One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Book Review: Chronicle of a Death Foretold

(From Wikipedia's entry on the book... wow seriously what an encyclopaedia!!!)

I'm really glad I finally discovered Gabriel Garcia Marquez! I have never encountered a writer whose various books I've been reading in such relatively rapid succession! And who has still not stopped fascinating me with his myriad lyrical thought-provoking observations on human tendencies, however rooted in his semi-imaginary world they may be!

So this review is about his little 140-odd page novella, Chronicle of a Death Foretold. I had no idea what it was about since the book jacket didn't have a plot summary. I just read it on Kush's behest. And man! Was I glad I did!

It's a rather makes-you-feel-like-you're-getting-dizzy-but-you-don't-feel-it-so-you-have-to-blink-to-make-sure kinda book about a young man who was killed in the aftermath of a grand wedding that the entire town was celebrating. The atmosphere of the entire book is worn out, yet infused with a sense of the wonder one encounters in dreams that have the aura of familiarity - the hush of the revelry only interrupted by the occasional stumbling and tuneless singing of thelast couople of drunks settles around you, such that in the peaceful silence the anticipation of a murder is like the activities in reverse, slowly increasing from increasing like a bubbling violent whirlpool into a tidal wave that sweeps away a village, leaving only some bloody entrailsss, some refugees, and the echoes of shouts and unforgettable visions that became the stuff of oral lore.

This, apparently, is the sensation magical realism creates, and I like it! After so much media coverage of news, soap operas and simulated 'reality TV' that is designed to blatantly shock and sensationalise life, it is refreshing for me, who often feel desensitized to much of what i hear and read, to be able to widen my eyes at a very strange, yet ordinary, yet strange, but yet ordinary (yes it warrants redundancy!) sequence of events that could not POSSIBLY have happened in real life! Or could it? Marquez makes us question the wisdom and sense of people and situations and yet leaves ample room for fate to say its piece.

Marquez's storytelling can quite safely be called circular in this work. Starting from the moment Nasar woke to the moment of his death, Marquez intersperses the plot with personal observations, memories, witness accounts and feelings, the past before the death to the future years after the death, the background, the intentions, the case study. I seriously recommend that you try to read this book in one sitting to fully appreciate the skill with which he crafted the chronicle, and chronology (not like me, who took over a week to read such a delicious rapid book - I didn't even NOTICE there were 5 chapters!), such that the air of langour and wonder at the whims and schemes destiny still pervades a story that essentially only took a few hours to come to its conclusion. The langour is due to his lyrical use of words and rather unique perspective on human beings - almost like he is stuck in his time warp between the centuries. John Fowles comments that "One could not find a more vivid caricature of that ledthal blend of machismo,braggadocio, and hypertrophic sense of honor that sullies South American society." Strong words, and more exagerrated than the book is, in my opinion.

His writing contains the poetry of a Latin India if you will, but adding glamour to the grime and antiquated values that modern Indian writing doesn't, - whether it is in Hindi or English. His is a semi-rural world just marginally touched by industrialisation, enough to communicate and trade, but not enough to change the moral mindset of the natives. Their mindset is only changed when something actually happens to them. The description of the scenery evokes the tropics that we inhabit as well, but the people are just... different, so much so that Publishers Weekly commented that "On finishing this short novel the reader will reemerge into a world less vivid and colourful than the story he's just left". The supernatural plays a more subtle, even gentle role in his work. In fact, the Los Angeles Times review is to me the most appropriate because it captures the cryticness and sharp-edged softness of the work: "The story is comical, horrifying and curiously tender... Garcia Marquez launches himself at the impassivity of the South American heartland with a jeweler's toolbox. Working with precision, he assembles the grotesque, the hilarious and the surreal into a mosiac freize carrying a message: silence, no change"

The New York Magazine review is the stupidest and unbearably pretentious: "Remarkable, graphic and grisly... about the impotent revenges of the impotent; about misdirected rage; about the heart blowing to bits from the burden of its own beat".

The only thing I'm slightly uncomfortable with, (and I'm really not trying to be politically correct of bourgeoise), is how Nasar could be described as so well-liked and an overall good guy and still be portrayed with such passivity in relation to his ambiguous behaviour, ranging from respectful to peremptory and ill-mannered in his relaionships with women. How can behaviour be separated in this manner? I realise there's a class issue at stake, but in a society that places so much emphasis on virginity (much like ours), there is still a blatant unconcern regarding a woman's chastity or feelings if a man is in a position to have his way, especially in terms of scio-economic power. I don't understand the incongruity between one's behaviour and expectations. I simply fail to grasp this concept of moral double standards (economic double standards is fine, if the man is the sole breadwinner then the woman should be able to manage the home, but if they're both working, that is something the couple must negotiate for itself). How can you expect a virgin wife when you yourself are not one? If you have bedded women, chances are 100% that other men as as unscrupulous as you and have bedded women too, and chances are that one of the bedded women will become your wife, unless all men bedded the same women, in which case they should never get married because of all the horrible STDs they will have contracted. The virgins are left with a tough choice - get sick and live or die untouched after a long and lonely life filled with embroidery. I can't condone the passivity with which he describes this ambivalent morality. It's alright when its a personal choice that benefits both parties concerned, as long as its willing and mutual, such as with Ariza in Love in the Time of Cholera, but not when one party is taken advantage of the other for whatever reason. And if every individual in society is willingly engaging in an activity that is considered immoral, even if they are doing so secretly, then it automatically becomes permissible. Because eventually someone's secret will leak and everyone will know and then no one has the right to be hypocritical anymore.

The above was a dangerous argument because one can apply it to fanatic right-wing societies and claim that it is thus permissible for men to behave in disguting oppressive ways in women as the Taliban did in Afghanistan and Khomeini in Iran and these neo-conservative freaks that seem to be popping up in unlikely places in India, beating up hapless couples and what-not. Like I said above, it's only okay if it is complied with willingly, with a consensus of all parties involved, and for benefit to all. This can potentially become a debate based on my sweeping statements that I would e delighted to engage in in little spurts but unfortunately I am short of time at the moment. Don't try to tell me that India will become immoral and we will lose our culture to the Godless westerners if we all decide to abandon our traditions. What traditions? Which traditions? Which ruling culture's traditions, that have mutated over centuries of cosmopolitanness are you referring to?

Sorry, this has gone way off track!

Here's a New York Times Book Review of the novella. Pretty much tells you the whole plot, but has a few decent, if obvious, points.

Oh, and my favourite sentence in the book: Upon a widower who died 2 months after being compelled to sell his conjugal home for a ridiculously extravagant amount of money "He was healthier than the rest of us, but whne you listened with the stethoscope you could hear the tears bubbling insidehis heart."

I say: Read read read yay!

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Aranyi,

I will comment on review once I have read your comments carefully. Perhaps, tomorrow. I gave this recommendation to you because I wanted some young Indian to read it and see what they thought.

I have some very strong opinion about this book. I read it decades ago - but I still remember, was it raining that day?

The jist of the book is "inevitability of fate". Are we just puppets? More than often Marquez says something is means something more - magic realism. More later.........

3:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry about the virginity issue - Marquez is using a deeply held cultural expectation as a back drop to tell something deeper.

You know the writer (the one who tells the story) is remembering the story 20-30 years later. Who is that guy? Why he is telling the story? Why in some parts he is very lucid, yet he does not, like whether it was raining that day.

More tomorrow.

3:44 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Kush,
Thank you for recommending it to me, seriously. I love the feeling i get form Marquez's book but I get scared because then i sometimes feel that my reality is not real... and i strat questioning what i see around me and myself. Marquez doesn't do it to me specifically, but I notice this quality in me more conspicuously when Im reading his work.
i realise the inevitability of fate - that irony strikes me better than it might do most given my life, though it is obvious in the book.
So far Marquez has used virginity and sex to talk about teh displacemnet of love to another subject, in a manner thats less painful and more convenient.
the narrator is the friend (maybe Marquez himself?) and the story is an amalgamation of reports and various individual memories. In a funnny way, no one would have remmebered whether it was raining that day whether he had died or not. some things never change, even though others do.

4:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you will-- another recommendation for you, The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera and Murakami's Norweigian Wood

11:43 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Thank you Jinal! I will, when i have time! Busy week! I have another book by Murakami that looks too big to tackle at the moment. Someone told me he's a pretentious fart?

11:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is quite well written.

I'll probably buy the book and read soon again.

When I read it years ago, two feelings lingered on: a) do we have control over anything? the brothers really did not want to kill SN at all but in a way fate forced them. b) i really felt sorry for SN. We never know......

I'll read the book again.

1:35 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Thank you Kush.
Maybe the brothers didn't want to kill them. I don't know if it was fate that made them as much as teh fact that they had themselves made it a matter of honour to avenge their sister, and that 1 - Pablo's fiancee supported his stand, and 2 - no one thought to stop them. The few people who acted tried to warn SN.
Anyone who grabs girls' crotches (when they don't want it) deserves to die :p It's just funny how Marquez never makes it clear who the deflowerer was... on one hadn you can imagine it being him because of the general culture, and the fact that he keeps calling her silly names to her brother - you know how it is - pretend to dislike someone or have no relations with someone you're secretly having a little rendezvous with? And the vague way in which she says his name... it's really quite fascinating.

3:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you love the Colombian author Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

I was born in Colombia and had the chance to read most of his books in spanish .... if you love the books in english just imagine how good they are in spanish.

9:04 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Dear Anonymous,
I knowww!!!! Have you read his work in English? What is your opinion of the translation? Spanish is a lot more picturesque and melodious than English I'm sure!
I only read one paragraph of Le Petit Prince by Antione de Saint-Exupery in French and I was HOOKED! The english translation didn't do anything for me. Though I must read it again and sit with a dictionary and figure out the french one. SO much is lost in translation! I wish I knew my own native languages a lot bettter too!

10:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I have but only to satisfy my curiosity.

The translation was good but most of the "real meaning" and the Gabriel Garcia Marquez way of using spanish was lost.

I guess this is true for all works of literature in all languajes.

Luis

7:27 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Has Marquez written anything directly in English?
You must suggest more authors for me please! I need to explore Pablo Neruda in greater detail also!

10:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gabo only writes in spanish !!!

Let me know what type of book would you like to read (romantic, adventure,..) and I will try give you a good selection of books from South American authors. Keep in mind that I am not a critic just a regular guy .... But in return you will have to do the same for me: an excellent book from an author from India ???

11:00 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

I like romance/history stuff. Maybe a good mystery, but not too much action-army stuff. What about you? I'll be happy to suggest. If you want to peruse my book reviews in the sidebar under 'Common Ebtry Categories" :D

12:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From your list of books I am going to read "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" by Salman Rushdie. Unless you have another suggestion ....It is probably not my type of book but it is definitly something different.

On the other hand, in your list I didn't see "100 Years of Solitude" from Gabo. That book is a must ..

8:18 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

That's next! I'm strolling through an anthology of stories on Mumbai at the moment.

10:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter