Marriage Marketing
How NOT to Behave in an Arranged Marriage Situation:
1. Don't laugh loudly
2. Don't act too interested
3. Don't clap hands in delight
4. Always serve people, even though the servant is adept and won't let you do a thing, even if it means standing and looking useless.
5. Dont lean in towards the potential partner
6. Answer 'relevantly'
7. Don't be too frank
8. Don't wax philosophical
9. Don't be too confident
10. Don't display your tea party social skills - this is 'serious' work.
11. Don't speak too much
12. Don't come across as aggressive in any way.
Conversely:
1. Act coy
2. Ask only relevant questions
3. Speak softly
4. Display your good values
Now that I write this it all seems like delicious irony because the guy actually wants to meet me! Ironic because whoever thought social skills would be considered a fault in any situation? (The funny part is, I think I enjoy meeting guys because I always have fun with them; these are people I'd never meet as part of my regular circle, so I'm actually more animated than I normally am! - which totally ruins the point of the meeting, because I keep forgetting that boys are not to be looked at as friends. But how can I marry them if I can't have enjoyable chats with them?)
The point is, they always tell you to 'be yourself' as long as 'being yourself' involves conforming to the ridiculous standards set up by females in advertisements and Bollywood movies. What's the point of acting coy and crap when I'm actually confident and enjoying myself having a good, prolific conversation? I only look polite and coy and shit when I actually HAVE nothing to say to the people involved! It really is quite a complex ritual and one never knows where one stands. It's horrible - the suspense involved in wondering which party will call first and trying to interpret what the lack of a call means - whether the answer is 'no' or whether the other party is waiting for one to call.
Also, one thing that has allways confused me in an arranged marriage situation is: how do you know if someone is the 'one'? On one hand, everyone I know tells me that 'you just KNOW', and on the other hand people say (especially parents) that one can't get everything one wants in a person and one has to prioritise and compromise, whether on looks, money character, whatever. And then OTHER adults say, DON'T compromise. What to think? THEN people say 'looks aren't everything' and then they ALSO say, "if you don't like the way the person looks, don't meet him/her another time". I'm super confused :S
Even worse, and positively pitiful in this situation, is when one party likes the other a lot and knows that s/he wants to marry the other, while the feeling is not mutual? Then what? Doesn't it go to show that there isn't one right person for one? That marriage, arranged marriage particularly, is like a weird serendipitous strategy? 50% chance, like Baz Luhrmann says? I always want to cry at the pathos of it - that one gives up hope of ever finding someone on one's own and relies on intermediaries to do it, and then thinks one has found the person of one's dreams (or the one who matches closest), only to realise that one is not the person of the other's dreams. It's totally mental rape.
It's situations like this, and the frequency of divorces today, that sometimes makes me doubt the validity of marriage. I really do believe it's a sacred institution, but the noble values behind it - the merging of souls, the security, stability, happiness, the symbiosis that should emerge, just don't seem to be upheld anymore. And ironically, now more than ever, we aspiring, professional young people left afloat in a churning sea of technological change, need the anchor that a happy marriage can bring. Society and technology affect each other in turn, and progress is only giving rise to isolation. While the internet does open doors to the entire world for us in terms of relationship possibilities, it's also isolating us from real people in places that it's feasible for us to be in. And it's just making our expectations unrealistic in terms of life choices. When we're not willing to move to another part of our city to marry someone with a similar lifestyle and family values, are we really willing to give up everything we know for the person who comes across as perfect living halfway across the world? How feasible is that honestly? Without superhuman effort, is not such a marriage impossible to mantain? And can we not make the same amount of effort for a possibly less inspiring person closer to home? I know, I know, the person makes all the difference, but how does one KNOW? Every man is an island after all (Hi Deep!) And how many people have the guts to follow their heart? Or wait for the perfect man? The Charlotte Lucas sensibility does reside in many of my fellow women, including me sometimes - waiting and risking being a dreaded spinster is too big a chance to take, for after all what does one want in a man but security?
I contend - where is the security these days? My mother would respond - "It's up to a woman to hold a man" Yes, I volley back, but you should have that sort of chemistry - that indescribable something to make you WANT to hold him, or even 'nab' him in the first place (I'm using the colloquialism of the market here - liken it to hunting - getting a 'good catch' and all that!) To which she would say "You have to compromise" And hence we're back to square one.
(While the scientists may argue that love is merely a chemical reaction between two humans, a 2-year pheromonal dance to ensure the procreation and gestation of offspring, on which let's assume marriage is founded, we assume, or HOPE, that an emotional attachment will occur after the pheromones have faded that will ensure the longevity of the relationship). Let's face it, few of us want to be left behind. So basically we're left with a pretty brutal situation - between a rock and a hard place.
I for one, have left my life up to God (Fate seems too scary to handle - a great big mass of seemingly endless possibility that is unfortunately painfully limited to one's own choices!)
Conclusion: 1. Be yourself and 2. hope for the best! Alternatively, reevaluate yourself and your life options and repeat steps 1, and 2! (That may involve running away to another continent!)
************************************************************************************
Here is a link from Sepia Mutiny on the Eonomics of Indian Marriage! Shocking figures, na?!

10 Comments:
It's a catch 22. no way out unless you break the circle. Y'know, I totally understand your predicament, but I fail to understand how you can allow yourself to be subjected to it again and again. I guess that is something I will never understand unless I belonged to a similar social/familial structure.
I am, unable to put myself in the feet of such women who are led to doubt that they do not know what's best for them. No one does. Not our parents. Not even us, but thats life. you live and you figure it out.
I'm not against arranged marriages, they've worked just fine in my family. But what enrages me is the notion, the idea, of marrying a certain/kind of guy because he "fits" in- because he has already been "okayed" by numerous sets of individuals (who although have absoltuely nothing to do with your life, want to have a say in who you'll marry)
And the funny thing is-- once you declare you are "looking"- you have to make up your mind pretty soon or people start talking! So even if you see a 100 guys and like none of them, "people" think, "whats wrong with her!"
I could never ever survive in this society. This summer when I was in India, my dadi died. I insisted I accompany my dad, the other men and her to the graveyard. And I got the looks.
Tradition has it that women aren't allowed or don't go to the Hindu crematoriums. My Dad didn't bat his eyes when I said I'd go with him. (Thank god for my dad!) I went. and I'm glad I was with him when he put his mother to peace.
This wasn't related, I know. But it enrages me to see women so helpless and tied to a destiny they aren't even a part of -- please don't get me wrong here. You are wonderful and I know you are capable of handling yourself with the arranged meetings- but I wonder...
what if there's a woman out there who wants more? where does she go? what does she do?
aru,
Yeah I was going to say the same thing addressed by Jinal, how can you put yourself through such meetings all over everytime? Does it not come across as somethin really disgusting!! I mean, I know arranged marraiges work, they have been working for years in India(Or so it seems) but do you think that now its that feasible? I mean come to think of it, nowadays women are much more independent and self expressive with lesser inclinations towards being a sacrificing noble creature! And ultimately I doubt if arranged marraiges work,like everything else it is something of convenience...For a bunch of different individuals to decide, whether the guy fits into your life radar is ridiculous...Shouldnt you be judging that, by fallin in love, knowing that you are meant to be together, rather than leaving it on kundalis,stars and elders mathematically strategising it?
For one I am a lil shocked(and not being judgemental) that you would opt for an arranged way,simply coz you come across as a very confident and intelligent lass, one which in arranged way of thinking(and like u pointed out) is a no no!! I really thought ud wait for that one to sweep you off your feet, much like Gone with the Wind seq!! Of course though,nothing wrong if you are comfortable with it, don't read it the wrong way, just wondering arent u too young in a way....But aah thats just me,I feel everyone is too young to get married..But I do think one must marry coz they want to and not because they have to as others think that they must or its time to multiply the race
As my granny once told me,"I think you are at the peak time to give birth ur 22...Your child will be healthy,intelligent and you will have time and enerrgy to look after em"...I thought at that moment I was some sort of land, needed to be cultivated by a stranger who would be decided as the perfect farmer by my relatives...It makes me laugh and sad at the same time, what a world we live in,coz I dont hear her saying this to my brother anytime..
In a way I think people like jinal are luckier than us, if ur in another continent you really dont get subjected to this much,until u come on your month long vac, and that too goes away in relative darshan!!
But yea I am sure so many girls these days are trapped in this ritual once they cross the 21 hurdle...
It's ok. I have opted for one because I'm not meeting the type of guy I would like to be with socially. And it does depend on the family/community structure. And it's not like I'm forced to marry anyone... no one should be. Women are generally trained to like and marry a certain type of guy for the lifestyle - I've escaped that because of the books I've read and the education I've received. My parents reiterated last night, that something should happen in me when I see a guy, and that a girl like me should wait. So I will. Eventually I'll find the guy for me, or I'll decrease my standards as a natural process and find one. Simple as that. It's not as humiliating and difficult a process as we initially handle. God only gives us what we can handle - I firmly believe that. It's all for the best. I just need to sort out my head and goals first.
Oh ok, allright, sounds fair enough, yea to each his own...
And am sure u can handle anything thrown at u:) {Mean it in a nice way}
good luck with the groom hunting
PS:Are u by any chance a COBRA? As in the community...not anything else..lol
Yes. I guess you are right Karishma. It does help being away from India when it comes to this- but I'm also lucky in that my Dad is amazingly supportive. He wouldn't be shocked if I declared that I didn't intend to marry before 28 or 30-- my mom, on the other hand would threaten and do everything in her power to send me away to a "good gujju boy"!
Aranyi's situation is still fine because her parents are so understanding and she her her head on her shoulders. I have a close bori muslim friend and she is only 21!! and has to get engaged by the end of this year. I feel enraged at this but can't do much coz she thinks of it as her family duty and all that. I guess if she's happy, I shouldn't be worrying....
argh. Its such a mess!
@ jinal,
Yeah I know how u feel, same here my dad would be ok, but mom is slightly more pressed abt the time factor, and yes I have a friend who is 21 and hindu and is being forced to marry so that she can get a son earlier for the business empire:( Makes me sad,frustrated and mad, but then again what can be done....She seems to just accept her fate(or so as she calls it)
Aru's case, since her parents are so kool and since she can manage allright, I guess its fine,she can take care so no need to worry
but yea jinal ur lucky ur away,stay there only from 22-28 its a golden period to be away from the Indian society
I think you have to believe in yourself and stand firmly by your principles. It wasn't easy for my parents and me; it still isn't. I've had painful arguments with them. But they'll change with time. And so will I. It's a question about everyone and YOU accepting who you are. Everything else is an incidental annoyance.
Adrasteia, what's a COBRA?
Aru,
Please call me Karishma, I just rechristened my display name with a Latin name on the request of someone....Thats a long story!!
COBRA its a maharashtrian community, called Konkanasta Brahman,I guess u must have heard about them....
And yeah Karishma It still stands
cheers
hehee...Karishma!!! it's KHOBRA....not COBRA...:))
Chandani....dont get all worked about the guy scene...we all agree that men are the root cause of the most problems in our lives...no actually they are THE problem...so hold on...and like an exception to every rule I'm confident you'll find a great guy....I know it's a rare species...but believe me it exists...in the meanwhile since you're being subjected to this time and again...I suggest you take it as a learning experience ...in interaction with different people....you dont have to like them...but it doenst have to be personal...we cant like every person we meet....
Oh thanks angel!!
I kinda assumed its COBRA for reasons I dont want to mention here for the fear of getting Aranyi in trouble:)
Post a Comment
<< Home