One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Movie Review: Capote

WARNING: SPOILERS


So I saw Capote on Sunday. I had no idea what it was about, but on comparing the backs for History of Violence vs Capote, thought that Capote might appeal to me and my friend Natasha, since we both like to write, and Truman Capote was a writer (wrote Breakfast at Tiffany's, among others). Besides, we were in the mood for something epic and inspiring, witha bit of philophy thrown in. History of Violence had to do with one man's past, while Capote had to do with how the protagonist's life was changed forever because of his interactions with a couple of murderers senstenced to death. Now I shan't know till I watch History Of Violence as to whether I made the right choice for a lazy overstuffed Sunday afternoon or not.

Truman Capote is played by Dustin Seymour Hoffman, and he looks quite similar to the picture of the author given above, no? Oh he definitely deserved an Oscar for playing a most horrible creature convincingly. It was an unpleasant experience to watch this character unfold - annoying nasal voice, far worse than that of the counselor in South park, a fat, pretentious, snivelling, oily, dirty looking, pompous disagreeable perosnality there never was. Okay, maybe he did perform random acts for kindness, but they were all TOTALLY only for his own gain! It was annoying how his sycophantic listeners would pander to him and laugh at his self-important comments in comparison to their relative ignorance of his friend Nelle Harper Lee, who writes and publishes the magnificient To Kill a Mockingbird during the course of the film.

We never come to know why exactly he is fascinated by these murderers. These two young men killed a family of four in a village in Kansas, and were caught later. Maybe because one of them, Perry, seems educated and talented, not to mention vaguely good looking? They dont have any meaningful conversations as such. There is a vague twist in the plot which doesnt really amount to anything when each prisoner tells Capote not to trust the other. All he does is help them get a better lawyer, probably so he can prolong their lives and get the story out of them. Then he sensationalises their story, all the while pretending to be their friend. Of course he wont reveal these details to them, all the while allowing them to think that he is writing the book that will vindicate them.

I dont know, I havent read his book. Maybe the book served to be a window into human psychology, or merely satisfied voyeuristic fascination with the grotesque and the bestial,I dont know. Of course, he watches the execution, and maybe he is affected by it.

There are two poignant scenes that I remember - which seemed disgusting at the time, but improved upon subsequent knowledge of his story. One is when he goes on at his party like nothin has happened after receiving an urgent letter from one of the prisoners - sad how we need to keep upa ppearances all the time in society, and another when he lied to the man who was as good as dead.

The feel of the film is very dull and muted. There is a scene of colourful relief in Spain, but thats it. My big complaint is that we never get to understand exactly how and why Capote gets affected, and why he later is unable to finish any of his work and dies of alcoholism. But the hanging scene is jarring, so that is cool. Good acting definitely. If what was required of Hoffman was to be wooden a lot.
Here is a link to more info on Capote.

Conclusion: *Shrug*. If you're interested in reading 'between the lines' as the cover says, watch it I suppose. But he really is a pompous character and I'm impatient with such people, EVEN if they are great successes.

Sorry this was a bit hurried! I must run!

6 Comments:

Blogger karmic said...

I have seen Seymour Hoffman in several other smaller or indie movies and he is a great great actor.
PS: Do read the book if you can.

8:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aranyi:
I am not clear about your stance on the movie. Seymour Hoffman was simply brilliant. Yes, I agree with KJ, he is certainly a great actor. Bollywood needs to learn from some of these Hollywood actors, and I say "learn" and not imitate. Most desi stars choose the imitation route, and make a mockery of acting.

11:38 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Jay and CO,
He is a great actor is what im saying. Its just that thecharacter is so revolting. and he does a great job of portraying the 1 cm of humaneness that capote seemed to allow to slip out from his pretentious trappings.
There's precious little to act about in mainstream bollywood movies, and thiose are the ones that win awards. The Oscars choose semi-arty farty movies, not movies with REAL mass appeal.
I just exoected a lot more drama and profundity I suppose.

2:03 am  
Blogger karmic said...

The Oscars are not meant to choose movies with mass appeal. It's basically their peers from the movies that vote for what they think reflects excellence in their crafts.
Around the time of the Oscars we were seeing reports on CNN about how Hollywood seemed out of touch with the movies they were honoring (Gay themed - brokeback, capote has a gay protagonist). CNN was missing the point about what the Oscars are about.
I think mass appeal may be the people choice awards.. not sure about those though.

7:35 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aranyi:
While I like your prose, girl, I must say that our movie tastes divulge like an inverted parabola.

I see you blogging on some Bollywood stuff time and again.

I have grown distant from Bollywood and even, Hollywood for that matter. They have "formula" written all over them. Producers make formulaic movies because the probability of success is high. The hoi polloi always want the dishum dishum and dancing and prancing. But every now and then I am seeing some Indie directors coming up with some awesome movies on low budgets but plenty of skill, great story, and brilliant acting.

In the end, I would select originality, creativity, and reality over formula, and dishum.

12:36 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

who doesnt CO! but never claimed to be a knowledgeable critic! i cant bulllshit abt the various aspect of filmmaking- im a fairly average girl who has average tastes and who lieks a bit of glamour and emotion. im conservativbe in that way - love romances and adult-child interactions. and colour!!!

6:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter