One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Monday, March 20, 2006

55 Flash Fiction Friday: The Pop song 89/Stand/Orange Crush Edition


Now I havent really got the cutural reference... :S I imagine the pic is REM as the title has to do with REM songs. But now are they Irish? Because she refers to green....

Now I have decided to play safe and stick to some St. Patrick's Day element. I'll give some history later... but I know people just dress up in New York and all the bars are full and everyone's drunk and revelling. Its the day of clovers (you must have seen Google last week), leprechauns, gold, and other green things. So here's my take - partly inspired by a visual representation of a Georgian fairytale.

Compulsive Objectivist, Kush, Brad, Jay, interested in your takes on St. Paddy's...


Here's my 55, for what it's worth.

Beauty had traversed an endless sky on the wings of a pliant rainbow and landed on the grass at the leprechaun’s feet. The pot of gold heaved as the goosebumps on her arms sprouted into a profusion of fecund vegetation entwining over her limbs. The treasure burst out, covering the earth with a golden glow.

14 Comments:

Blogger karmic said...

You are right about the St.Patrick's day parade in NYC. It is the nations largest and oldest. More than 150000 people usually participate. Yes people wear green, drink green beer get drunk. But some of them also make a nusiance of themselves. It's not uncommmon in parts of NY to see people throwing up after having had too much to drink.
But the parade is fun too, and is no longer just a NYC thing. It's held at a lot of places and cities around the US. Non Irish folksalso wear green. Our workplace had a St. Paddy's day wear green thing and yours truly did wear green as well. Here is a link about some of the history behind the day.

8:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Aranyi,

I'll have to get drunk and pretend to speak in Irish accent to take a shot @ St. Paddy. Will try.

I am now Guy Fawkes.

1:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although St. Patrick's Day originated in New York City, its composition includes mostly of non New Yorkers, also called Bridge and Tunnel (B&T) crowd, who come to the City to get smashed and puke. I don't celebrate in public festivities because they don't give me any pleasure, but I would pick St. Patrick's day over Holi. You get to look at some hot chicks drinking up a storm, and doing some crazy things. But its amazing how the Irish chose this day to be their day of national pride!!! What's the sense in over-celebrating by getting piss drunk to wake up next day with a huge hangover and ruin most of your day? The logic beats me ......

5:24 pm  
Blogger karmic said...

CO.. I guess it takes all types to make this world interesting eh?

8:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guys,

Not to use Ms. Aranyi's space for history lessons. I thnk you guys are missing a very important connotation of St. Paddy's day: Irish immigration, relationship with the mother country, fighting racism in 18th century, politics with England through centuries, potato famine, and then good ole partying. At one point, it used to be "rallying cry" for attention to Ireland (before it became a celtic tiger), especially in US.

Even now, Jerry Adams from Sinn Fenn was @ White House for St. Paddy celebrations last week. At Boston bars, roadmap for Irish-US politics is laid down on St. Paddy's day.

Now, it in a way, celebrates immigration.

An excellent site:
http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/stpatricksday/?page=home

I am a big fan of holi too. Too bad that it has been hijacked that all people do not fell safe anyomore.

We all are Irish (It sure beats being British). Irish know how to drink, no doubt.

9:25 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Thank you guys! By your takes, I meant maybe a 55-word story! But thank you for the history and vacarious tour! I get scared of being around drunk people unless I'm inebriated myself!
Thanks for the history Kush!

10:36 pm  
Blogger karmic said...

Kush, Thanks for your addition. I am well aware of the history of Irish immigration, the potato famine and all, but I did not want my comment about St.Patricks to be as long as a post and left it out.

7:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A parade coming up in August is the India Day Parade in Manhattan. This is another huge farce that takes place on Fifth Avenue, and creates so many traffic jams. My whole point is that if most Indians reside in Queens and New Jersey, why not have it in those places? Why have a parade to celebrate India's Independence Day smack on Fifth Avenue, where most of the people participating are people of "Indian" origin holding US passports, and in a City that has a lower density of Indians than neighbouring suburbs? Take the circus somewhere else people. Same applies for the Puerto Rican Day parade and others.

7:53 am  
Blogger karmic said...

LOL @ CO. It's ok man let them be. It's also about the whole first amendment thingy and pride and all. Not to mention it's NY, the whole cachet of having a parade on 5th avenue is obvious. I mean come on who will go to a parade in NJ? There are enough desis in the NJ/NY/CT area and that makes them something politicians want to reach out too for getting votes and all. What better chance then to get a bunch of Desis there. These parades et al are a part of life in NY esp Manhattan, having lived there for a cpl of years, I think they contriute to making that city one of the most interesting in the world.

8:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On a completely different note (sorry to ruin the thread of comments), I came across this link:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18552947%255E663,00.html

It says: HUMANS are responsible for the worst series of extinctions since the dinosaurs and must take unprecedented steps to reach a goal of slowing losses by 2010, a UN report said yesterday.

1:22 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

CO, the Indians may live in Queens and NJ, but much income is also generated around 47th and 5th! Have you forgotten our desi diamond merchants?!
So many people are always walking about everyday anyway, tehy may as well do it in an organised fashion! And by that token, you are also opposed to street fairs then!
I agree though, we humans suck.

11:07 pm  
Blogger Makhtub said...

Ok i never knew all that history...thanks guys

Hahaha aru do u think anyone will have as much patience as u to do the 55 here?? Espc the ones tht fight here to get ur attention..lol...just kidding

cheers...well written aru

9:02 am  
Blogger Anil P said...

Hahaha. Makhtub, when did anyone get attention without fighting for it? All those wars, and the warring.

Hell no,

For my two seconds of fame,
I'm anyday game,
Lemme fight
For what I think is my right
To get get some attention
And hope for its retention :)

Aw, just a thursday mood for the brood :(

Have a nice day folks . . . Long live the 55 :)

10:29 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Wow thanks Anil!!! That was SOMETHING at least! hehe.
Makhtub, the writing helps fills the days when I dont have any opinions to air!!!! Besides its as much fun if not more.

10:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter