One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Monday, May 08, 2006

Movie Review: Gangster



Wow what a movie! Honestly, I didn't know what to expect, but went on the behest of my aunt, and, further because Jaggu and Tarana were talking about it on radio last week.

I had seen the trailers and been particularly intrigued by the fact that the lead actress was a petite girl with long unkempt frizzy hair, in a world of stylised waves and blowdried-straightness. Besides, staggering about in sweaters drinking straight from the bottle, sitting silently at the back of a truck, and screaming. From the trailers I assumed that she was a spy and Shiney Ahuja was a straightforward cop who catches her and that Imraan was the debonair gangster.

I'm not going to tell you if I was right or not, but one thing I knew, she would be a good actress. What expressive eyes and lips! What a soft soft face. And she's so thin and only 19 and has such maturity! Ok her accent is very contemporary but still. I DID NOT see it for Emraan, who is nowhere near my type of hot man. Of course, he stays true to his 'serial kisser' image. Shiney Ahuja... my GOD! He did a good job in Hazaaron Khwahishein Aisi, but hai la! what strong stoic silent acting! What declarations of love flow from his eyes that rival even those of Shah Rukh Khan, maybe even beat him! I guess its all the more striking because of his role. Emraan is timepass only. Family influence, snazzy sunglasses, nonstop dumb chimp expression. Maybe marriage will make him a better actor.

It's a story of love and betrayal, of deceit and unintended trouble. Of revenge. Of truth, happiness, faith, sorrow, longing, loyalty, of death. Of the subjectivity of human values. Of men. Of women. Of stereotypes. Of loss.

What music. for once it was great to hear sings with a superb beat that dont have Himesh Reshammiya's voice attached to it. I cant decide which song to use as my calller tune!!! the angst-ridden rock Bheegi Bheegi, the intense Ya Ali, the soft Tu hi meri Shab hai, Shubha Mudgal's mournful voice at the end.

I cried a lot after the interval. I dont know about you, but I judge movies by how much emotion they can arouse in me. I find myself grating my teeth and clenching my jaw when something unjust happens, I find myself in tears over loss and grief, unless they are soooo bady done with cheesy-ass epic dialogues. Hence it gets many stars from me.

Conclusion: I havent given any spoilers, because I want you to watch it. The story is simple, but maybe I was too dumb to see the twist. Watch it for the acting. For the music. For the tears that will flow from your eyes if you are an empathic person.

5 Comments:

Blogger karmic said...

Where is the Korea angle in the movie? Just curious. :)
Also who told you guys don't cry in movies? :)
I may not cry during the one you described, but I have had Gandhi, Philadelphia and Schindler's list move me to tears.

9:00 am  
Blogger Sabu said...

You have a spoiler here..though a low intensity spoiler..

"..the way the helpless women are used by the police to get to the men they love...."

It would be better if you remove this..I was just going to fiorward this link for my friend who was doubting whether to watch this or not..I watched this movie and I agree with you..beautiful movie..must watch..

9:54 am  
Blogger Makhtub said...

Hey ARU!!

Finally back to reading ur blogs, though just time for some now lol

Yes the movie is BRILLIANT! It made me CRY too, certain scenes GOsh, how brilliantly executed, I liked the scene between Shiney and the kangana at the JAIL (OOps is this a SPOILER?)

Everyone was kickass in it, except the Serial Kisser, I really think he is just at just lip synching or lip smooching hehe!! That new girl is terrific! I love her hair and although she can do good with her voice modulation it has really been long since Iv appreciated a female performance, espc one that has made me cry and think and hate and love all at the same time lol

The music is so bloody brilliant, that I am think I need to get into rehab to get over it! Just cannot seem to choose, which is better! The story was predictable for me though somehow but well I think the screenplay and performances was something that just held on forever! There was another confrontation scene between the hero and heroine where she is more aggressive than him although she should be the one to back off and it was done so brilliantly! shiney iv always loved but this was one gangster I wish I could fall in love with LOL...Sort of romanticised the entire falling in love with a gangster

Inspite of exams I seen the movie thrice (Yea i am miserable lol) but that is not going to stop me from going this week again:)

PS:JAV -The Korea connection is simple that a certain someone is on the run away from cops so shifts base to KOREA (Ok now is this a spoiler alert again?) Sorry abt it then...

9:56 am  
Blogger Makhtub said...

Ok I just woke up from my much needed sleep so there will be a dozen typos sorry :)

9:57 am  
Blogger GuNs said...

Hey there...
I saw the movie last week after weeks of trying to get SOMEONE to go alongwith me. I've been hearing postive stuff about it since it released.

Though it wasnt as good as what I expected from all the praises, it definitely is a good movie. Shiney Ahuja is excellent, I agree except in a few scenes where he has to cry. There was a bunch of girls behind my back who burst into giggles at one such scene.

All in all, value for money and a welcome change from run of the mill romantic crap and musht triangles.

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

5:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter