no matter how much education one obtains. I did not want to lose myself and was also scared to be a “Stepford wife.” I lived in Mumbai for three years before coming to the United States for my graduate study. I had to lead my own life and find my own destiny. Incidentally family politics in India is rather interesting, although petty, it is rather complex. Most importantly it gives valuable insights into human nature.
Needless to say that my husband and I are still together, and our marriage is strong as ever, despite having lived apart for a year (with me in the States and him in India). All I can say is that no matter what anyone says as long as you are true to yourself…. You will be fine!!!! Every stage in your life is important because they aid in building your character. As long as your relationship is a two-way street, you and your spouse will grow together. The early days, where you have met your soul mate, are really precious in nurturing your relationship. Therefore, the emotions that you are expressing are very natural. I know this from experience. I am certain you will not change your inherent nature. I love your spunk and am certain you will retain that!
Dear Anil, Shashi and Anonymous,
Thank you for your support. It is a weird time in many ways, but its also exciting. You're right, nothing should bother me now that ive made this choice, and eventually, nothing will, once I experience my fiance more and more and see just how right he is for my life. Its just that Im still wilful, Im still young and selfish and sometimes miss having no responsibility to anyone. But it all comes with the package right? Which is not to say i regret my decision.
Shashi, your comment kinda kickstarted it, but my fears had also kinda alarmed some of my friends who also voiced similar concerns.
Anonymous, thanks for sharing your story and for your encouragement. Sometimes I just cant fathom how ill do it or if ill just fall apart, but im realising it does happen to everyone. Do you think thats how everyone consoles himself/herself when s/he is going through these marital crises? Its just a matter of changing my attitude a bit.
All your support in every way means a lot to me. Thank you guys.
Dear god, you are such an arrogant, spoilt brat. Grow up and show some maturity....seriously, some of your posts just scream out selfish, arrogant and ostentatious. I am sorry I read this nonsense, ever.
Dear Sara,
Possibly. Maybe I seem that way because that's what I see in the world. Maybe it's too small a world for you. Nevertheless, I am just trying to grow up in the best way i know how. Anyway, im sure you can find things to read that are more to your taste!
Post a Comment
<< Home