One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Past Friday 55: Judging Kaavya and Joya

Via Sepia Mutiny over 2 weeks ago and yes, things work late as usual in my IST influenced brain and lazy siesta-esque mental sensibilities (what can I say, Ive been busy getting mad at arranged marriage men) :

The theme for that week was Kaavya Vishwanathan and the sudden retraction of the bouquets laid at her feet to make way for brickbats to be hurled. Now I havent been thinking about the poor girl because I wondered what she would be feeling throughout the entire fracas and what precisely her role was in all of this (I dont believe everything the newspapers say, because they don't ever probe thoughts and feelings, only something shifty they call evidence, particularly in this case). From the many many articles on Sepia Mutiny, which is where i get most of my desi-related news, and subsequent opinions, I still feel that she was misled and her name is being dragged in the dust over that of her publishing companies. Maybe she just read TOO much chick-lit for her own good.

First of all, why did they have to change her original, darker manuscript? Why did the publishers not do their research? And honestly, these people are asses. If there are only a few words or overall passages flicked from assorted authors, but the overall story is original, what difference does it make? How varied and imaginative can chick-lit be? With a high-school theme where everyone aspires for a Sex and the City lifestyle. Chick lit (from my limited exposure to it), involves shopping, parties, money crises, friends, many guys, sabotages to projects/plans/men and assorted levels of catfights to get aforementioned guys. And giggle-inducing make-out encounters.

Come on people! I am of the opinion all this lawsuit nonsense has made people in America leeches. There should be some limit to this 'intellectual property' stuff. A certain clause structure or tone is not any writer's patented style, or specific to the author alone. Children in any region growing up in a somewhat homogenous environment and think in certain prescribed ways and thus use prescribed structures. We all learned long words or certain phrases from certain authors. Books have immense power to shape sensibilities! Rather than suing, these authors should have simply asked for acknowledgement and had their own books promoted through hers! That would have been a smarter publicity move than disgracing Kaavya and bringing attention to their own rather poor writing style. I would assume that they were simply threatened by her fame! A 17 year old writing about 17 year olds? Of course she was treading on their turf and likely to be seen as more credible! Geeez.

Thus, here is my 55:

The vendor excitedly held up the book at my car window. Opal Mehta’s skinny arms clutched books and sandals, as my Indian sensibility clucked in disapproval at the contact between paper and footwear. I considered buying one just for posterity’s sake, and felt pity for the poor girl. “In India we were encouraged to copy”.

(Heck, I almost feel like buying a copy out of solidarity with the girl. To have a piece of fiction behind which lies an interesting story I can tell my kids, about a publicity stunt gone horrible wrong, and scare them from being lazy over the overachieving attempts at papers they are bound to write!)

Hell yeah! The plagiarism situation in India, is for the most part, nonexistent and pathetic. People steal ideas left right and centre, as is amply demonstrated by the immense creativity of our Bollywood industry in terms of script and music. We were encouraged to copy and regurgitate in school. (I know many of my phoren friends object to this system but I think ICSE ROCKS till then, HSC SUCKS ASS, and I wouldnt know about senior college. We are exposed to good literature here and our math techniques are superlative. Creativity can be only encouraged when their is a norm existent to understand and only then transcend. Otherwise it is chaos). I distinctly remember going to Nehru Centre and other libaries for my ICSE History and Geography projects, and copying directly from the texts available there. No quotations, no in-text citations, just changing the tenses, direct/indirect speech, and order of the words. And a long list of references at the end of the project. I think thats why we Indian students were so careful about plagiarism and citations in colleges abroad... not to mention lawsuits! But I ALWAYS got the bloody systems wrong! Damn annoying, no matter how hard I tried. Plus working with different methods each time! A separate English one, separate Psych one, then the Harvard one at grad school, oof! And once you read a book and shut and returned it, and then you wrote something relevant from there, what a pain to go find it again! Because the paper rarely turns out the exact way one thinks it will! I'm not justifying Kaavya's plagiarism if it was intentional, but I dont believe it was. Then again, who am I to judge?

Speaking of judging, I'm quite curious to know what opinion people must have formed of me after those virginitywala posts. It was heartening to know most people agreed, or believed in the right to maintain personal opinions on the part of both, and that people were for the most part intelligent and as respectful as they could be in the throes of passion hehe. But for instance, one commenter already assumed the kind of person I would be in bed, and honestly, that freaked me out a little bit. That the type of people they are necessarily translates into an impression of the kind of people they'll be sexually. In my experience, its usually translatable (in the case of men - but it takes a good deal of time and skilful observation. It's relatively easy to tell selfishness or self-involvement or overall love-making personality type and to tell penis type, (fat thin long short etc) but skill or the number of previous partners is difficult, unless the person is a smooth talker, and I tend to stay away from those types.) I dont like it when people assume things about me from a stray sentence, and I dont judge people for their lives either.

I stopped judging people in the sophomore year of college in my English class relating to women and literature. One of the very intelligent women in my class (I was seriously a lost puppy with relatively black and white ways of seeing things then) spoke about how our previous opinion of people tend to influence our opinions of their sexual or other 'moral' activities. About how a sexually active friend was 'independent' and 'in control', but a girl one disliked was a slut. And it led me to realise that the sam eperson will be judged differently by different people for no fault of hi/her own, and as merely a consequence of the judger's own situation. The same way, I, for example, was considered modern, liberal, socially aware in college amongst foreigners, but was considered overly modern, independent and a libertine, (yeah, thats a bad thing in a patriarchal, traditional, communitarian society like ours), and therefore fast - by Indians. I became aware of my biases and honestly feel all the better for having become so.

Its an interesting perspective, and a good way to recognise and purge ego in our interactions with people we have ambiguous feelings about - heck, even those we hate. They have something we don't, dont they?!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Aranyi, that was a nice post, albeit meandering from Kaavya to perceptions based on judgements. I would take a different stance on Kaavya. First, she is 19, not 17. Second, her plagiarism was NOT unintenational or inadvertant. For someone to be at Harvard and not be aware of Honor code, plagiarism is ridiculous, especically if one is a writer or at least that's what she claims. She thought she could get by the radar, but unfortunately she did not. For someone to take a verse or one paragraph from somewhere else is one thing. No, no. In her case, she stole many many passages from other authors. If you put the authors' books next to her book, you can see the semblances, and they are not just ideas, but words, and sentences. So there is no doubt she stole.... and she is a thief.

What would be worth looking into is the mind and background of Kaavya V, who comes from an affluent New Jersey families, and my guess is that where it started. Pressure from the parents to succeed, to be a star, drive, Ivy chutzpah, "I wanna be different at Harvard", "I wanna stand out amongst these snobs", "I wanna be a snob myself", "Ooh, look at me, I am a great writer".

They say creativity is borne out of strife and deprivation. Kaavya had it all - wealthy parents, money, Harvard -- but she lacked creativity. But driven by pressure, she had no choice but to steal... so she did, and now she's getting what she deserved. Why shouldn't she? Maybe, she will wisen up and become "truly" creative from this lesson.

8:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said you stopped judging people. The truth is you or noone can truly stop judging people. It's an innate quality we all have to (maybe) protect us from harm's way, ward off the bad influences or accept the good ones, based on your judgement of them. It's good to judge, but bad to be carried away by strong judgements. Or rather, if you judge, make sure you have an open mind, and a balanced value system that is well informed with knowledge.

If you stopped judging your numerous "arranged" suitors that lined up outside your door, you would have married the first guy you met.

Most Indian men would have an unfavorable impression of a liberal strong-minded person like yourself and MAY equate it to being immoral, fast, disobedient. But why do you care or even be affected by what such losers think? That's their problem, not yours. Most Indian men want a trophy wife, someone who makes them chai, is willing to make out with them (when commanded), has orgasms when they have sex with them, and who will hang out in their "circle" of close fiends - "the inner circle", who will always look presentable with nice beautiful hair, and the list is endless. I am sure, growingly, women are also making some ludicrous demands of their "dream spouses". What about the days of yore when the expectations would be: a good man, honest, hard-working, dignified, caring, non-violent, and gallant.

8:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gud one ...

liked ur thoughts

1:22 pm  
Blogger Makhtub said...

Give kavya a break, she was only 17 when she wrote it or got inspired or whatever!!

We all make mistakes, I dont think anyone must judge her at all, wev done many foolish things too at that young age, which cannot be compared or tracked with Kavya but well I guess the pt is everyone has their own skeletons in their closet, just it does not always comeout or get so high profiled!!

Live and let live, she isonly human!

5:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Makhtub, she is human, and so was Richard Nixon. Should we forgive him as well? Kaavya V is the malaise that is plauging the media world these days - a lack of original ideas leading to daylight robbery. Bollywood is a fine example of such a mockery.

What galls me more is the Ivy League hubris, and the deceiptfulness of her work. That totally smacks!!! I am glad she was exposed, and she should pay the price. Why should age be a barrier? She was paid half a million in her book deal. Like that wasn't enough? Get paid like an adult, so get treated like one, and also punished like one.

5:21 pm  
Blogger Hussain said...

I cant comment much about Kaavya bcoz I have not read her book neither the so called "copied" parts, but I think this whole thing has did her more good than bad. She got paid a huge sum, her book sales are high, so much publicity, and though her image is negative in the media, people have short memory and will forget what she did, but remember her. SO all in all it has been great for her.

And Aranyi, I have been reading your blog for quite sometime now, good stuff. Esp. like reading your movie reviews, at least someone is a movie buff like me :-)

11:26 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

I know she was well off and pressurised and all that, but Im still not sure whether she actually sat with a book in her hand and ticked off passages she wanted to copy. (If she did, of cours,e I wouldnt have any sympathy at all) She is a teenager from New Jersey after all, and their speaking style tends to be very valley-girl colloquial, and American high school life as we are amply aware seems to be filled with such intrigues. All I was trying to say is that chick lit style tends to be very generic anyway, unless someone has a unique writing style. But whatever, I still feel this has reflected far worse on the publishers, who people arent seeming to pay as much attention to as the girl.
Maybe what should be blamed is the entire college admission process. Even when I was at Vassar they'd been having discussions about removing the SATs and reducing pressure because most kids got to college burned out. In fact I feel the opposite has been happening.

Im not sure if creativity is only borne out of stress and deprivation, but necessity certainly is the mother of invention.

And you're right about the judging people bit to some extent. Im much more careful - I dont make snap judgemensta nymore, because it's unfair to hold someone to first impressions. Some people I vibe with, some people I dont. I believe individuals have a right to choose whom they want to associate with, but just because they dont get along with them doenst mean there's anything wrong with either of them morally or fundamentally. People dont seem to be content with 'live and let live', they prefer everything and everyone tobe on their own terms, which is where problems arise.

And Co, i hope you can spread awareness around the Indian men you know (we should all do our small part to emancipate Indian marital life), orgasms dont arise out of the man simply being there... it takes effort!

And Thanks Hussain and Anonymous!

11:50 pm  
Blogger madhavan said...

"Good writers borrow, great writers steal," so said
TS Eliot who wrote something called Wasteland which is a jumble of exact words and sentences picked from other sources.
But you cant question that because that's Eliot and he's won a Nobel prize. That's creativity.

Malcolm Lowry who's probably written the most beautiful prose ever written in a book called Under The Volcano wrote a book called Ultramarine when he was 17 or 18 and which, as it turned out, had a considerable number of exact words and sentences from another book. It was completely unintentional but he got panned for it and it took him about 30 years to write his second novel.

The creative process is a complicated one and it's easy to write it off using the words - SHE STOLE.
Writing a novel is hardly like writing a software program. Most writers, painters, singers, etc. really dont have a clue where their stuff comes from. That's why it's called creativity. You cannot sit down and plan a Guernica or Midnight's Children.

Kaavya book has about 20 odd 'lifted' paragraphs and the book, I am surmising, must be about 250 pages. What's the big deal?

And so what even if she stole? As my good friend JC used to say, "Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone." It's just incredible how the world suddenly become a paragon of morality when it has been agreed that someone is there to be kicked around.

12:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Aranyi,

Not to flog a dead horse. You know that the book has been recalled - even Frey's book wasn't. Kaavya's deal was a disaster. Please go through Sepia Mutiny links. She has passages after passages for at least 4 books.

I agree she was 17 when the book was written. Remember, she was given half a million US dollars for book advance and touted as wunderkind. Honor code, she should know better being at Harvard.

I feel sorry for her but it is a cautionary tale. Let her go on with her life. After all, it was chick lit packaged by Alloy/ 17th Street.

2:46 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Thanks Kush, I know. But when her original story was much darker for all you know those copied passages might not even have been there. I know her deal was cancelled and everything. Im just surprised such a big deal was made of her being published at all in the first place - the money, the fame, everything. It is most certainly a cautionary tale. Media really can make or break people.

3:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aranyi said:

"But when her original story was much darker for all you know those copied passages"

Yes, but I gather that it was also based on an already published story. That is OK for a 16 year old's scrap book or just being a budding writer. Supposedly, it was just a piece she showed to IvyWise. Not to be touted as a wunderkind, worthy of huge $$$$.

Then Alloy/ 17th Street took over. She, neither her parents are innocent. Nobody will ever know the complete details. Everyone was in it. She was marketted as a pretty, minority, high achieving debtuante and it backfired. As I said, it is time to move to on for her folly.

Half a million dollar can make people do strange things - with more millions in sight, dreamworks deal - booker prize later (her own words)

10:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kush is right on target. Kaavya and her parents are no innocent lambs. Kaavya V not only plagiarized in one novel, but also in the other one, and other works are also being investigated. There is a diabolical trend going on here. A greed to succeed at any cost. Just that it proved too costly for her.

On a larger scale it exposes the malaise prevalent amongst American born kids and their parents, who push them so hard that it messes up the kids. I see this occuring quite commonly where these parents rant and rave about their kids going to Harvard, Yale, Cornell or wherever, and working as a doctor, investment banker or whatever. This competitiveness and back-stabbing culture is so prevalent here that it is sickening. I have a strong feeling that Kaavya emerged from such an upbringing that drove her to this dastardly act of plagiarizing.

Sorry, for sounding so bitter, but someone should say something about the double-standards of Indians living in the USA, where they claim they want to raise their kids with an open mind but are close-minded when it comes to issues of marriage or career. She must marry a Brahmin boy, he must be a doctor, and so on..... yuk!!!!

10:35 am  
Blogger Selma Mirza said...

Bloggers' meet tomorrow! Do come :-)

Venue: TGIF, Infinity Mall
Time: 3 pm

10:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter