Comments on Advertisements
Who can forget the "Doodh doodh doodh doodh, wonderful doodh" ad from Operation Flood? circa 1996, when I was in school? And the Philips ads during Philips Top 10 on Zee TV? with that old lady going "Why did you turn it off? It was so nice". And that college guy pretending to serendade the girl on her balcony but his friend switching of the radio behind teh bush by mistake and he howls "FOOOOR eternity" (I have no idea who the song is by "You're mine... and we belong together, yes we belong together, for eternity", but it's immortalised for me now hehe!)
Evenstar likes the Asian Paints ad. I like the SBI insurance ads on radio as well on as on TV when the old man gifts his wife a diamond on Valentine's Day, when he barely knows what it is, except a day on which people give presents to the ones they love, and she says "How will I wear a diamond at this age?" and he rejoins "Silly! As if the diamond knows your age!" Soooo sweet!
Stylestation likes the Amul ads. Which Indian doesn't? Here is the link for your viewing pleasure. Their puns on taste and maska and words related to butter and current events are a signature of the fatalistic Indian attitude of taking things with a pinch of salt, cos really, shit happens.
Of course, "the stars will always shine the birds will always sing, wherever there is thirst there's always the real thing. ****-**** always the one, whenever there is fun there's always ****-**** yeah!" Toorooroorooroo tooroo to to toroorooroo! Get the brand?
Did you know Coca-Cola and OK are the most understood words in the world? Isn't that cool?
Can I tell you I HATE the googly woogly woosh contest by Ponds' Billboard at worli? That has to be the ugliest and most mismatched mother-child duo I have ever seen in my life. First of all, the chick has a westernised type of face, though she's wheatish, and she looks like a desi julia Roberts, and her face doesnt have that round soft look the faces of the women in the TC ad does (sorry to stereotype - I know manly-jawed women can have soft skin too!). But her lips are so shiny that it looks liek a chapstick ad more than anything else! And her smile is so fakely gentle it makes you gag! And the less said about the kid the better. He looks like a ventriloquist's dummy, and his mop of curly hair is incongruous. And that litle brown SUIT! Just brings out all the WRONG colours in his face, the shadows and yellowness. BAD IDEA.
Why does Abhishek Bachchan look so frickin girlish on the Ford Focus "Go Fida" Billboards? Or super verny? What's up with the coy smile and the blushy look from under fingers half covering his face? I woudl absolutely shrivel up and die if I were a model and a company wanted to choose pictures of me. I would reserve the right to choose the pictures myself.
OHHHHHH please do yourself a favour and go see the BMW ad on their website starring Madonna and some other famous actor guy (somehow they mostly look the same to me despite my years in America - oh, it's Clive Owens - who's he? - note - I'd still rather be told than look it up!), directed by Guy Ritchie. Read somewhere that Guy would never allow Madonna to act in his films again?! Hehehe.
Oh it's a 6 minute clip. Basically the concept of the Hire Film Series is to revolutionise video watching on the web by getting 8 famous directors to produce 8 short films to showcase their creativity, and the only thing they had to feature was a BMW showing off. Wowie! I have to watch the other 7!
Better say thank you! Spent hours working on this entry searching for the video and waiting for the damn thing to load!

6 Comments:
Good walk down the memory lane... and updates about the current ads in india!
Thanks... I wish I had the pictures or the clips though!
As sad as this may sound, I consider Indian ads to be memories of my childhood [and i didn't really watch a lot of tv ]
So the "doodh doodh doodh piyo glassful doodh" got me onto the memory lane [ and its still one of my fav indian ads :)]
p.s. your 55 rocked
Thanks Dee! I loved that ad because it wasn't limited to a particular age group, and it was so colourful and catchy, not to mention i LOVE milk! I will absolutely DIE of depression if I get lactose-intolerant kids!
p.s. I now know WHERE I heard "mannubhai motor chali"!
I thought it was some old hindi song all this time.
It IS an old Hindi song! But since I don't get to listen to old Hindi music very much, I heard that one first in the ad! I just love the onomatopeia in the pom pom pom!
Post a Comment
<< Home