One Voice, Many Worlds
A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.
About Me
- Name: Princess Joya
- Location: Home
Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq
Saturday, April 29, 2006
You have undoubtedly heard abouyt Pravin Mahajan shooting his brother and BJP bigwig Pramod Mahajan, him being admitted to Hinduja Hospital and needing a liver transplant, the innumerable publicised excursions by his children to Siddhivinayak temple, the ridiculous amounts of sadhus coming to Bombay from all over India, and yogis assuming all sorts of Indiarubber acrobatic positions and headstanding on live coals etc for his recovery, and the latest, Pravin's wife offering fervent prayers for his recovery!
OK, honestly, everything in this post is a result of hearsay and some mild deduction on my part, a bit of newswatching and breakfast table discussions. I haven't been reading the papers at all in protest of the minor annoyance the roadblock outside Hinduja Hospital causes me everyday on my way to work (it was so funny to hear my opinionated driver pronounce that "These politicians think they are Gods. Hehehe). And it's true! I heard on Radio from Jaggu and Tarana (who else!) that there are only 3 fully equipped ambulances in Bombay, and how one of them has to follow visiting diplomats around in case anything happens to them, and the inconvenience this causes to civilians who are actually experiencing illness at the time. And how it makes no sense to follow them around because they are all congregating at the hospital anyway! (Im also mad about Praful Patel - our aviation minister's highandedness in assuming that just because he hold's a diplomat passport he must not appear in person to identify himself to immigration authorities, and when asked, demanding an apology from airport authorities! Is it such a big deal to show your face for one second? He doesnt even have to stand in line! Hello! These people are here to serve the country!!! They have to comply by the regulations in their constitution, by the regulations set by THEM and the people in charge before them! For all we know, terrorists have probably developed sophisticated enough technology to be able to forge diplomat passports! It's true, only women seem to lead by example. Disgusting.)
However, I heard two days ago that the real reason Pravin shot Pramod was not money, or property or attention-seeking, but because Pramod was having a little *ahem* dalliance with Pravin's wife. Now I'm ready to believe it, because, as I've said earlier, nothing surprises me anymore. That could very well be the last straw for a man who has already felt shortchanged by the success of his brother, or , it could be the result of a base instinct that has been homed into a societal norm for millenia. Like Ive said, either explanation is plausible.
What really provokes this post is my father's reaction when I told him this new gossip. While I mother became wide-eyed and secretly thrilled at this juicy tidbit, my father pooh-poohed it! Snorting that it couldn't possibly be a simple base territorial instinct on the part of a chauvinistic, traditional man, and that it must have been simply money or property. What! Does this statement by my father imply that after a point in material and educational progress, a woman is simply not worth fighting over, when there is material wealth at stake? Or that a husband's integrity or honour is merely an antiquated belief?
Is it that inconceivable when horrible practices like Swara and dowry harassment are still prevalent in India and Pakistan? Where sati and female infanticide once existed? Where women keep conceiving and delivering till they bear at least one son? Where, according to the Bhagavad Gita, a woman is supposed to be the moral fabric of society? Where our politicians are not only corrupt hoarders, but also morally lax, involved as they are in almost every nefarious profession in India, be it cheating, smuggling, dance bars? (I'm not saying that some laypersons aren't - they pretty much lap up the smuggled goods and frequent those places that have engaged in scams for convenience. So I guess we're indirectly encouraging them).
On one hand we have the high society party types where infidelity and variety is rampant and flourishing, and on the other hand we have a prominent right-wing-political family in the midst of a private scandal made public, the motives of which are rife with controversy. Which kind of morality is right? Is Pravin's motive more noble if he was saving his own honour and violently confronting his brother? Does a man ever lose the hold he seems to need over a woman, be it physical, financial, psychological, for his own sanity, and be okay with it? Is a woman more valuable a commodity when there is something other than emotional value attached to her? Or is that enough? Does she then come on par with property and money? *dripping with sarcasm*
I really wonder what my dad meant, but I know he wont be able to explain it, besides emitting a derisive snort.
And I really wonder whether Pravin's wife is praying so publicly because she wants to acknowledge her relationship with Pramod, or because she wants to publicly atone for Pravin's act by demonstrating that the family really has nothing against him. Just curious, not judgemental.
But I do know that Im even more suspicious of the BJP and its religious network. Why would all these holy men flock to Bombay to pray for a politician?
I'm not happy with the Congress and the stupid Mandal Commission II either. Manmohan Singh bechara is the face of Congress the way Vajpayee was for the BJP, placid, wise and calm. and Of course Sonia, with her knowing smile.
Sigh.
This is an interesting post on reservations and the Mandal II. I wish I had an opinion but i havent experienced ANYTHING to do with caste, only the fact that St. Xaviers is reserved 25% for Christians and another 25% or so for the SC/ST/OBCs. I'd rather wish that we didn't have to do all this to put people on par with one other, that everyone had equal opportunity from the start.

8 Comments:
yuk yuk!! Indian politics with all its mirch and masala. Hey Aranyi, you should blog on this topic about this ABCD sophomore Harvard girl being accused of plagiarism.
http://www.eyewitnessnewstv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4836690&nav=F2DO
Twenty-year-old Harvard junior Rita Parai says some people are (quote) "downright gleeful" and delighting in the misfortune of their classmate.
The reason for this action by this confused ABCD girl probably stems from her New Jersey household, where her uber-ambitious parents may have pushed her to the very point of committing this act. I see it more and more around me where desi parents want to get their kids to Harvard and other Ivy League schools, at any cost. The confused ABCD kid who probably possessed little originality did not want to displease her parents, and also wanted to outcompete her jealous collegemates may have been inclined to commit plagiarism to get a little ahead. Maybe, she did not know, but I think she was probably a little too smart for that. Anyways, justice was done, and the ABCD was exposed.
Indian politics is like a heavy lunch meal, "Kabhi kabhi hazm hota hai kabhi kabhi bad-hazm hota hai."
http://yehundinokibaat.blogspot.com/
Funny story. Ye what is with all the religious folks coming to pray for this guy?
Sorry but are reservations a big issue again in India. Politicians esp the ones in power all over the place think they are special.
I don't think a motive is noble if the person uses violence to defend it, esp in this case.
I don't get this man having a hold over the woman. Aren't times changing? ISn't arelationshsip supposed to be something in concert? I mean it may not always be harmonious but that's sort of the point, its not going to be but we still strive to work together?
Aranyi.. I wrote up a restaurant review of sorts of this great place in NYC that I was at. Would appreciate any comments you might have.
CO..whats with the ABCD references man? He he unless you are using them off-handedly. I mean they aren't always confused. As for the story of Kavyaa Vishwanathan. The whole get your kids in to Ivy League is so well managed. Everything is done to get the most benefit, tutoring, classes and so on. Looks like she clearly plagiarised (41 passages were found to be almost identical)
CO.. there is a restaurant review at my blog. I believe you are near NY right? Thought you might be interested in giving it a read.
Thanks
Hey Karmic: Looks like you are taking your blog to the next level with restaurant reviews and all that. I am a good 10 min walk from that restaurant. Haven't been there, but will check it out. Lemme know when you come down to NYC again.
Co. Thanks :) It's not the next level or anything. I really like food. I don't get enough time to write about it. Will let you know the next time I am in NYC.
The question that comes to me about the Mahajans is whether, if the family was not political and powerful, would Pravin Mahajan have had a gun with him. Maybe he would have killed his brother with a knife or something but that wouldnt be as easy as shooting him down. So, will Pramod Mahajan die as a result of the power that he spent his life accumulating and which he distributed?
And yes, you havent experienced ANYTHING to do with caste, but you have experienced SOMETHING to do with reservation, as your words show. Everyone agrees on caste and there is a politically correct consensus on it. The issue is reservation and not caste. Did you find St Xavier's a lesser insitute because it has 50 % reservation. It's the best college for Arts in town and maybe the country. I mean, this much is enough to start forming an opinion...
Actually, I did. I dont know if it was the reservations per se. BUt I had problems with the syllabus, particularly in the low English stamdard. I know it was prescribed by the HSC board and was probably designed to be more practically-applicable, or if the syllabus had been changed according to the mandates of Mandal 1 to accomodate people with poorer skills. They didn't teach us anything about comprehension, imagination. It was like grooming for bureaucracy or something - boring as all hell.
I didnt have problems with the people or whatever. My marks were good enough. I am all for helping a disadvantaged person come up and all that, but I think the stress should also be on financial disability as well.
However, I think the entire thing is badly managed. I think education at lower levels shoudl be improved. people's prejudices must be eradicated and children allowed to go to school and encouraged to study by a dedicated adult community. Only then can everyone prosper at equal opportunity. Reservation is only a temporary solution and I hope it is removed in a couple of decades. But for that, change has to be occuring simultaneously.
What was the point?
confused
Post a Comment
<< Home