One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Friday, May 12, 2006

Marriage/Virginity/Questions/Viewpoints

Wow!!! Sorry, Ive been away and not hiding, and in a way Im glad I haven't been around to respond to each commentor indidividually because this way I have had the opportunity to read many varied, and intellligent comements at once, so thank you.

This is a very sensitive topic, and I was initially afraid to write about it, particularly make it personal in the form of mmy views and experiences, and yet, its such a small, almost quotidienne occurrence in arranged marriage, it's almost taken for granted, that people sort of rush over it and move on. Honestly, I dont know any other girl who was asked this, but then again, I dont know many girls who question things the way I do, or who aren't ashamed of voicing their opinions on something they found faulty, simply because it's 'not done'. So I wonder, is it just I who get the freaks? Or is there something about me that compels them to ask this question that they would normally not ask other girls?

To me, arranged marriage is not about making a decision in an hour and just going blindly with it, and saying yes to anyone who asks. It is simply a method of meeting a pre-approved person from the same background as one (not caste/community etc necessarily, but similar financial/religious/educational/mentality), and then figuring out for oneself if its working out or not. You know... the IT factor. The thing that pops in your brain and gives you the sign that s/he is the one. In that broad theoretical perspective, I really do believe its a great method. It gets faulty as a practice because feelings, egoes, levels of conservatism etc come in the way. (And yes, evidently I haven't met the right guy yet. But that is fodder for another post).

To clarify though, the previous post stated my rather confused views on the topic, in a jumbled up sequence. I'm not stating that sex schools need to be opened up and everyone needs to be an expert at the art of pleasing men and women, simply because there is no way to be. Even kissing, something that is generically done between young couples, whether the other explorations of affection are undertaken or not, differs from person to person. So how on earth can one person be expected to know in advance the erogenous zones of every individual on the planet? One can't. Because human beings aren't predictable in that regard. Whether one is a virgin or not, one has no experience in regard to that NEW person lying in the conjugal bed with one, and given the right affection, trust, respect, and openness and intent, that discovery is most certainly bound to pleasurable and increase love, wellbeing, relations and all that other good stuff.

To me, openness is key, whether one is himself or herself a virgin or not. Virginity isn't always a choice you know. People do pay lip-service to norms, even those who aren't, because it's safer, but a lot of the time, the presence of virginity is likely to be circumstantial. Not the right time, place, person, parents too protective. Or, to carry it to an extreme (why not?) rape. If a woman has been a rape victim in the past, she is evidently not likely to be a virgin. Hence does she qualify for that question? What is she supposed to answer? Does that make her more or less objectionable than the woman who has had sex with a partner for love? Tell me that a dirty sort of feeling doesn't occur in your mind, however hard you may try to quell it? Tell me that, as sorry as you may feel for her, how likely you are to embrace her and deal with the emotional high-maintenance, and sexual inhibitions or lack of them that are bound to arise out of such trauma? (Unless you know her for a while of course, which we are not including here. The topic revolves around arranged marriage, and a decision to be made within a week or two or an equivalent of meetings and internet chat sessions/emails/phonecalls etc.)

My logic, skewed as it may be, and correct me if I'm wrong, (but then again, we'll never know, will we, given the subjectivity of human nature?), is that a person, who DEMANDS virginity, irrespective of his or her own status, is unlikely to be very open in the first place. If s/he demands virginity because he is insecure of his/her own sexual prowess/size/width/emotional ability, he is evidently not open is he? Not open to learn, improve, develop, trust. Ultimately, a marriage is about trust, honesty and respect. A marriage should ideally be less about the past and more about the present and future.

I'm just stating that virginity, TO ME, is not a very important part of a relationship. I am as likely as anyone else, to categorise a person on the basis of his/her sexual status, and that's WRONG. In my opinion, it really has no moral bearing on a person's character at all except as defined by the rules of society. And we all know that some of society's rules have more to do with hegemony than actual right and wrong. I had a male friend tell me once that "No guy wants a girl who is a village bicycle". That sentence had me so upset!!! Especially, when given the current social setup, how likely guys are to lie about girls they have been with! It's not merely a matter of numbers (like in American Pie II when they say, "When a guy tells you teh number of girls he's slept with, divide the number by 3!"). It's when they drag names into it, girls for no fault of theirs other than having the questionable gift of being very pretty/sexy/flirtatious/glamourous. Girls who had the misfortune to be seen by some malicious persons while hugging a friend at a nightclub after a bad day and who were then spoken of as "the girl who had made out/slept with XYZ guys" because some other people disliked her for some reason.

And to respond to a debate going on between Chandni and Funkaboy, a slut is not even a satisfactory definition. Why do men and women sleep with various people? Because its fun, its a discovery not juts in physical terms but I imagine a fascinating insight into human psychology. It's about the motive, not the accessibility. A guy may work hard and spend time, money and effort on a girl, but his ultimate intention isn't noble at all. She will just be another trophy to hang up on his wall because once he is finished with her, she's been well and truly screwed hasn't she? No turning back. His intention wasn't to LOVE and cherish her forever, in which case the sex would really be secondary right? And happen naturally. And yet, a girl gets called a slut because she enjoys sex a whole lot (whether its with one guy or many - trust me, I know men sometimes call their girlfriends slutty if they want it more than the men do), even when all she's really hoping for is a steady relationship. Is Samantha from Sex and the City a slut? She's immensely liberal, just like the average urban man, and I feel sad for her because she's confused and miserable as hell and is just looking for a fulfilling relationship when all she comes across are men who want her body. Yet no one thinks of a man in that way! Women and society lap up the 'confused' story!

I guess all I want to say is, sure, everyone has a right to their views, but as long as it is not imposed on other intellligent adults. One is welcome to want a virgin, but if one is going to drop possibly the best thing that ever happened to one, on that factor alone, or think that one has the moral superiority to 'forgive' someone their experience, one is truly deluded and should not be allowed to marry for a while. (And thankfully the universe tends to keep such people single till experience knocks some sense into them! Unless it misses a few of course.) As for me, I would love to meet a guy who's just... genuinely open. He doesnt have to be necessarily good looking, or studly. I honestly dont care if he's a virgin or not. I'm not interested in knowing that. It'll be fine either way. I just don't want to be asked that, because as if being subjected to the gender norms of being a good wife isn't bad enough, he needs to make explicit his preconceived and (to me) unreasonable and ignorant notions of what constitutes a good partner! (and moreover, one who will automatically bias the weight he gives to anything i say following depending upon my answer!) Who doesnt believe that the way I behave with him is the way I behave with other people, because he has a basic understanding of human nature and know that people are different with different people.

Yes, character, morality, a good understanding of right and wrong is extremely important to a good, healthy and faithful marriage, and we all really want that, because who else other than a partner (humsafar) has the power provide one the happiness and stability so badly needed in a rapidly changing and insecure world? But happiness isn't predestined; its a chance and an opportunity, and far healthier to base on the presence of red lips parted in a soft smile than on amorphous bloodstains on a surface somewhere in the mists of the past.

Thank you all for your wonderful comments and for making me think about my stand a little more. I'm sure I'm not done yet, but, there's endless food for thought in this, with all our myriad views and understandings of our little slice of the universe!

22 Comments:

Blogger dazedandconfused said...

"..presence of red lips parted in a soft smile than on amorphous bloodstains on a surface somewhere in the mists of the past."

Nice. Enjoyed reading both your posts and agree with you, of course.

6:10 am  
Blogger sathish said...

Questioning is something inherent within many. Some ask openly, some keep to themselves..
am still not sure if virginity is the only issue to decide a partner whether arranged or love marriages. there are many other important factors to be discussed.
My friend once in a big gathering said, why do people marry, just to have sex legally.
if it is for sex you choose a person and virginity is a big concern then it is not called marriage anymore.
sex is just one portion of married life.

7:16 am  
Blogger karmic said...

It's brave of you to put your thoughts out here, not everyone has the curage to do that so a hat tip is in order.

The question may be quotidian, but is has bigger implications as we all know. As for you being a magnet for freaks, no clue. Maybe they see this self-confident, assured intelligent good looking woman holding her own against them. This could be percieved as a threat or may be in their warped world view you must be someone "liberated" and hence the question? Dunno just a POV amongst many.

I have always been against arranged marraige per se, but I acknowledge it works for some folks. But having seen my sis got thru the process, I was never going to put another woman thru it.
But as you said it works, different strokes for different folks.

People are so hung up over sex, enjoy it responsibly like most things. As i might have said before if 2 consenting adults date and are in a loving relationship what they do is between the 2 of them. This is true of a married couple as well.

Your point about rape is well made. There are a lot of issues involved and the transition in to a normal relationship is very hard. Speaking for myself, I would embrace the person regardless but thats me. For me it's the person as a whole I look at.
The whole characterisation of a woman as a slut or a guy as a stud are easy to use labels. It's simple really.. what people do with themselves and their lives is really their own concern. But then different standards for men v/s women.. what's new? It's harder to see it happen in a society that has a pantheon of goddesses, claims to revere women but then treats them as a commodity in real life.
Well made points and my 2 cents for whatever it's worth, good luck.

7:45 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

virginity is a concept. new doors open when an individual looses his virginity; maturity, psychology, openess and tolerance for new things, thirst for other new experiences (in life or just sex), character, arroguance, personality, courage, temptation, and the list goes on and on, not to forget of course the pleasure of the sexual act itself, and you all know how good the orgasm feels. therefore, people should never regard virginity as "the flower to pop" only, but as a new dimension in life. which leads to the problem of wanting or not to marry a virgin. i personally live in a middle eastern country where people have an open mind, but where 30 years old virgin also exist. u can automatically read virginity printed on the virgin's face, in his/her moves, the way he/she talks, the way he/she sees life in the virgin's uptight angle. this girl i met a few weeks ago looked like an angel, tall with the body of a model, and she was pretty smart too... but i could tell she was a virgin just by the way she socialised.
as for the arranged marriage, i fully oppose it. couples are supposed to last, and this can happen through two things: a massive dominance by one of the individuals, or a cooperation between the two. a few weeks are therefore not enough to discover the partner of your life, and even if you think you know everything about your partner, always expect to discover new things about him/her or get ready for a very boring life. and everything is thrown in the mix: character, attitude, temper, tastes, even habits, good or bad. you can either choose to live happily ever after, or have this guy you were forced to marry dictate every move youll make the rest of your life. do not get me wrong, im sure that some or even several arranged marriages worked perfectly for both partners, but i've always been influenced by the idea of equal rights for all, and i think everyone has the right to choose how to live

7:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me play the devils' advocate here.

Whats wrong with someone who sleeps around? Has 10 sexual partners? Why do women look down upon such men? Is it not the same as men wanting virgin?

Question-How many women would marry a guy who openly says he has slept with 10 women?

Now go figure it out.

11:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Aranyi
Sex is a lot like cooking. You have to keep trying different recipes and ingredients to keep it interesting. From my limited knowledge of your personality, I'm sure that you and your man will enjoy multiple course gourmet meals every night ;)

I was specifically thinking of Samantha when I answered Chandni.
Samantha sleeps around because she enjoys sex. She puts great effort to get the most talented men into bed. She doesn't do it to get money or love. So she is a stud in my book. When Richard (the hotel tycoon) tries to make her commit, she freaks out. Even the Absolut hunk has to work hard to make her commit. So
I don't think that she was using sex just to get love.

As I said earlier, if a woman enjoys good sex in a good relationship,
I wouldn't judge her. A woman who uses sex to lure a man into a
relationship is worse than a whore. A whore is atleast honest in
her dealings.

@Chandni
I didn't understand why you don't accept my definition of a stud.
I wasn't talking about the virginity issue. I was just talking about the stud/slut issue, though my answer can be extended logically to answer the virginity issue.

Almost all Indian dads force their sons to concentrate on their
studies, enter a good college and get a cush job to add to his
brownie points in the marriage market. I have known guys who
are very offended when the first question out of the potential
father-in-law's mouth is "What is your salary?". So the system
of arranged marriage offends both men and women.

11:34 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Ahhh.... now the difference between a slut and a whore and simply a very stupid misguided woman... I specifically am addressing funakboy's
"A woman who uses sex to lure a man into a relationship is worse than a whore. A whore is atleast honest in her dealings." Wouldn't it depend what she was using sex for... to rather hopelessly get a guy to love her because she loved him, or to lure him for more materialistic pleasures such as being with the coolest guy in college, or financial security or whatever. I'm sure we have many whores in our society then. And many sugar daddies also.
See, it goes both ways. If the woman is getting a rich man, the rich guy is also getting a beautiful/charming/sexy woman. He's certainly not with her out of charity, so very rarely is either one without fault. In that case, we cant eally judge. Everyone's looking for their own gain. In such a case, you could also logically call arrnaged marriage a form of socially accepted whoring, only with temporal limitations on the sex.

And funkaboy and others who are judging me by my writings: Dont judge a book by its cover (or synopsis!)

11:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You obviously realised that Bandra Boy and Dulhe Raja were the same person. Me.

I was a bit disappointed at how things turned out in your earlier post comments.

Yet - l think I now realised what you mean when you say you're a bundle of contradictions.

All the best.

3:24 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

BB/DR,
Disappointed? What do you mean? Yeha the mini-flame thing going was a bit unnecessary, and I cant really appreciate when people get so riled up that they forget basic respect for someone and launch personal attacks, and yet, that happens to the best of us. So you shouldn't take it personally, because at the end of the day, we're all breathing the same air, and we're all silly in different ways. Thank you for participating and wish you and your wife and amazing life!
And what do you mean by " l think I now realised what you mean when you say you're a bundle of contradictions." ???? Im curious!

3:35 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think women who are sluts (and for that matter, men who are sugar daddies) are both suffering from the same issues: low self-esteem, and insecurity. A woman who is seeking sex form multiple partners is obviously not satisfied with one man, so she hops around. In the process she exposes herself to the risk of disease, hurt and abuse. Men who do a lot of this, are obviously putting themselves through the same set of risks.

People should realize the inherent benefits of monogamy. Check out the movie Eyes Wide Shut with Tom Cruise and Kidman.

BB and DR - looks like you are bipolar, and suffer from fear of using one identity. Get a life dude.

9:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Funkaboy and Aranyi:

Once again..I think this discussion is going way beyond the virginity issue.

I completely support Funkaboy's argument about arranged marriages adn diff demands which are charecteristic of "a good catch" whether it be men or women.

The point it. virginity , by itself as an issue is something that is expected of women when they enter marriage as opposed to men.

Its not evn in marriage...a friend of mine refused to go out with a girl even though he liked her...because she told him that she had had a relationship and wasnt a virgin! His reasoning" Bad charecter..has already slept with someone!"

All I am sayng...is that virginity is looked at as a mark of a "good" woman....

and we should be discussing why its alright for a man to have had sexual encounters and not women!!!

My sense is: Beacyse the way our society is, they can get away with it.

Arnayi: You have articulated my thoughts exactly in your respnse to me in the post, I completely understand, and agree

@Karmicjay: Bang on!!

9:00 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Thanks for the move tip Zkobl! You're right, in a society these days wher ethings dont last (partly because its our collective fault), people are insecure. Women or men who flit from partner to partner are probably looking for something in themselves as much as something in the other. Its really a misguided, despairing search. A question of not being able tos ee the forest for the trees, and really displacing hope onto an external entity.

Chandni, then it amounts to questioning why society is the way it is in the firat place, and that too mostly all over the world> Sociologists and other academicians have tried to explain it from various soical and genetic viewpoints, and there isn't a satisfactory answer yet! And men tend to be too comfortable in their position to try to change anything... I mean, who wants to cut their nose to spite their face right? Thanks for your comments, very valid and a sad demonstration that 'education' hasnt done much in the massive monolithic face of tradition. Maybe a couple mroe generations...

2:07 am  
Blogger karmic said...

Women or men who flit from partner to partner are probably looking for something in themselves as much as something in the other. Its really a misguided, despairing search. A question of not being able tos ee the forest for the trees, and really displacing hope onto an external entity.

You mean as opposed to in an arranged marriage, where compromises are made based in the short time period that one is allocated before coming to a decision?
And then what, unless things are really bad one chooses to stay in that relationship. Is this the forest that one sees speaking metaphorically?
I am not discounting that there is a physical aspect to some of these flitting from partner to partner thing or dating as some might call it. Maybe it also is looking for soemthing in themselves and the partner. But don't we always look for something in ourselves too when we try to be an ideal partner to someone in a relationship?
But how is it misguided and despairing? Is it wrong to want to look for someone that you think would be someone you want to spend your life with? I think not. The search may be despairing but it is not misguided.
So is the search for the ideal mate amongst the few that everyone who goes thru arranged marriages has to deal with.
I think the issue of forest v/s tree is eternal regardless of what relationship one is in. It's sort of like anything else in life it may work out or it might not.
Just my 2 cents.

8:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, Zkobl is co. I typed in the picture characters in the Name field by mistake, hence the "Zkobl" name. Regarding Karmic's point of view about its ok to hop around until you find the "ideal" mate.

Karmic: In the hopping around lies the real malaise my friend. In that respect, an arranged marrige is better if the parties are able to "meet" as many suitors until they narrow down the chase and then they can hone in.

Compare this to people meeting (online) and then deciding to "date" which comes with the sex, squabbles, and tears and all that. By the end of month 6 or 12 (or even sooner), its pretty much decided - make or break? And then they move on.... Where is the hope in this? If its a break, then you move on, and then on again and so on.

People have advanced to the point that they have "friends with benefits" on the side, and they continue to meet other singles in their quest for the ideal mate. This is how sorry things have become.

In that respect, arranged marriage is better than this never-ending deceitful dating nonsense.

I think the best is if people build up the intuition / gumption / sixth sense to identify the "ideal" partner, and that comes from the self, and not what you just see in others. A strong and confident girl who has developed a sixth sense for identifying the man she wants to spend the rest of her life will choose someone who fits the bill. A weak low self-esteem gold-digging loser girl who has no sixth sense has a high chance of making the mistake of choosing the wrong guy, and so on.

Look within, and you will know what you need.

11:41 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

well, at the end of the day, its more about the fact that you made a commitment for better or for worse, isnt it? you cant predict everythings that gonna happen in life, just hope for the best from the person s/he is NOW. was having this conversation with a friend of mine yesterday and she said this wise thing that's got me thinking. As you've said before, Jay, it really is no one's business... i guess im responding to the fact that individual quests for whatever in a partner are being judged.

CO, its rare that people meet many people at one time... nowadays (unless its a person visiting from abroad), the process is more like one at a time. and once you've made a decision about someone, its near impossible to go back and change it, so you have to be really careful and analyse all the way. You know, unless some feeling hits you that s/he's the one. its a horribel opportunity cost thing. I havent felt the spark yet and am worried about my ever being able to. So I'm wondering if i should settle for someone and make the commitment rather than wait for the spark. or should i not give up hope?

11:57 pm  
Blogger karmic said...

CO, I agree there are problems with the process, but no method is free of those. I prefer dating n getting t know the person over the arranged marriage route but hey thats me. But yes you bring up valid points.

As for the whole spark thing, may be one feels it may be one does not, but it's hard over such a short period of time over a few meetings. May be it is not a spark but a feeling of being comfortable with someone? Who knows what folks calls it..
Either ways I don't envy you for being where you are.

7:02 am  
Blogger karmic said...

Also sorry if I sound ignorant or something, you do have time on your side (age wise)? Or is one supposed to do this soon once the process starts?

7:04 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

No no... yougo on meeting till you find the one you want. Now whether finally choosing the 'one' is a result of actually finding what you want, or whittling away at your expectations till you meet someone you can live with, is somethig i have yet to discover. IM afraid of 'settling', though.

11:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sensed a little apprehension about your future sex life in your first post when you expected the guy to have some experience so that the first encounter is not too dorky.

In my experiences with funkagirl, I can say that a girl who can speak her mind and hold her own is usually open to trying new stuff. That translates to a great sex life.

I wasn't judging you. Just trying to assuage your doubts. Sorry if I freaked you out.

2:38 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Thank you funkaboy! I know what I am, Im worried the guy marry wont be or wont appreciate whatever it is i am! But the sentiment is much appreciated :)

11:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Aranyi - thanks a mil for your wishes. As for your contradictions, well, I'd rather not say it in a public forum.

And hey - all the very, very best to you in your efforts. There's a LOT that I want to say on this whole issue of finding a partner given that it took me more than 2 years to find my wife (and I did shaadi.com, family route, etc. etc). But - this is too personal an issue to generalise.

And in any case I don't like giving gyaan and stuff. It's much more fun to fall, get bruised, bleed and start walking all over again. Besides you don't look like the type who'd listen to gyaan. (and then again..you're also a bundle of contradictions!..joking, joking)

I had some very strong thots on virginity, which unfortunately somewhere in your "mini-flame" got a bit trivialised. So the last thing I want is to start another flame out here.

Once again all the very best and hope you find a phenomenal partner in every sense of the word. Once you do, I'd absolutely love your take on whatever you've said AND what others on your blog have said. (i.e a pre-marriage and post-marriage take)

Till then - enjoy your ride !.

4:53 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

BB is DR,
will do!

4:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter