Upon Entering the Emotional Realm of Womanhood
I have so much to say, so much that rages in my veins, so much, that after struggle and defeat, has already been suppressed, so much that words don’t describe as much as a pillow choking my face does. About how simplistic marriage can really be in India – a checklist of family, money, education, and looks – where girls have agreed to marry a guy upon meeting him for a few minutes simply on the basis of his face. Where a couple of meetings and a basic list of hobbies, domestic/money-making skills, and exes is all that matters. Besides that je ne sais quoi that makes up a couple’s chemistry and gives the couple the faith to make it through without overanalyzing. Ive been trying to get over my disgust at how… CONVENIENT the process is. At how love doesn’t matter, adoration, romance, sparks, quirks really don’t matter, at how it really is a matter of ‘no expectations’, though how that is possible I’ll never know. Is that how marriage works? On a philosophy of “Expect the worst, hope for the best”?
There’s more I want to say, as a woman, as a lover, as a daughter, as a sister, that I’m scared to, because my expressing them will make them real and scare me further, will allow people to misuse them, will shock and hurt many, including myself, not only because women don’t say these things, but because women are supposed to be … empty. Brand new containers to be filled with the stuff and errands and politics that conjugal life offers. That love, unfortunately, while being the most important ingredient in every detail this entails, is often glazed over.
Ive discovered that behind every seemingly placid married woman, is a love that, like a volcano, exploded, and in her fear and confusion, destroyed an important essence of herself. She realizes this, and scrambles to recover the vestiges of that most important essence. Afraid of this most important part of her being being scorned, desecrated, by those unworthy of understanding, perhaps rationalized, as a more social acceptable explanation, for being concerned for her reputation, she buries the embodiment of that essence deep inside, covering it carefully by years of forgetting, and by the blood and sinews and habits of a more… permanent… man. A love story that was impossible, unrealistic, irreconciliable, impractical. A path that is abandoned, albeit with great struggle and resistance, for the more acceptable, predictable path of security. Happiness that is passed over for a bunch of material goods and services, for relationships that should add up to something very much like happiness, in the immortal words of Gabriel Garcia Marquez. But not quite.
I remember my mother being very affected by the movie Devdas. And once she asked, “What if I had chosen love, instead of security?” And try as I might, I never got another word out of her.
What if, indeed?
It is this secret that women keep, that qualifies them to enter the hallowed world of the wife, joining the ranks of millions of women who tell their husbands everything. Technically.
The funny thing is, the invisible pointing fingers we fear are all an illusion. And the illusion is our undoing.
All I want to say is I wish I had been allowed the choice.

4 Comments:
That just tugged at my heartstrings. As you so rightly said marraige has been so simplified in India, ditilled down to what society and community dictates that the norms are..matching horoscopes, caste, social/monetary status and family history.
But I do have a question/s and I hope you do not consider it to be impertinent.
Your are clearly smart, intelligent and an independent person, very capable of making your own decisions. Some of these will invariably upset others, but if they lead you to a path that makes you happy for the rest of your life or at least let you make your own choice, why would it be something that should scare you? Isn't part of the whole idea of being financially independent as a woman also supposed to give you a chance to explore your own dreams when it comes to choosing your mate and not merely a "match" while looking at prospective grooms?
Why would you choose to be empty and let love be glazed over?
And you are right those pointing fingers are an illusion.
What do you mean "you wish you were allowed the choice"?
Don't you make your own choice? Would it be that hard for folks to accept if you found someone of your own, someone who was your soulmate, friend and lover?
Why would you leave it all to faith and join the countless ranks of married women to later wonder ..what if?
Also would you even have a blog afterwards? I know I lost touch with a few good women friends after they got married, cos the husbands could not deal with the fact you know thie wives can still have just friends who were men!
I don't know if you want to respond, this is after all a public space. I am just curious.
We all have moments when we wish we had made a different choice, but at least if it is our own choice it is easy to live with rather than it being something fostered by others including tradition.
I also speak as someone who made his own choice when it came to looking for my mate, I was not going for one of those arranged things for all the reasons that you mentioned.
It's also possible I am not completely aware of your situtation which will have it's own unique set of cicrumstances. So if I sound stupid apologies are in order.
And in reply to your Q at my blog. I live in wilmington, delaware and it is about 150 miles from NYC about 2 hours by train or 3 by car.
Aranyi: That was some outpouring from you!! Yes, I agree, marriage has become a checklist for many Indians. But, I think that if the checklist is well made, there is nothing wrong with it. The problem is when people mis-represent themselves (or lie) in the checklist that things go wrong. I have heard horror stories from friends who had arranged marriages only to find out later that their spouses suffered from some mental imbalances.
You seem to be idealizing romance and love. Trust me, after being married 8 plus years, romance and love continue, but in a different way, and are supplanted by caring, affection and concern for each other.
Regarding the volcano within, it all depends upon the spouse you are with. But from experience, the bedrock of a long-term happy relationship is caring, affection and concern for each other. Sensuality and love will follow if the above ingredients exist.
From what you write, it seems your family is rather traditional, and would like to see you married off to someone "familiar" - rich, handsome, and all the items in the checklist.
But what baffles me is your impotence when it comes to your choices. From your writing, it seems like you are a free-spirited liberated soul with a flair for doing many things. Then how come you seem to get bogged down so much by the mores thrust upon you by family and society, especially, in an area like marriage where finding a partner would NEVER tantamount to using a standard Jain checklist. Revolt, girl!! Walk tall, answer back, and if you have, elope. Your parents will understand if they truly know you!!!
CO says what I said in a indirect way. You do seem to be a free sipirt in so many ways as we gather from your writing here. So why not be free to choose who should be your soulmate?
Thanks so much for the concern guys. But like I said in the last line, the choice is not mine to make. Long story. And dont worry, I will marry someone who is as 'just right' as I can find, and it will all work out for the best.
Post a Comment
<< Home