One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Monday, May 15, 2006

Just Being and other News

This is my 209th post I think. Wow! Posts have flown! Anyway.

Yesterday I did something Ive never really done before - snuck out of work an hour early, at about 4 for a pseudo-secret rendezvous at Worli seaface. I did all these random things I missed out on in college - bought Energee, sat by the sea on blazing hot concrete, with my sandals off, squinted into the horizon for answers to life, giggled, played I-spy with all the ridiculous and fascinating rubbish strewn among the rocks - Kurkure packets, sandals, shoes, thermocol, a gang (whats the collective noun? pack?) of adventurous young dogs, hunted for used condoms but couldnt find any, bought nariyal pani (coconut water) and giggled off my date's attempts at bargaining, (the vendor totally thought we were tourists and I was like "Aap hindi main bata kijiye bhaisahab hum samajh sakte hain!), and just had fun! He offered me his malai (wow, that has a weird connotation to it!), and I think I must have just let loose and eaten that fatty stuff after years! It was a pretty crispy coconut though, not mushy like I remember it... we probably got cheated but oh well. We flirted and we laughed and it was amazing to just let go of my silly inhibitions and fears. It helped that it had a slight forbidden tinge to it (probably self-imposed though, because I tend to be such a stickler for rules and routine and discipline).

I cleansed my soul a little bit yesterday. Did a timepass sample tarot reading online (it was free, so I could only pick 3 cards instead of the full 12), and all my cards came out reversed, which meant that I wasnt using my energies and powers well, and that I needed to make a decision soon and had to be careful not to behave with dishonour, and that I was afraid and restrained and needd to trust my instincts. This shit is ON man! Pooh pooh it or call it coincidence or whatever, but it was just what I needed to hear, and helped me gain the courage to start doing the right thing. Now all that I need is for the right thing and the make-me-happy thing to be the same thing.

Ive started attending an Art of Living Course. I'm not sure what I'm going to get out of it, but the teacher asks us questions about our life and makes us write out our answers. Its good because it helped me think about what I really wanted, helped me be honest with myself too. Just having the courage to come to terms with your true needs or desires, however base they may be, creates a path to let you respect and accept yourself, and is the first step towards achieving your aims. Now my homework for today is to think about what makes me happy and when I will be happy. We just did some breathing exercises. I'm not sure Ive actually got the methods down, but I had GREAT sleep last night.

My best friend Ruchi, of the sudden January wedding fame, left for Australia on Friday. I still dont know what to think. When she was supposed to leave 2 weeks earlier, we had gone over to her place, where she was in the process of clearing out her room. She suddenly turned to me and said "Here, I have something for you", and she gave me a a couple of books she had borrowed years ago from me, and so considerately wrapped in newspaper to prevent the covers from getting dog-eared. My editions of Fanny Hill, Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure, of The Romantics, of some other book also. I had comepletely forgotten about them. I felt something tug at my insides... the fact that my best friend could even think of returning something like this, so paltry, that she probably wouldnt even have noticed or remembered them had she not been cleaning out and packing up her room! For me, the situation in which she gave them back to me seemed to imply that she didn't have room for these in her life - OK I know they're not even the most memorable books, and she had TONNES of luggage, but now she was packing up and moving on. She was moving ahead into a world that may not necessarily include books, and our precious memories so deeply intertwined with them - our first exposure to sex through that Judith Krantz novel Till we Meet Again, to romance and candles and moonlight and the temptation of the forbidden, to Shakespeare and society and womanhood and its thrills and travails. To literature, to learning, to good grammar, to the power of the imagination and of the pen goddammit! To delicious, sensual, pleasure-inducing WORDS! All to be exchanged for perfectly rounded rotis and subtle hints to the hubby. For the kingmaking/breaking power of the words NOT spoken.
The inevitability of our collective fate struck me then I guess.

More surprises were in store as the get-together turned into a walk down memory lane. She opened a carton she called her magic box - and out spilled postcards and cards we had all written to her individually and collectively... on Friendship Day, on her birthday, even a postcard I had written to her in French from Florida from March 2001 - I was so excited to realise that I could still read it, except for a phrase Ive forgotten - talking alll about the hot guys and what we'd been up to! I'd send her one from every place Id go to, in fact her and my other two school friends as well, because i LOVE receiving them as well! There was one Friendship Day card I had made her in SYJC, handmade with felt-tip pens on an artsheet, writing in pink ink (OH GOD!!!), waxing away like a pretentious valleygirl who thought she was India's literary star-on-the-horizon - I was amazed at my complacent, snooty, pretentious over-confidence, and thoroughly ashamed that I could write something like that! I had the sauciness and self-assuredness that comes out of complete and utter naivete at 17, in an academic environment far removed from the teen dramas we devoured. In fact, I could imagine Hejin writing stuff like the kind I wrote, though I must declare that I love her writing and she reminds me of who I once was, in a GOOD way! Before time and experience hurt and humbled me that is.

Yes indeed ladies,

The days go by
as you realise,
If the glove fits, wear it,
Soon you'll watch the birds fly
High in the night sky,
And know Home is where the heart is.

Decidedly I am still relatively naive and have much to learn. Those hard knocks have made me a cynic and my romantic streak refuses to buckle down without a fight to the finish, which a large part of even the cynic sincerely hopes wont happen. So I vacillate wildly between the two as I learn and thus remain yours,
consistently,
Princess Joya.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SALI KYA LEEKHTI HEY?

these words spilled out of my mouth
spontaneously soOn i finished reading it.
maap karna.
'you are the stuff bestseller-writers are made of'.
keep it up.

5:44 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Ummm... thank you, I think?!

6:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what do you think?
why hiccup.
swallowing the budding words
in not aranyi's cup of tea.

sach hey na?

6:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Anon, what's up with the maap karna and sach hey na? Mein hoon na?

We are all aspiring (English) writers on this blog, so let's keep it pure and literal please!!

Aranyi, that was quite a blog that took us on a surreal journey down memoey lane. What's up with the Art of Living stuff?

8:32 am  
Blogger karmic said...

I never got this thing that people have for typing Hindi using English. Too much pain to read :)

Hope the art of living is not one of those touchy feely Deepak Chopraesque new age thingies.

I guess whatever works..

9:30 am  
Blogger hopefuldisposition said...

I just read your post on Gita...Reminds me of the Gandhism class I took in my undergrad a few years ago....just because we had to take some such philosophical (shit, as I thought then) courses as a part of our regular curriculum at Sophia's (Bombay)...
Acc. to Gandhism...you do not own a thing in this world...you only use it...and it is your responsibility to keep it in a good condition if not better when you leave...so that others too can benefit from that...I have to tell you, when you look at life like that...it just cuts all your angst by atleast 40-50%! Anyway, that was a good philosophical read...will never think it is "Shit" again...wow...I have come so far away from that immature thinking...

10:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopeful made a good point: "...you do not own a thing in this world ... you only use it...and it is your responsibility to keep it in a good condition if not better when you leave...so that others too can benefit from that..."

This is congruous to Japanese thinking as well, and their concern for the environment. Man is devouring the environment with his possessiveness and greed for more. US Capitalism is to blame of course, and we Indians are worshipping that in all our B-schools and all that.

Wanna save the world and environment- shut down the B schools, and institutions like the World Bank, and UN. The world will be a far better place.

Sorry for the divagation!! Yeah, Aranyi wassup with the Artof Living. I thought the advice rendered in your blog comments would save you a trip to these new-age remedies... chuckles!!

5:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Anon, I don't believe you said this: SALI KYA LEEKHTI HEY? This is such a backward comment!!!! My gosh, I think you are on the wrong blog, friend... Disturbing, backward, crude, insouciant.....shocking!!!

5:17 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Umm, Maybe sali kya likhti hai was meant in a good way? But that needed an exclamation mark not a question mark! hehe.
CO and Jay,
Ive only done 2 days of the course: last night's session was a bit insane... was EXHAUSTED, for more reasons than one! Will blog about it.
Hopeful, very true and thank you for that, its so easy to forget what we owe the universe, and to be attached!

1:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CO , it is for you.
this space is for comments on original post not for comments on comments. seems you have forgotton the original and are after the 'anonymous'.you seem to be too 'dull-polished' a person to ignore and appreciate the 'spirit' of the comment.you need to be taught a lesson or two about the spirit of instinctive linguistic
outburst.it is purely my prerogative to write in any language that suits me.i address to the original writer not you tom ,dick harry.
so please keep your refinement and forward thinking to yourself.
hope you got the point .
is it notunethical,'crude',backward,,disturbing etc to eavesdrop and make unwarrented comments when two unknown persons are talking.you lack etiquette. very bad,very bad Co or whatever you are.

1:39 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES, YES IT NEEDED AND I MEANT
AN EXCLAMATION MARK ONLY.please take it as a typographical error.
THANX FOR APPRECIATING THE PROPER SPIRIT
OF THE HINDI-ONE-LINER.
YOU ARE THOROUGHLY AWARE OF THE NUANCES OF THE LANGUAGE.
THANX AGAIN ARANYI.

1:49 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Be nice boys! No flame wars for no reason.
Anonymous, you kinda have a point about the language, but at the same time, I can see CO's consternation at the Hindi of the first line, because even I was taken aback initially! And this wasnt even a controversial post. So this has just been miscommunication, as most of life is!

2:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aranyi, i know further explanation
shall mar the positive spirit of the comment.
please appreciate the compliment together with the lines that follow.
neither the post nor the comment was 'controversial'.people have made it so.
[(apart from the issue at hand.) 'Sali' is such a romantic word.
many relish its linguistic and auditory aroma.the Salis and Jijas of India shall confirm.(thinking aloud)]

3:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Anon, I do not wish to reply to your posts. Their quality and character do not deserve a response. So adieu, if you don't understand that, go look it up in a lexicon ... I mean, dictionary.

"SAALA KYA SAMAJTA HAI"

8:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the hollowman,
finally you showed
your real character which can be summed up like this,

''an intellectual lilliput and a moral lepor''

a suggestion-:for god's sake do whatevever you want to do like opening a paan shop,tea shop,be a railway cooli,or a a pimp,
but donot try to be an 'aspiring writer' and torture the readers,
with all 'rubbish' you are capable of writing.please do this favor to the readers.
as far as i am concerned,
mein to apneko bahut kuch samajtahun, BEHENCHOD [ IN CAPITAL]
this is just the tip of the iceberg
of abuses for you bastard.9/10 is hidden under the water.
achha hoga to sudhar ja, nahin to
phir bahut bolunga...

'ASPIRING WRITER'joke of the millenium.
i pity you.

[ i am sorry Aranyi.do not you feel this fellow deserves this treatment.]

1:35 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

OK PEOPLE, STOP. what was meant to be dialogue eliminating misunderstanding over a completely innocuous statement has become meaningless political propaganda of the political party goon variety. Take it outside. Any comments from either of you targetting the other on this topic will be deleted on this post and any others. There was absolutely NO NEED for the last comment anonymous. You both had your tit-for-that-now-I'm-quits comments with the previous two.

2:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was he who started the mud-slinging.I ONLY REPLIED.

.I RESPECT YOUR COMMANDMENT.

3:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon, you truly disgust me with that abusive language. I had forgotten those words even exist, but maybe that's an integral part of your retarded lingo. Anyway, I choose never to talk to you. SO PLEASE DO NOT REPLY....

8:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter