Post-Engagement Meltdown
I read Shobha De's Spouse, on marriage. And she gives some very good, commonsensical, practical advice. It's worth reading I think, and I feel a bit more prepared for marriage. I also read a sweet teenage-fluff romance novel of my mother's called the Enchanted Circle by Renee Shann, set in rural 1950's England with its sweet protagonist the 18 year old Jane staying at her aunt's house for Christmas, who falls for the dandy Geoffrey who falls for a gamourous actress, and who is also oved by Geoffrey's younger brother Andrew. Who gets te girl is the story of our lives, a time-tested, sympathy winning formula, the stuff great love stories are made of. Commonsensical and sweet. In contrast was a lovely lyrical love story set in Afghanistan called Samira and Samir by an Iran-raised Afghan writer called Siba Shakib set in the 1990's, about a girl who is raised as a boy and the stuff she goes through growing up and what happens when she is left to fend for herself and her family. Very good book.
Oh, but I was talking about engagement and change. Wow.... and what change. For some reason people tell me I sound so much happier, like Im glowing even over the phone, when I didnt think I was really. People tell me I have really changed, but maybe they could see it before I did. I dont know if I have. Certainly, Ive become more conscious of the specific changes I need to make in my thought, speech and actions - I now have a whole new set of people whose lives I impact, and thats a scary responsilbility, the weight of which has most certainly not escaped me, and one that reduced me to tears too often in front of my fiance. Thankfully that has passed, and I feel a tad more capable of handling married life and all its many challenges. For instance, on this trip, I patienly helped my mother pack, I tried my hand at a spot of ironing (only my outfit daily), and have recently (since yesterday) started learning to cook. I am trying not to think of it as a big bore, which has been the reason for my desisting an extended rendezvous in the kitchen all these years - my tryst began at 15, and in giving me in marriage to an Indian abroad, Fate seems determined to make sure I conquer the kitchen.
My life recently has revolved around shopping and its assorted follow-ups - get fall-bidding done on saris, have blouses and petticoats made, check and follow up on orders, check fits, go shopping for jewelry, go here, go there, visit people, plan the wedding and figure out gifts etc, basically the life of housewives I have looke dupon with contempt all my life. I have been drowning in intellectal stagnation all month - many were the times I wanted to blog something lovely that I saw, but didnt have a computer on hand or had too many people demanding my time and attention, not less my fiance, (but him I dont grudge one bit!). One big change has been phone calls to people who once were simply names in my life. The building and maintenance of relationships. The development of consummate tact - the universal band-aid to all relational ills. One that I do not possess in even less than sufficient measure. SIGH.
Im going back to work on Monday thank God. I have so much to catch up on, and while Im looking forward to being busy and away from the constant phone calls and noise and coordination and inefficiency of home, Im also oddly restless because Ive been on the move so much, and so dependent on other people's time to get my work done. Now I shall have no one to blame for my routine glitches but myself. I want to get back to blogging but its hard to find time to think properly and write it all out and frankly I got lazy. I guess blogging has become like working out for me - once I get out of the loop I have to make a conscious effort to get back in. Plus Ive been all depressed and listless because my fiance has gone away, (though I hope to meet him for an hour at the international airport tomorrow night between flights - though I pray I get at least 2!!!!! Funny how priorities change - I dont step out of my house to meet someone 5 minuts away for 20 minutes, and here I am about to go traipsing to the airport an hour away and back). And since today is a sort of good day and it is the first week of the month of Shravan, I have started blogging and am going back to dance class after a month-long hiatus (not of my doing!) Soon I shall upload pictures.
People really do change. And its fine when its a lovely peaceful natural process of transition, when you're able to take things in your stride, assess them maturely and compassionately, no matter how difficult they may seem to be to accept, keeping in mind what the person who is asking for this change from you means to you, and what you are with that person and that family. Then no odd is insurmountable, no change too difficult, no principle too rigid. I have always maintained that one should not cut one's nose to spite one's face, and that some sacrifice for the greater good is not only healthy, but also necessary. Otherwise one forgets one's humanity. This is all very vague but you will understand if you've ever been in such a situation or if you ever come across it. I read in my elevator (I have a very enthu building society committee that likes to post up jokes and quotes and email forwards) that Truth has a bitter beginning but a sweet ending and I have found that to be very true, especially after meeting my fiance. In arranged marriage it is difficult to confide all your deepest fears and insecurities to an near stranger, no matter how much you may like him or her, but it is necessary, not only for it cleansing properties, but also for your relationship. If your relationship weakens rather than strengthens after such admittances, then at least you have had the chance to see the not-so-nice side of your partner, and been exposed to his/her fighting style. That is once piece of advice I would give to anyone entering an arranged alliance: TAKE YOUR TIME, BE HONEST, if not in the first couple meetings, then at least before you say yes officially to your folks, and only THEN take a decision on the quality of your partner. Character should be less judged on the basis of a past than the creation of and acceptance of a future by the mature and sensitive handling of the present.
Oh, and you dont just KNOW. There is no magic spark or whatever, at least not in my experience. But there is honesty, and kindness, and consideration, and principles, and respect, and sense of humour, an a certain comfort, a space in which you can be yourself. A space in which there is laughter, but also tears, kindness, but also cruelty, togetherness, but also separation. The important thing is to acknowledge that there is no ONE, but to make peace with your past and present possibilities, and acknowledge that you have committed to someone who you will make the most important person in your life. Besides you, if you like.
Change is the rule of the universe. Commitment can be our only constant.

10 Comments:
Don't think too much. You will be fine. You clearly have the intelligence and moxie neeeded :)
Sorry are you moving overseas after marriage or did I misunderstand?
Thank you Jay! Yes, Im moving to New Jersey! What's moxie?
:) I'm happy for you.
Welcome to NJ, whenever you get here. I live in Delaware as you know. What place in NJ if it is ok to ask?
Moxie is..
1. The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage.
2. Aggressive energy; initiative: “His prose has moxie, though it rushes and stumbles from a pent-up surge” (Patricia Hampl).
3. Skill; know-how.
Well..you are truly a bundle of contradictions…someone sent me a link to your blog on marriage couple of months ago and since then I’ve been following the entries quite regularly. Somehow, I can see a clear transition here. Now you seem to be this typical desi-girl head-over-heels in love with this guy as opposed to say a prima donna of some kind, that I pictured while reading your blog first time. This is absolutely not a bad thing, but sadly you were a more interesting read to me before than now. No offense meant here. This is just an opinion and the blog is yours to express in whatever way you wish…good luck
ah..and lastly can’t help but notice - another desi imported to united states of fuckin' america :D
Shashi,
Not much other interesting stuff has happened recently. When it does, Ill let you know. I dont have time to even tear my hair out at all the annoying crap i have to do when I just want to go read or be with my friends or think about life. And the issues I DO have are a bit private to deal with. So we shall have to wait till I can talk about them diplomatically or unless I read papers and find something to anger me. Glad you enjoyed some part of me. I shall try to save some of that passion that has been so recently diverted to ahem, 'domestic' activities for online ;)
Well..good to know that you'll be your usual self ...bitchin' about things and life in general after a while (or is it the other way ? ;) ..just kidding.. anyways its bed time for me here..good night & good luck!
ah..and lastly can’t help but notice - another desi imported to united states of fuckin' america :D
Lay of my country will you? It's not like India is the epitome of all that is perfect. :)
Yeah, I agree with Karmic. Although, the US of A is the biggest imperialistic juggernaut since the dawn of mankind, Shashi's comment: "another desi imported to united states of fuckin' america" are downright derogatory on Aranyi and her decision to move where ever she chooses to. And what is the current state of India? A bastardized version of the USA with its fake MTV VJs, fake accents, and very fake attitudes. And wassup with all that fake Indian art that is as hacked as it gets with the Tyebs, Razas and god know who noveu fucks pretending to be new Masters!!!! So back off, Shashi!!!
its just a slang fellas..nothing derogatory ..new fuckin jersey..san fuckin diego (my home town since i was a teen :D)..ted fuckin nugent..you name it. its like saying its bitchin..or it rocks !!!..take it easy.
Post a Comment
<< Home