One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Wandering Weekly:Of Cherries and Related Matters

Here we are writing about Cherries for this week's Wandering Weekly. We shall quickly post my poem before getting onto other fascinating things. You know the rules - google the word of the week and write a poem using the first tne words under the link that hsow up in your search as the first word to each of the lines in your poem. And since I seem to be liking couplets, here goes:

‘Cherry on top’ is a common plea
We’ll make it happen if you pay good money
History calls us the oldest profession
Many a loss though we make per session
The fat repulsive politician who will thrust more than dance
An amorous gay boy taking a straight stance
Cherry they ask when dentata they fear
Nightclub merely a ground for this game held so dear
Forum is our souls screaming for a break
www.davidcherryart.com is as false as the promise you don’t make.

Fruits have interesting connotations to them. Earlier this week Jaggu and Tarana were talking on Go 92.FM about how while it is quite normal to see men buying bananas and oranges and eating them on the street, one doesn't ever see women doing so in public. Well, the banana has evident sexual blowjob/Lorena Bobbit connotations, and oranges, I suppose are too messy. Even in the West, very few girls in college bit bananas off the way I did; they would break it with their hands and pop the bits into their mouths. That grosses me out, what if the banana is ripe? Yukk. But I actually have a story about cherries.

One evening mom came to pick me up from work to go for an evening movie. I had askd her to bring me fruit as it was teatime and I was starving, and plus I was on a diet. Mom got me lovely big juicy maroon cherries. Now there's a way I eat cherries. I hold them by the stem, or by the shoulders if there isn't one, pop them into my mouth and bite the bottom half off. THEN only do I bite off the top half and spit out the seed. Kinda like this...

This, according to me, is the normal way to eat cherries. I was contentedly eating my cherries, feeling the satiny texture of its skin against my teeth and lips before biting, when I randomly turned and noticed this yucky guy in a cab, staring at me eating my cherry, mouth agape!!! Evidently it must have seen sexual to him, it can't simply have been my devastating good looks because they're not ravishing enough to have people rendered speechless (usually rather stupid words are being emanated from their oral orifice). I dont know, but embarassed, I stopped eating and hastily shut my box. And of course, looked away.

So Ive always wondered why cherries are considered sexual... why they grace dance mix covers, why losing one's virginity is called 'popping the cherry', etc etc? And last year I came across the answer... vaguely anyway.


Here is a cherry. Next time you buy cherries, particularly the Black Beauty kind from California, or the average very ripe ones, look at them closely. The "Eureka!" cherry I encountered was a fecund shade of crimson and maroon, with a slight furrow down the middle like a butt, and a tiny slit, much like the vagina lips and the labia. It was then that I noticed how much like the female genitalia it was look, and it's pretty damn exciting to discover. I Think i squeezed into it or bit it, and a thick crimson juice spilled out. Not anywhere near a paste, but rich and runny and fast coloured like blood. Just a stunning realisation.

Speaking of the sexual connotations of cherries, the UK google lists Cherrygirls, an escort agency as one of the words in the Wandering Weekly search, and not to be rude, but doesnt this escort girl look exactly like Sheetal Mafatlal (from newspaper pics anyway)? (Except that Carla's stomach is way smaller).

So Sheetal looks Spanish huh? Exotic.

And Gurudas Kamat - Congress MP, Bombay N.E. looks like a Koala Bear. Really!

BTW, that's a compliment. He looks sweet.

15 Comments:

Blogger hopefuldisposition said...

Pervs can find anything sexual...I can tell you that...
I often crack jokes that are so dirty and realise that a little more thought and I could crack a dirty joke about something as irrelevant as sand paper...Its all in the mind :)
Although, to give you another perspective on why some fruits might have a sexual reference....going back in time, Greeks considered fruits to be aphrodisiacs...so there you go...that might have spilt over to other cultures...

12:50 pm  
Blogger karmic said...

Re: Bananas, I have say it works differently out here
I see women who eat a banana in public all the time including *A* although for her most of the time
it is sliced in to her bowl of cheerios in the morning. I have seen them eating it just by peeling it.
Actually I did see Penny on the morning train eating her banana today.
Well I did not actually see her eat it just noticed her throw the peel in the trash bin.
I suspect she cut and ate it with a spoon as she had a spoon in her hand when we excahnged
our morning hellos.

As for the way of eating cherries, that is the way to eat them and as for it looking
sexual or sensual it probably was cos thats how some people may have seen in it movies
or on teevee?
Also maybe it is cultural? I feel the whole sex under the wraps thingy in India does sort of
give normal things like eating a cherry a sexual overtone? Maybe it depends on who is eating the cherry?
Me eating a cherry that way will have no sexual overtones trust me.. ;-)
As for the Sheetal M looking Spanish thing, a lot of desis can be mistaken for being Spanish or
Hispanic. I have had people talk to me in Spanish assuming I was Spanish/Hispanic.

I reread your poem its says so many things in so few words.

I have no poem composing skills so this is sad first attempt
and may be you might just stop me from trying to do this again? ;)
I put the words i found in the search in bold since in the comments long lines just wrap around

While I sat kind of absentmindedly next to her
Sweet sigh fell upon my ears
Cherries? she asked me as she lifted one to her sensual lips..
Are you kidding I asked I would never pass a chance to have one from those lips..
Pure bliss I whispered after our lips had brushed and I bit into the cherry
P.avium? they should have just called you a cherry i thought
The name does no justice to such a sensual fruit
Term(s) biologists come up with.. dry..unflavored
Sour and dour I wish they translated their passion for their work to the name
Cherry? she said again.. snapping me out my reverie..

2:13 pm  
Blogger hopefuldisposition said...

Nice...both of you!

2:21 pm  
Blogger hopefuldisposition said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:32 pm  
Blogger hopefuldisposition said...

Cherries or blue berries, there are endless possibilities
Are you looking for a meal, or are you looking for love?
Members of this club hold no responsibilities
Of loving or of wearing a glove...(if you know what I mean)
The y come here in hunger of a kind
Rosa(ceae), but was truly blind
Family and love, she dreamt of with one
Sub(family Prunoideae) stance abuse, HIV and she was left all alone
They took what she had to give and returned none
Occupy ing her heart and leaving her undone!

3:43 pm  
Blogger hopefuldisposition said...

I got tempted too...will blame it on this slow day...and some endless possibilities :)that caused this to happen :)

3:44 pm  
Blogger karmic said...

HD.. sweet :)

4:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There we again, Aranyi. Another story about someone leching at you, albeit this time around, when you were eating cherries. What's up with these sex-starved Indian male pervs?
Jeez, as far as banana eating goes, I never thought of it in that context, until you described it. Anyway, having grown up in India, I found it hard to imagine Indian women engaging in fellatio. So the question of women eating bananas in public never seemed so much of an issue. Maybe, the global porn empire has found its way into the Indian living room, and women are getting more adventurous and capable. Sex is seen more of as fun rather than just a means of procreation among desi females. I say, good for them.

11:10 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Hopeful and Jay,
wow!!! Im so thrilled! And yu got some really funny words hahaha but did great things with them! How come you ot different search words when you are both in the US?
As for the fruit thing... The ancient Greeks and Romans had the whole Dionysian revelry grape eating thing going.
As for the Sheetal thing, the first thught that crossed my mind was "whoa!! This is where the page 3 types get all that money from!" (and it is true in some cases).

Jinal,
what was that in referene to?

CO,
do you mean to say that in the thousands of years of our civilization the average non-courtesan woman has never given her husband a blowjob? I do know people who get grossed out by it, but if you're gonna spend 50 years of your life with someone, wouldn't you get bored of the same old missionary?

11:31 pm  
Blogger hopefuldisposition said...

I think I got the same link as Karmic, but I opened it up and took the first line from that...so mine looks different from his...and Thanks!
Yeah, Jinal, what was that all about??

11:59 pm  
Blogger karmic said...

Anyway, having grown up in India, I found it hard to imagine Indian women engaging in fellatio. So the question of women eating bananas in public never seemed so much of an issue.

CO... I guess I knew different kind of women than you. I think you overstate. I have more faith in Indian women and women in general about what they can do. They are eminently sensual and intelligent beings.

4:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aranyi: To your point about women in India engaging in fellatio, I would tend to think it is a rather new concept- last 40 yrs maybe, and before that it must have been in the department of courtesans. Indian women, in general, did tend to get caught up in religious puritanical pursuits that perhaps even shunned away from orgasms, leave alone fellatio. Men looked upon their wives as a means of procreation, a housekeeper, and someone who he could use to vent his frustrations (often violently). Female lib, women's rights, the female orgasm are maybe a post Indira-Gandhi phenomenon, if I may. Yes, there were a handful of strong outspoken women during the Freedom struggle.

Karmic- you said: I have more faith in Indian women and women in general about what they can do. They are eminently sensual and intelligent beings.

Your point is rather vague, and nothing in my point said something about women not being sensual or intelligent. I just emphasized that women of yore had to put up with a lot more crap, and in some ways, had an arrested development of their sensuality. Society suppressed it, and compare this to now. I think women have it a lot better. I think all the women on this blog would concur.

10:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the initial comments on the blog. Lots of mutual praise, and patting backs. C'mon peeps - lets keep it real, and keep the debates flowin'.

11:09 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Arre CO! Let people be nice to each other if they want to! It can actually be meant you know!!!
If Vatsyayana wrote the Kamasutra all those thousands of years back, there must be something going on in the sexual lives or ordinary people that we dont know about. Maybe the sex lives of the women in the post-Vedic period was sooo good that they endured the other bullshit their husbands put them through? I think repeated invasions over the centuries possibly led to more puritanicalness in moral and communcal behaviour. Just an unsupported hypothesis. I cant believe that sexuality and its assorted manifestations are not instinctive. Yeah, fellatio, cunnilingus etc seem gross when you know nothing about arousal or sensuality, but when you've experienced your body's reaction to stimulation, how can everything else not naturally follow? (with a person who encourages that in you). For all you know, men might have strongly discouraged any sexual demonstrations in their women out of territorialism (though I can hardly believe that a guy would wanna give up a good BJ for that) Maybe guys just demanded and didnt give, and women, not enjoying sex, lost interest in it altogether and pursued bhakti instead. That seems more plausible. To me anyway.

11:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think sheetal is hot

2:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter