One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Sartorial Propriety

A silly, superficial-seeming post, but concerning a question that can make or break an impression in certain circles, (and whatever our opinion of those circles may be, sometimes it is necessary for one to be in as many individuals' godo graces as possible). To an asocial, though freindly and eager-to-please social imbecile like me, it has always been a matter of the greatest concern to me as to the clothing required/appropriate for social occassions, whatever they may be.

I remember planning for weeks in advance what I would wear for the lunch after our last exams three times a year in senior school (6th std onwards). Yes, so infrequent were my permitted outings with friends that actually involved spending money or being somewhere other than someone's house. Those were memorable times indeed, and for at least a year sleeveless knotted jackets were all the rage - i had them in assorted materials, crepe, chiffon, cotton and even denim. Birthday parties didn't quite fit into this category of anticipation though.

Most of my time with my friends, even now, is at casual joints or at home - people and events that don't require dressing up. I come from a family culture in which fine dining is considered to be an event, and hence requires excessive attention to self-presentation. For someone who dislikes makeup, but who is expected to know how to use it skillfully, but is excited by matching accessories (to the very shade), this becomes somewhat tension-inducing. Meeting my friends hence requires the pposite kind of stress, namely "What is the oldest, rattiest thing I can wear that I will be comfortable in, and still be fit to be seen beyond the confines of the... say... cellar?"

But now, the stress spreads over a variety of occasions, and I am only hoping that it will lessen with experience and practice. Especially, now, that I am being invited on my own behalf, to parties, weddings, events etc., and not as a tag-along with my parents. Being left to my own judgment as to what my contemporaries wear to dinner parties for instance, is somewhat mindboggling to me. For instance, I consider any type of jeans informal, or semi-casual, certainly not semi-formal, no matter how expensive they are. I would wear them clubbing, or on a second date, certainly not on a first, and certainly not if I am going to someone's house for a dinner party for the first time. Of course, that is a norm that has been loosened greatly lately.

While one can get away with contemporaries, what does one do at formal occasions at which one may be potentially observed by the elders, at which an impression may be more crucial, and hence social success, more satisfactory, and social loss, more disgraceful? Such as a wedding or a death? In such a case, does one dress according to the occasion, according to the people present, or according to one's own 'status', however one chooses to define it?

At a wedding for instance, would you wear something heavier than the bride/groom simply because you could, even if it wasn't the heaviest outfit you had? Would you be concerned about appearing overdressed or underdressed? Or about fitting in with the general audience? Or would you choose your dressing based on your relation to the bride/groom?

Similarly, at a death/funeral/wake, it is customary for Hindus to wear white. Would you wear cotton, or silk just because you could afford tom with tonnes of embroidery? And multi-carated solitaires, simply because that was part of your daily attire? Or would you remove all your jewelry? Or would you wear some jewelry, simply because a woman is supposed to wear jewelry? Would you choose the material/emroidery/jewellery depending on the relation of the person to you?

What I find cruel is that women who don't wear their mangalsutras the whole year round, suddenly don them when they are going to give condolences. If you don't value this symbol of your being married the rest of the time, then why go rub it in the face of the widower/widow, who is often subjected to almost inhuman ceremonies like having her wedding bangles broken against a stone and the sindoor in her parting brushed off?

I don't see why deaths should be made a parade of the material/worldly wealth one possesses. The blatantly obscene displays at weddings are bad enough.

Any opinions?

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to Hypocrisy Central - high-society Mumbai, where fakesness is as common as the batata wada on the road.

9:06 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is not only a problem on that side of the planet. You could change the city to Bogota for that matter and will be a similar story.

It seems to me that this more evident in cultures were a lot of attention is given to "what others think". At least on my culture this is the way it is, but here in Canada it seems that it is not.

10:44 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

C.O. and Luis,
Yeah this probbaly has to do with communitarian societies. But still, if so, don't yyou think there should be some specific rule, so that this confusion wouldn't be created?
C.O.- the problem with Mumbai (and most other pseudo-high-society) is that few people are truly original, and that this high society itself is a concept borrowed from the West, so that the 'watchers' are far more censorious. Call it mimicry, nothing else.

10:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In that sense, I so much prefer living my isolated lifestyle in NYC where I can have enough space for introspection, and do not need to put up with any social facade, and fakeness.

11:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, its mimicry performed with unerring repitition. I heard Delhi is much worse, where people judge you by what you wear and drive rather than who you are. As for me, I give 2 hoots for what people wear, and for what I wear. Clothes don't make a man (or woman).

If you make good conversation, have a good sense of humor, and know even the basics of world events, c'mon join my gang.

11:17 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

:) So can i???
Yeah, that's why I'd die before living in Delhi!
But I was once told that the reason women are loaded with jewelry and the men with fast cars is so that these people can convince bankers through their conspicious soncumption that thy can afford to pay back any loans they may take. So they can use their worldly goods as collateral. Makes sense no?

12:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Yeah, that's why I'd die before living in Delhi!"

Is that so?

1:53 am  
Blogger Makhtub said...

Well I think Delhi is an awesome place to live!

Or probably its just the projection that one can get carried away with! And no I am not talking about the gang rapes that happen every other day. Somehow there is this dreamy touch to the city with a dash of history!

And I think hypocrisy exists everywhere, here, delhi, canada, anywhere!! Basically its the mentality of the people and the need to blend in with society norms which happens everywhere! But i guess Iceland has to be an exception! No one bothers about single mothers there and its perfectly normal for women to ask men out!! Well here a woman did that u can only imagine~

So probably just the way society functions and the way u continue to adjust to it!! If u change and others do then the society and so called cultural norms do too

But who are we kidding, thats next to impossible atleast in this freaking place we live in, where one is more bothered about the others persons brilliance at pretending!

2:37 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Oops! *blush*
Honestly, I shouldn't have opined, I'm sorry. Ive been to the city barely once or twice. I like the space and the greenery, but not the smog. All the architecture and all that is truly magnificient, but I've just heard terrible stories about high society people there, and a few Punjabi stories from my friends. Just can't imagine it being my kind of scene, because I'm somewhat introverted, opinionated, and reserved. Though I have met some cool young Delhi-ites. Just not enough to refute my overall perception!

Adrasteia,
askin guys out in this country? i speak from personal experience, whatever they may say about being flattered and all, forget about it! They'll always be insecure about you later on, unless they're older.

2:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Aranyi, Wassup with the "oops, blush!" girl, and being defensive about your stance on Delhiwallas. If you opined they suck, then that's your opinion. No need to placate Ms. Adrak (oops, Adrestia). Let's call a spade a spade and leave it at that please. Best and peace.

7:54 am  
Blogger Makhtub said...

well CO,

I dont think she was trying to placate me there!!!

She knows better

9:17 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Yeah C.O. the 'oops' was for Kush. Kush is all about getting one's facts corrects. And he's a nice guy, so I don't want to offend him unnecessarily. And honestly, I have no facts, only enough hearsay to make me think I can have an opinion!
Heard about the MG 1& 2 mall fiascos... the biggest malls built in Delhi with all these designers and now they're demolishing them because they're 'illegal'? ****oles!

10:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter