
Oh God, it has been 5 days and still my brain hasn't sprouted anything creative or original to say about
Pyare Mohan. But what can my brain come up with when the film itself is so uncreative, unoriginal, and uninspiring?
I expected a stupid movie, and we went in precisely for that reason, to be able to laugh, but I was still very disappointed with Milap Zaveri's script. He had so much promise in Masti, and now his smart-alecky lines came across as merely cliched and DUMB. If only people paid as much attention to the script as they do to outfits (not that those are good either), and in particular in this case, Esha Deol's stuck-in-place windswept hairstyle and tanned perfect makeup.
So Pyare and Mohan, (see, Ive even forgotten who is who) are two guys (played by Fardeen Khan., who seems to be enjoying marriage from the slight double chin, and Viveik Oberoi, who is back to being single and boyish with his singular hairstyle) who happen to be occupationally handicapped: one is deaf and the other, blind. They are maha chaapla guys who have a small Archie's greeting cards and assorted knickknacks shop and pray for each other to find love etc etc. Predictably they stumble across Priya and Preeti (I think), Amrita Rao and Esha Deol prancing about in miniscule sexy jogging clothes showing off their soft and taut athletic figures respectively. Pyare and Mohan promptly fall in love, misreading the girls' grateful affection for helping them through some tight spots.
Now suddenly, don Tony Fernandes, played by a harrowed-looking ruddy Boman Irani with an ANNOYING thothla accent, reappears after supposedly dying in the first part, and is after the girls who are off to Thailand because they witness him confessing his existence. What timepass! So basically they are stranded and jailed in Bangkok by a wacko Thai inspector and our heroes land up there and hatch sidey schemes to escape with them. The don sends his moron fatso younger brother and various (kinda hot) Thai goons to catch them, oh god what timepass. (oops repeated it in the same paragraph but REALLY!) of COURSE, it being a hindi movie, all's well that ends well.
More than the movie, I was impressed with Roxy cinema at Grant Road, Opera House. Ok, parking is a bit of a problem, but it's manageable, and the food is a little more classic desi movie ishtyle. They have the corn rubbish, competing as they are with the other multiplexes, but they also have nice medium sized packets of potato wafers, in lime and spicy, tomato, and plain flavours, tomato discs and teekha sali wafers, a range of nice icecreams, and popcorn and sandwiches. And the nice part is, that while we were sitting on our seats during the interval (trying our hardest to not succumb to the temptation of eating during movies, despite the said movie being watched after a heavy lunch), an employee came iwth a tray of canteen food, vending it to the public at their seats! That's such a good idea! Many people are too lazy or bored to go to the canteen during the short intermissions, and can buy them right there. (I also loved and miss Intermission at Metro).
Anyway.
Conclusion: Watch Masti or Hungama anyday. Though apparently Pyare Mohan is better than Shaadi se Pehle.
5 Comments:
I have to admit pal I just skim over the Hindi movie reviews most of the times. But I decided to read this one.
I have to say I enjoyed your review.
But you have to pardon my ignorance of some of the desi jargon, maybe you can enlighten ignoramus moi?
What is "maha chaapla"? I know maha though.
Also does the deaf guy explain to the blind guy how the woman he likes looks or does he fall in love with her voice?
What's a thotla accent and corn rubbish?
A couple of years ago while visiting Bombay we took our niece to go see Nemo. During the break we went to get her some snacks, I was amazed by the variety they had out there.
In contrast the multiplexes here serve mostly popcorn, nachos and probably hot dogs at horribly inflated prices. Oh ya there is candy too. I know people who will sneak in with their own food.
And sort of offtopic, we were in Pune last November and we were in a relatives car with our two nieces (5 and 9). They had a moment when they wanted to listen to this song "Dhadak Dhadak"?. It happened to play on Radio Mirchi and they just went nuts singing and dancing in the car! It was chho sweet. It is one of my most enduring memories of them, the joyous looks that only children have. The 5 yr old had just lost her dad a month ago, but she is too little to understand death.
We have often wished we could just adopt and bring her over with us. (I know it sounds silly she has her mom and grandparents..but it's our protective instincts I guess).
Sorry to go offtopic but the review just sort of sent me in directions I did not anticipate.
Enjoy the weekend.
Darn that was a long comment. Just noticed it after I hit the publish button.
Hey Karmic: Keep it up for posting that enormous comment. Aranyi must be glad that she has a loyal fan in you, and me too, for that matter :)
However, movies like Mohan Pyare with retards like Fardeen Khan and Easha Deol in them, do serve a great purpose for light sleepers like me - they provide the perfect sleeping pill. I had written off Hollywood ages ago, but Bollywood is no better. Formula and more formula, and the story goes on and on .... I miss the good ole days of Sanjeev Kumar and Waheda Rehman. Esha Deol - eeeew!!! Her mom Hema Malini was much better.
Jay,
OK as to the desi lingo:
chaapla is a Gujarati word used to describe someone as goody-two-shoes who displays how nice he is and pretends to be modest about it. Fakely sweet basically. Not really translatable into English.
Thothla is someone with a lisp. in this case boman Irani pronounced his R's as L's. Supremely annoying.
The corn rubbish is corn niblets eaten in a bowl. mixed with either/or/and butter, lime juice, salt and pepper. Whatever happened to good old lal mirchi?!?! Americanised idiots!!! He basically slams into her and they both lose balance and he prevents her from falling, and she is all sweetly apologetic about how she didnt look where she was going when she relaises he's blind. Then of course Viveik describes Esha to him as "Hema Malini eyes, Madhuri Dixit smile".
Yeah man Indian movie food is MUCH better! I hate eating in American cinemas. I hate american popcorn, both the movie and the microwave kind. Unsalted, fresh-popped at home is the best. British ones in Big Indian towns are much better, with samosas and bhel and stuff.
Dhadak dhadak is an amazing song!!! Id love to dance to it! Great music that film had! Your nieces are sweet! So many little kids I know are so hung up on seeming cool these days its unfortunate! I feel sad for people who are so busy pursuing an image that they forget to LIVE!
Aww, thanks CO!
Aranyi, Thank you for the explanation.
CO.. Ye I guess we are fans of this place.
Post a Comment
<< Home