Explanation for Prolonged Absence Last Week
This week has been fruitless in many ways – except for shopping which was wonderful because I found one perfect unusual outfit which was stunning and I felt like a colonial colour drawing in Vogue or something! Yay yay yay! Other than that, I went looking for half-saris in various shops in Bombay and they weren’t available anywhere, often I was thwarted by my own body or mind from skipping exercise even though I woke up and got ready at 5:30 am, resulting in my going back to a disturbed sleep. On Thursday I was forced to skip dance class for some errands, and on Friday I ran and went for class only to discover upon reaching and some waiting around that there wasn’t any. This waiting got me late for the 6pm aerobics class I could have gone for. But I went home nonetheless and changed and made the 7pm one, only to find out that the instructor was sick! So I went home sinusy and supergrumpy and decided to take steam, only to BURN MY FINGER because of my stupidity in heroicially trying to lift the lid off the vessel filled with boiling water. Anyway the evening only got better after that with a pleasant dinner with a friend at yummy vegetarian Mikas at Mahalaxmi where I had my beloved momos, Chinese stirfry, Mongolian rice and nutella crepe! Then I went out with some other friends and it was sooo much fun! I enjoyed clubbing after a long time, especially since my harassing experience at Insomnia last weekend where I was groped and stared at and sized up like a… oooh, not a piece of meat, not a prostitute, but like a slave! I was in tears in humiliation and desecration by the end of the night and woke up at noon out of serious depression. But of course girlfriends saved the day. I think company makes a big difference, the protectiveness of the guys you’re with etc etc.
Anyway, the reason Ive been unable to write, has been the depression that has consumed my senses like a weighty cloud of industrial smog, settling on my shoulders and chest and fingers, making me feel that if my heart were to stop beating, no one would ever know, and my mind so quaveringly numb that if anyone were to say something even vaguely affectionate or berating, Id dissolve into tears. And that’s what arranged marriage meetings do to me for some reason.
I just die of boredom in them now. Ive said things along a similar vein so many times that I just say different things not to fall asleep on myself. I know that defeats my purpose but still – I am mutable and hence not always what I am at that point. And I rashly, don’t care.
Forget choosing someone for a lifetime, I can never even decide if I want to meet the person a second time. Everyone Ive spoken to have told me that physical chemistry is really important in a first meeting, and Ive only ever felt that with one person, who was all WRONG for me anyway. So I’m not sure if I should even trust my judgment. Unless the guy was boring as all hell, and seemed to have as much personality as a sea cucumber, I usually opt for a second meeting, to see if I’ll like his looks better as I get to know and like his personality better. Give the benefit of the doubt cos you never know, you know.
Anyway thankfully this was relatively chill, mostly because of the guy. Being a girl sucks. Of course a girl can say no, but she’s supposed to do it sooner rather than later (at least that’s how it seems to me). A girl will only not be pressured if the guy stands up to his parents and says he won’t make a decision unless he wants to. Otherwise after every meetings come the inevitable questions “How did it go?” “What did you’ll talk about?” “When will you make a decision?” “What do we tell the mediator?” Only when the guy is ‘headstrong’ as parents like to put it, do girls get allowed to take as much time as they want.
Now after the initial meeting and exchange of opinions, I simply don’t see why the mediator should be involved. Once the guy and girl exchange numbers, why should the mediator poke her (usually) nose in and proffer wisdom and opinions? Anyway. Not that this one did.
The meeting went pleasantly. I got to fulfill my desire to go to Sea Lounge at the Taj for coffee!!! That’s apparently ‘the’ place for arranged marriage meetings and Ive been DYING to go! Oooh we got a table by the window it was soo dreamy!!! And they definitely have the best cold coffee there. Milky, creamy and sweet. Even better than home. Sigh.
Yes so that was quandary that was rapidly solved with a good dose of friends and fun. Thank god for decreased pressure. Have a good week!

7 Comments:
As a fan of your blog and someone who checks in ever so foten, I was sort of wondering about the lack of posts. Have a fun 8 days away from the every day of work and home. Ya I know it is work related but still its a nice change? :)
It's terrible that guys use the smoky dark confines of a club to grope. Jeezus are ppl so starved and sick? I guess they are.
As for the whole arranged marraige thing, my best wishes to you. Hope it works out. I don't get this arranged marraige thing at all. I hated to see my sis go thru the motions, it almost feels like a frigging meat marker where one is being evaluated.
Arranged marraiges probably work for some and have their benefits, but it was not for me. I was determined and did manage to find my own partner and soulmate after a cpl of false starts. So ya we did it the long way, after knowing each other as friends for a year and then dating for another before.
Here is wishing you good luck, dont get bogged down and keep the spirits up. :-)
I am alarmed that Aranyi is choosing the arranged marriage route. How un-Aranyi of you, girl!!! Or is it parental pressure? Go, romance an Italian hunk!!!
Hey, NYC is the best party place in the world. People leave you alone and you can just relax and enjoy- NO GROPING!!! I have checked out the Mumbai club scene, and its cheap, imitational, showy and way too boring and immature with 80s music blasting in the ears.
Thanks Jay,
i seem to have written a long comment taht hasnt shown up. grrr. here it is:
Thank you Jay! :D
I know, the only small solace I got that night is when I looked at one guy I was passing in anger/desperation and his expression read "WHOA" and he put his hands up so I could move past. I was so grateful for that little bit of courtesy that night!
As for the arranged marriage thing, its not that bad, it was a choice in part, though made out of necessity. But its fun to meet different sorts of people, its not really a process of elimination so much as finetuning one's own awareness of one's needs. And i'm in no hurry and figure ill automatically be ready when Mr. Right shows up. We'll see!
And Im hardly going to be away from work!!!
CO... kya karen... karna padta hai!!! had my romances. now looking for romance with stability!
How can I look into your eyes
And not see those dreams that're now 'lies',
Let me look at your feet
And see them shift with uncertain fears!
Hope was never so far away,
But I'll wait the winds yet
. . . Maybe they'll blow some my way.
? yes anil? very pretty poem...
Hmmm. Often, 'Arranged' calls on people to shift their feet in uncertainity, searching for words to say to the one opposite, the 'right' words, then turning the face down to look at the feet, focussing on 'arranging them' while marking time, and hence hope.
ooooh... nice! works for some i guess. never experienced that because im rarely nervous and never calculative!
Post a Comment
<< Home