The universality of women's experience
He poses two questions - Is Mumbai really as chilled out as we think? And is the experience of women universal? I'm going to try to link the two.
To respond to the first one: I remember being immensely proud of the fact that Mumbai is the safest city in India, where a girl can walk alone at 3am. All that has changed recently - with the 'culture police' stopping canoodling couples in their cars at malabar hill, cuffe parade and God knows where else at night, pretending to save them from potential cops but actually just trying to get money out of them. I havent read Shantaram so I don't know how the author describes Mumbai. It is crazy and unplanned and headache-inducing and exasperating but also uplifting. The one trait required here is patience, oh yes, and a sense of humour. The city is resilient, and will stay so despite its people, there will always be immigrant dreamers among the jaded residents. It's humour lies in its slapstick, the humour in the obvious, which drives one away from the farce that is daily living handled by bureaucracy and some unnameable greater force that keeps this city from falling apart out of its decrepit skeleton.
Then the police rapes came along. The first one at Marine Drive and another near the Domestic Airport. How are we as women supposed to trust any man now, even those who are paid by the nation for our protection? If relations between men and women are a function of the established power dynamic between men and women, the fulcrum is already on the cop's side as he, though he is believed to be a servant of the nation, has the power to help, to resolve problems, to be 'potent'. In that role, as a helper, he already has the leverage that ordinary working men who are normally intimidated by the greater accomplishments, looks and brains of women don't have. Why would he want to upset this ordained dynamic set up with so much care for generations? It's great though that these rapes were reported and action is being taken against the cops.
These were publicised cases - among the many that go unreported. So many girls are raped by their boyfriends, spouses, friends, strangers. So many are scared to admit it and seek help because it is a universal mindset to blame the girl, for whatever reason, on the basis of her clothes, her location, her behaviour, the time. A girl is not allowed to be flirty or sexy and be comfortable in her own skin around a man; oh no! She has to be restrained at all times. Even her 'no' s go ignored because guys don't really believe it. How do guys get away so easily with the "she was asking for it'' line. That itself shows how callous these men are. Men seem to be so afraid of women's sexuality that they need an excuse to be able to handle it, to demonstrate their physical power because that's the only thing they truly have over women anymore. And even women tend to blame the women. With this mindset in all of us, how can we blame the Taliban for simply acting upon a male territorial instinct? They are only making obvious the male thought process. How many men like their wives to dress sexily? No, that is reserved for the bedroom, for themselves, for a designated space in which they can assert their authority.
Even if the girl has the courage to report a rape, she is subjected to further trauma by the medical test and skeptical policemen. Not to mention a national cultural mindset as represented by Pervez Musharraf, Pakistan's Prime Minister with his dismissive comments on rape victims.
Yes, the men in general don't seem to have very much experience with or respect for women. Any girl/woman, no matter how conservatively dressed, if she is pretty or well-endowed, is subject to what may be uniquely-known in India as Eve-teasing. It may manifest in just a quick brush as one is walking past, to tasteless catcalls and jeers, to following girls around to rubbing oneself in public either through one's clothing or by taking the penis out. I'm pretty sure every girl has witnessed all of this in her life. No to mention the possibility of molestation or visual harassment at home by family members or domestic help on a young girl who doesn't know what it means, except that it feels wrong, and who is too scared to tell her mother. And what is the mother to do if the perpetrator happens to be the father or a respected male relative? How many mothers, especially the uneducated/cloistered housewives have the courage to upset their own status in the house for the protection of the hapless child? Who can she believe without offending anyone? How can she protect her child's innocence?
Brute force is being resorted to once again by men who are getting left behind in the race for power, money, education by women who don't take their newly-acquired status for granted. Rather than asserting their superiority through reasoning and knowledge, which is all a woman often wants and what men these days seem to lack, the violence they show towards the women in their lives only further demonstrates their subconsciously felt impotency, in my humble Freudian opinion, as demonstrated recently by Pratik Gupta stoning his girlfriend to death. They were both MBA students, they could have talked about it (but men and women in deteriorating relationships cannot talk rationally to each other, as I have experienced). He says he was 'relieved' she was dead, though he handed himself in. Of course his relatives said that he was such a level-headed boy; it must have been a heinous incident that made him lose his head like that - implying that it was partly the girl's fault. Jesus.
I wonder how Mr. ya Miss will be. Its a movie about a player reborn as a woman and how he has to deal with the stares, flirtation, high heels and issues of a woman. I hope it won't denigrate the status of women further like the recent movies No Entry and Garam Masala have done. Really, the representation of women is becoming too tasteless for words in Bollywood.
Are these things women go through universally? Yes. I've been hit on by men in New York as well. (I like New York better because people walk as fast as me, if not faster!). Women all over the world have to deal with the glass ceiling, with sterotype, with work environments structured on a patriarchal paradigm, with no allowance for maternal flexibility, with exoticism/fetishism based on race, class, enthnicity or physical appearance, with ignorance and disrespect, the ignorance of men on the difference between chivalry/chauvinism and courtesy, with the race to be thin, look better, work harder, manage better, be a perfect professional, perfect wife, perfect mother, perfect woman.

8 Comments:
I read a theory in my Psychology of Migration class once that it is those who don't have language, who cannot express themselves, who manifest their emotions physically. Therefore there tends to be more crime among immigrants.
Makes me all the more sad that I never took up Arts and opted for this high stressed,wasted degree in Commerce! Coz at the end of 3 years everyone ends up doing management now:(
But yea women being blamed for anything wrong and women expected to be perfect is something that I guess will go on forever!! Really appaling to read the comments of that Doshi's family and what was even worse that he was unrepentful!! I mean, one news channel broadcasted this, with a title that said, "Aakhir Ladki Ko Saza Mili Aur Kaise" and that just goes to show that the society just jumped to the conclusion that she deserved it or fueled it! I mean what if he was the jilted lover and what if he was hounding her(as so said by MM today), who knows that story except the girl and her close associates!!
But having said that seen lots of guys who are on the same end of the recieving spectrum and just generalised because of a few!
Cheers
You are welcome.
Do read Shantaram, once you are done with Marquez.
Talking of women and neutralizing violence. Please do read Amitav Ghosh's The Ghosts of Mrs Gandhi:
http://www.amitavghosh.com/essays_html_indv.php?essay_no=20
It is very powerful.
I really enjoyed reading your post. I'm Indian-American and I've only been to Mumbai a handful of times. Some of the things that stand out the most in my mind were exactly the things you pointed out, and I always felt like I could wear everything my cousins were wearing and still stand out like a sore thumb.
I always thought it was something about ME, like maybe the fact that I'm tall or American in the way I carry myself (y'know, look people in the eye, walk with your head up), but after reading this...well sometimes men just suck ass.
Anyway, it's cool to read about it from your perspective.
the link to my article is broken on your post as I had changed the title a little (to be more close to Clint Eastwood movie) bit few hours later:
http://www.kushtandon.squarespace.com/journal/2005/11/16/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-daily-life.html
Please do fix, when you get a chance. My mistake. Am bad. Anyhow, the chain reaction of posts was quite interesting. We should do sometimes in future again.
Karishma,
You're never too old to learn! I can recommend books - though sometimes they get long-drawn-out and boring and you have to snooze through pages to discover a glimmer of wisdom. And true, people never know the truth, because history is made by the winners, not those who are right.
Kush, changed the link. Thanks for the recommendation! I dare not buy any books now - but I will read it once I'm done with the pile of books I have right now. And yes, we should do a post-dialogue sort of thing again!
Square Peg,
I've been there, because I think I'm more American than Indian in my mannerisms myself. My mom constantly tells me to not walk as straight! One American girl in my class who had been to Bangalore commented that there didn't seem to be many women on the streets and we Indians were up in arms about it, but it's true. Men just seem more visible in the way they carry themselves, and womeen more self-effacing. Thank you for stopping by!
However, I also remember someone (was it patty?) telling me that Emergencies are most often imposed in countries at a time a woman is ruling! Cases in point, Mrs. Gandhi, someone from the philippines (name?), Margaret Thatcher. I wonder why.
ferdinand and imelda marcos from philipines. imelda was just a first lady.
women rulers tend to be tough. the best example is golda meir from israel. these women are not the norm, they all come from the ruling clan/ families or create clout over years like thatcher.
i quoted amitava ghosh's article in entirely different context. it was to support your assertion regarding women stopping violence.
Kush,
I pkan to blog on Ghosh's essay, but im gonn atke it ina completely different context. I saw the bit you selected - and i felt it also had to do with this male mentality that battle is only meant for men, that the youth walked away from that scene. It's also a female characteristic of course, especially as a mother, to sacrifice oneself for one's young or profess loyalty through death to loved ones (sati/jauhar). But regarding female rulers, I wonder if they feel obliged to be stronger/firmer than men because they feel they are not taken as seriously? Which is why professional women these days can also come across as more aggressive?
Post a Comment
<< Home