One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

First of all, I crossed 100 posts! Happy Century Joya!!! Or Platinum Jubilee or whatever!

Second of all, HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!


Gong Xi Fa Cai!!!!


A la Kenny Sia, hope it's all BIGGER and BETTER for you this year! Heh heh.

It's the year of the Dog (those born in 1982, 1970, 1958, 1946, 1934). That's me (except my element is water)! Last year was Year of the Rooster (those born in 1981 and so on, count 12 years backwards), and next year will be Year of the Boar/Pig. I hope good things happen for me and other dogs (most of my friends) this year. For the rest of you too!

Here's a pic of the Chinese 12-year cycle. If 2006 is the year of the Dog (middle left side), then next year and so on will be (going clockwise) the year of the pig/boar, rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster. So if you are born in a year in this order (go back 12 years till you reach yours), you know what animal you are.


Wanna send a non-Chinese person who loves Chinese (veg) food angpow/hong bao/lee sai?!
Heh heh.

Incidentally, did you know that there is a Chinese HR company that only wants dogs to apply for it because they are honest and loyal??? Cool no? Dogs also tend to whine a lot, like me sometimes *looks rueful*

For the sake of being secular, (and because I like to know and educate everyone else), I shall do some research and give you info on Chinese/Lunar New Year.

....

Since I have heard few personal anecdotes except those including a whole lot of eating, bursting firecrackers, meeting relatives and getting money, not to mention wearing lovely cheongsams, (usually red) like the one the girl in the pic above is wearing (hmmm... kinda sounds like Diwali), I did some poking around online and found some pretty comprehensive articles:


New Year in Japan
Chinese New Year
Lunar New Year (Tet) in Vietnam.

Cambodia and Thailand celebrate their New Year in April. Hmm.

Here's what the Vietnamese have to say about the Dog. Kinda true.

To go deeper, and find you element and all that, this is a pretty good Chinese website.

Happy Monday!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have an exercise for you on my blog.

11:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And whenever I 'woof' you, you never 'woof' me back!?

12:53 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

No, but I'd 'bite' you if I liked you! ;)
Thanks Kush!!!

11:14 pm  
Blogger Makhtub said...

Well next year is the year of the PIG isnt it? Cant wait for that!!

2:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, my eyes were shut, and somebody bit me...Was that you!! :P Congrats on reaching the Century mark! Kudos. Gong Xi!

2:16 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Yes baby next year is the year of the pig! Heh heh. That'll be the year i get FAT!
*ignoring brazen Brad*

10:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter