One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Pre-Engagement Jitters

Im so sorry... I havent had the time or the inclination to write, and now that so many thoughts and fears and worries have been crowding my brain, Im suddenly grateful to know that I have a little space on the web on which I can express all my many confusions, once which I have been guilty of ignoring and taking for granted, and an (mostly anonymous) audience of readers, who care about me enough to read and try to understand what I have to say, leave comments, and even email me personal anecdotes to help me out. And I cannot thank you enough and apologise that Ive ignored you too long.

It's kinda time for me to count my blessings, I think, thats why the profusive emotion. I'm sorry if I'm embarassing you - public displays of emotion can be discomfiting in the least, if not embarassing and annoying, even if sympathy is a major element involved in the audience's perception. God, Ive missed writing!

It's just... a few issues between my fiance and I in the past week had got me thinking about whether this was the right choice for me and him, given that though we share a great bond and are very attracted to each other, we are people of very different understandings, and from very different familial backgrounds and upbringings, even in terms of religion and values and the importance of independence, even though, in terms of social status, material and education background, we have similar lives. And I suspect the onset of my PMS has heightened my fears to some degree, and ive been wondering if it really is the little things that will accumulate and drive me crazy and ruin my marriage.

Ive just been building it all up in my head - little things like not eating eggs, even outside, saris, respect, wording things differently, my status changing from a daughter, in which I can wake up late, wear skimpy shorts in the house and whatever I want outside, lie in bed and watch TV, be on the net all day, only to be called for meals, go out whenever I want, sulk and yell at my parents, read, sleep and wake whenever I want, have a fixed routine, can skip familial responsibilities on the excuse of work, hang out and say whatever I want to my grandmother and aunts, drink with my parents, to being a daughter in law, being careful about what I wear and how I present myself, being tactful, having no fixed schedule except the needs of my extended family, having to wear saris and touch people's feet and not drink, to cook and clean and organise and work. What if I dont go to the gym while settling down and get fat? What if no one likes me? What if I have to say and do certain things I dont believe in, that i resist, because doing them would be in opposition to, and hence in some way undermining the way my parents live and have brought me up? What if we dont agree on how to bring up kids and what theyll study and wear and who they'll date and whether they'll have sex? What if I'm unhappy and my husband wont take my side? What if we dont communicate effectively? What if I'm not respected and expected to change all the time? What if when we go to Udaipur for jatra, we only go to Kesariyaji and not Shrinathji and Eklingji also like I do with my family just because theyre a different religion? What if my judgement of the clothes that are appropriate, the things I say or do isnt right and I'm put down by my husband and land up not only making him look bad, but also myself, his family, and mine? what if, as a result of his various unhappinesses in me, he cheats on me? What if I'll never be enough?

And even though these things all sound silly and little, I think, Am I strong enough to handle all this? Am i mouldable as a daughter in law should be? Am I a doormat? Will I be able to stand up for my family and my values and self-respect? Im scared Ill change and as a result turn passive-aggressive and bitter, or if I manage to hold my own, be touted as the rebellious black sheep. Im scared of compromise, of change, of proving myself. Ive never had to. Im scared of having to earn the privileges which are dependant on my fulfilling of my responsibilities - privileges which will have been my erstwhile default state of being (whats the phrase here? that I always took for granted - my fundamental freedoms) - things that were previously seen as basic necessities to my survival as me, the little stupid things stated above, will become luxuries.

Im so scared of that. Im not sure I can fight. And then I wonder why i feel Im in this alone. And my fiance does a fantastic job of comforting me, but Im just so scared Ill let everyone down. Everyone's always filled my head with ominous phrases about the girl having to adjust more, that i just dont think I can do it. The thought of it makes me feel like a noose is pressing tighter around my throat, and I keep looking around for little chips of rebellion that I can hold on to, to survive - that even in cowardly hiding, there will be some essence of silly Joya remaining, even though it may be hidden from public view. Im so scared Ill be compelled to become some Stepford Wife-type invisible automaton, and while their perfectness is something I can only aspire to possess, I almost dont want to out of rebellion.

I think in that sense, my problem is, in the theological sense, my ego. Im so used to being princess of my domestic domain, that Im not sure I want to be the chattel. And that Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham soap opera about that Mansukhlal's joint family's advertising hoardings scare me even more, which their taglines "Kya sanskar ke matlab hai badon ke isharon par chalne?" (Is the meaning of values pandering to the wishes of the elders?) with the daughters-in-law moving as marionettes on strings manipulated by the father-in-law. If Im being the one who has to change conspicuously more, I think Id feel horribly resentful, and make life correspondingly hell for my poor family-to-be. And im scared of that. I know its important for everyone to be flexible, but Im only flexible when others are also willing to be. Im scared Ill marry and then everyone will turn into a monster, and Ill also either turn into one or a shadow of my former self. Then I snort at the thought of my fear of losing my identity when Im not even sure what my identity is now.

Marriage has never seemed to be to be some sort of liberation to me (yeah - Id think immaturely as a teenager, that I couldnt WAIT to get married to get away from my parents stupid rules and shoutings, and now Im being faced by a far more stringent set of rules!). Ive always seen it as terribly boring, one routine after another, predictable and constricting in its monotony. Ive always dreamed of a partnership in which we'd be alone in some kind of Utopia, happily self-realising and experiencing a conspicuous, gloriously-renewing sense of fulfilment daily. Yeah, its kinda hard for reality to match up.

And then i met my fiance. He is like the teenage boyfriend I never had - we make each other laugh, he opens up and talks to me, I can get away with all the nonsense chatter i cant with anyone else, when he kisses me I go woozy, when he looks at me appreciatively I get a bit klutzy. And yet, I was scared that maybe it takes more to make a marriage. Thats why I resisted so long, before I squeezed my eyes shut, crossed my fingers, and leapt into his arms. See, I had been constantly looking for a sign. People tell you, even in arranged marriage, that you just KNOW. What nonsense, let me tell you. I spent days and weeks waiting for a 'spark', to let some warm and fuzzy sensation fill me with certainty.

Instead, I got some vague aching when he wouldnt come online, I'd jump to the phone and squeal silently when he called, as much as I wasnt sure I liked him, I needed to be sure that he'd like me, and Id spend the night wondering if he'd be around the next day, to know he was sure. And he was. And then it hit me. When I worried myself to tears when he wouldnt message that he had reached home safe, when I was silently and gradually hyperventilating that his family didnt like me when I knew I shouldnt really be caring since I didnt want to get married anyway, when I missed him when I couldnt contact him, when he'd quietly take me and place me back in the equilibrium of our world when I teetered towards impossibly melodramatic and rather psychedelic Kodak-Eastman technicolour extremes with a few soothing words of a husband in my teenager-boyfriend's voice, when his unhappiness with me could drive me to new lows, and his pleasure in me to higher-pitched squeals that I can actually express around him (and NO! not in the way you're thinking!), I thought, maybe THATS the sign.

And I know Im discounting the importance of familial support in an arranged marriage. What ive previously seen as pressure and interference, could very well be the rock. It seems like an unsteady premise, certainly, but like God, the Family has brought us to it, and will se us through it. In the Indian setup, we're only two players enacting out own separate drama. We are a only a part of the whole, near enough to the core, that, like baby animals in a herd, need to be protected by the collective of elders, from predators.

So I spoke to my fiance and soaked a tissue, spoke to my mother and soaked 3/4th of another, and am now drained (hehe, pun intended) and a bit calmer. Here I am, writing about fears my mother says are normal, and which I hope for my and my future husband's sake, are. He makes everything worth it right now, and I sincerely hope he will continue to, and I also hope that one day he will say the same for me. I only hope the road isnt too hard and our attitudes too sucky.

My fiance thinks I think too much and it messes with my head. You better not agree!

14 Comments:

Blogger karmic said...

Congratulations!!! I am sure things will work out. I believe your concerns are valid, and everyone esp women go thru them prior to marraige/engagement. Just a few thoughts-

Compromise is not a bad word, if both of you do that. It will depend on the situation, and trust me it never ends.
Even many years later, it is common for us as a couple do that and we are both pretty independent and strong willed. It is not always easy as we have one another and also our own interests, which do not always intersect. So you have to work around that.
We do not have the issue of a family, leave alone an extended one. So I can't comment,but it's a lot easier if he stands by you and you by him when it makes sense.

There was no spark, but a gradual growth in how you feel for him, shows that you were able to conect on many levels which is so crucial for success. You can talk about some of your concerns with him I guess.
Does he know you blog, is he ok with you having your own space or would you rather keep it separate(which makes sense)?
I guess you will continue to work?
If you do, that provides you some space as well, away from him and the extended family. Is it going to be living with them?
It will be a whle new world, try to keep an openmind and I am pretty sure it will work out. It will be a challenge though but am sure you will figure it out.
Good luck!!

11:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Ms. Aranyi

7:33 pm  
Blogger Cacophoenix said...

Hi Was breezing through your blog, when this caught my eye. Congrats on the engagement. your fiance is probably right. Thinking too much takes the magic away from the moment and movies and serials give petrified brides to be a lot to think about. I have been there and walked through that only a couple of years ago. It is going to be hard. I will not lie. But there are alwasy ways to get through it, sometimes with just love sometimes with love and a little prayer, and sometimes love prayer and anger. And like the many thousands of people before us. You will find a way. We will alwasy be around to dole out churns of wise words. Have fun.

10:50 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Thank you Jay, Kush and Cacophoenix,
I Think ive read too many novels in which people marry and then realise they were using marriage to fulfil some lack, or insecurity in themselves, which didnt end up happening, after all. IM scared Ill wake up one day and feel incredibly unfulfilled and like I sold out. I dont know. But if its hard for you guys and you managed, with hope and faith (and love and prayer and anger), I guess Ill make it! Thanks so much!

2:23 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Aranyi, Long time, no hear. Anyway, from your recent post, I think you are setting yourself to be screwed if you get married to this conservative chap. He seems like a nice chap and all from what you describe here, to listen to your bakbak and all that. But girl, when you enter the realm of the in-laws and there is a noose tied around your basic freedoms (that you have grown accustomed to and take for granted), then its going to hit you, and hit you real hard. A creative free spirit like yourself will feel overburdened with all the rituals and formalities (and fakeness) that comes along with being a wife in a sari. I don't believe that your husband expects you to wear a sari in the house, and you so quietly accept it. I mean that's utter nonsense.

It seems like your fiance likes "his" version of what you really are, and will try and mold you to becoming his "Stepford wife". If he really understands you, he will let you be the "Aranyi" you are - a wild, yet compassionate being, with real feelings, sensitive, calls things as they are, and shoots straight. Wake up and smell the coffee, sista!!! I don't think this deal will work out from the way you describe it. All your writing, your expression, your being is based on being a revolutionary - revolting against norms, your parents, the mores of society, as if your only freedom was your expression, and now you wanna throw it all away for Mr. Stepford i.e. Mr. Lemme Show You The Way, Aranyi

Sorry, for sounding so crabby, but I'd rather call a spade a spade!!

12:27 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Thanks CO...
Yeah, a lot of my friends are worried, but my parents arent. You sacrifice somethings, and not others. He fell for me for the bustering frank person I am who tells sidey jokes, and wouldnt have done so if I did not have the requisite qualities to fit into his family. His family is pretty straight talking itself. As for etiquette, the principles are the same in every family, only its expressions are different. I didnt try to hide who I was one bit, and they have entered into this relationship willingly as well. Its just scary to think about all at once, but if I just let it be a natural process of evolution rather than an overtly arbitrary one, I think Ill be fine. Plus I have my family's support. Thanks for your concern, but now that Ive made teh choice, I guess Ill see how it will turn out!

1:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was to say 'Congratulations', but then again, what am I congratulating you on!? Why do people say 'Congratulations' when somebody gets engaged or married? If you think about it, one is getting attached to another person and his/her family. More emotions, happiness and sorrow alike, the wishes seem pale and unreasonable.

3:37 am  
Blogger hopefuldisposition said...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/sitbv3/reader/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-7847658-1175968?ie=UTF8&asin=0786881852

Someone i know recommended this book to me as I've been married 4 years and yes it is the small things (that don't really matter) matter :) If you know what I mean...I am going to pick up a copy of this for myself...it talks about life in general...but there is one that is called "Dont sweat the small stuff in Love".

Good Luck Aranyi...I hope in marriage you learn, bond, teach, grow and finally have fun!!! thats all that matters! I guess :)

11:38 am  
Blogger Sin said...

Congratulations! First time here. I really liked your openness. Good luck with your engagement and I'm sure it'll only bring good things your way. :)

3:21 pm  
Blogger Vini said...

Been through some of the archives and some posts hit home in more ways than you can imagine. I have had most of those doubts myself and they keep reappearing. (on an aside, I am positive PMS has some uncanny connection :)) I am in no position to alleviate or worsen ur concerns in any which way. All I can say is, these are justified and being strong and holding forth is perhaps the way to be. Or so I hope, for my sake as much as yours!

5:54 am  
Blogger Anil P said...

Give it your best shot, and the shot will travel a long, long way. Goodluck.

12:24 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Thank you so much for your kind words guys! Slowly and surely I am discovering that it may not be that bad after all! Of course the fear is still latent, but we all manage right?!

3:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

This post touched my heart. All your feelings reflect exactly the way my fiance feels at this moment. The long distance "romance-on-the-phone" may sound boring, but there is an unusual spark about it. And its always hard for the girl to adjust to so many changes all at the same time. But love is above everything and you jus tend to enjoy all the changes...

Marriages is scarry....but love conquers all fears,...

In the same boat, Ross.
=======================

1:59 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Thanks Ross,
That's a cute phrase! I should remember that!
And romance on the phone, isnt boring, just frustrating! I guess it builds up the face-to-face comfort/excitement though!

2:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter