One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Monday, November 14, 2005

AIDS awareness for potential spouses

Oh my God, the stats I've seen regarding sexual activity in India has just been mindboggling. WAKE UP PEOPLE, ITS PREVALENT, ITS HAPPENING, YOU CANT STOP IT, BUT YOU CAN EDUCATE YOUR CHILD AND PEERS ABOUT IT SO THAT THEY CAN GUARD HIMSELF/HERSELF FROM DISEASES. (No one seems to be speaking of sex in relation to love or procreation anymore, its al about Disease and Abuse)

I was searching for an article I'd read last year, and while googling, came across the following disturbing facts and more:

"In India, current available data, limited as they are, indicate that youth will increasingly be at the centre of the epidemic both in terms of transmission and impact. Over 50 % of all new infections in India take place among young adults below 25 years.

A study of unmarried urban college students of low socio-economic status in Mumbai revealed that 26.4% of boys has engaged in premarital sex as had 3% of the girls.

In rural Maharashtra, a study done among married adolescents reported 48% of boys and 3% of girls as having premarital sex,

A recent survey by a marketing and research group in 15 Mumbai schools found that out of 430 students, at least 13% between the ages of 12 and 15 had sexual experiences. Of these, 75% had more that one partner.

In the study done in rural Maharashtra, it was found that one in every two women was infected with RTIs.

Most young people start experimenting with sex earlier than believed and without understanding concepts like safe sex, contraception and other health issues. Many of the adolescents knew something about AIDS but it was not useful information as they had no context to place it in. This has serious implications for reproductive health because lack of information can result in unintended pregnancies, STDs or HIV.

It is estimated that 60-90% of street children in Mumbai are sexually active. About 20 % of street boys in the 16-20 age group visit commercial sex workers regularly and 80% periodically. A study conducted in the slums in Chennai found that 80% of youth engaged in pre-marital sex; 85% of the same group reported never using condoms.

Life on the street for the girl child is twice as oppressive and exploitative than that of a boy. Girl children as young as nine and ten are forced into consuming drugs and then sexually abused.

Studies in 1993 estimates that 15% of secondary school girls have been sexually abused. The Social Welfare Board reports increased molestation, rape, sexual abuse of progressively younger children more within the family than outside.

Increasingly, adult males are targeting younger children for sex in the belief that they are free from HIV and STDs or that sex with a virgin will increase their virility or cure them of STIs.

For more stats and awareness relating to the issue, please go to the Indian NGOs' link I found, from which these stats are quoted.

I'm frankly stunned with the figures being much higher than I expected. And it's not merely about a sexual tryst that can be had and forgotten, it's about much greater implications relating to health and conspicuous social stigma. And no matter who initiates, it's the woman who gets the blame and has to bear the brunt of it.

I heard about a guy who contracted HIV (don't remember how, through a prostitute or drugs) and he KNEW about it, and didn't tell his parents out of fear (understandable). But he AGREED to an arranged marriage by them and didn't even tell his wife. It was only when she delivered an HIV + baby that they found out. Of course the guy didn't have the balls to say anything and everyone blamed the girl for infecting their precious son and she was kicked out.

SO many things like this happen. SO many guys lure girls through emotional blackmail or pretenses to love to sleep with them, and girls fall for it everytime because they've been conditioned to believe that they can derive their happiness from men and that men are the solution to all their problems. There is so much ignorance and misinformation about sex and STDs and it is made to seem so much like forbidden fruit due to the sheer lack of information and guilty awkward tightlippedness of adult role models, that children have to resort to spurious sources of information. In the Asian Age article I was looking for but couldn't find, UNICEF had been conducting an AIDS awareness survey among slum youth in 3 slums in Mumbai and while I don't remember the exact stats, I do recall that the majority of the boys' first sexual experience was homosexual in nature, they they were not considered real men if they didn't make their women cry out at least once in pain during intercourse, that a girl who reacted to their eve-teasing needed to be taught a lesson as she was not a 'good' girl and hence was subjected to greater harassment and eve assault. I was soooo angry and horrified. And there are such ignorant, selfish and cruel men even in our so-called middle and upper classes, who are only used to prostitutes and who believe sex is to be solely enjoyed by the male and that women are their to serve their every whim and fancy. I HOPE that outlook slowly changes, that all this sweemingly unwarranted attention given to sex and urban relational habits is not merely for shock value to sell rags but to broaden the Indian male's outlook. I really feel sorry for the advice Dr. Watsa has to give in the Mumbai Mirror: he often must remind his inquirers of the importance of love and consideration for their partners' feelings and their relationship when people reduce sex to the physical aspect alone!

Of course, while sex is the main medium for HIV transmission, drugs do come in a close second and we need to be aware of the dangers of sharing needles or not using sterile ones and all that. (I'm as ignorant as the next person because the information seems so intimidating).

I want to talk about the possibility of HIV testing as something required for couples in an arranged marriage situation. 11 years ago, when I was 12, I had told my parents that I wanted an HIV test done on the man I would marry and my dad laughed and said "Dream on. The day will never come". While I don't know of anyone who hasactually done this, there thankfully has been a debate initiated, and it's been addressed in the papers though the results still lean towards a negative.

Would I still want my potential partner to do an HIV test? Yes I would, and I'd do one too and we'd swap. Of course it would be completely confidential and both our results would come out negative and I would spend a long happy healthy life with the man that I would eventually fall in love with. Perfect.

If it didn't? Well, is there a guarantee that the results wouldn't be broadcast all over the country after the injury of a strident rejection by the in-law family to be? Who isn't afraid of rejection?

People tend to be insulted even being asked for such a test, as if the opposite party is implying that their child is immoral. It's not a question of morality (except in the case of prostitutes, please). Everyone's young once, everyone's had fun that one's parents dont know about. And mistakes happen. But why should a virtual stranger suffer for it unless it's his/her choice? These parents basking in their false pride are stupid, they themselves are dangering the life of their own heirs, since one reason for getting their children married is the continuation of the family line. This is simply myopia.

Get over it people. This affects your own children. They cannot undo their mistakes maybe but you can help them from making further stupid ones.

Get educated, get aware.

4 Comments:

Blogger Makhtub said...

Hi Aranyi,

How many Indians, do u think will agree for an HIV test? They'd rather check the horoscope and the stars alignment than the blood thingie coz as you said children have fun that their parents need not necessarily know about! As a matter of fact they dont! Come to think of it does such a thing happen in the west? I mean do people there have an HIV test mutually before they say "I do" Considering there the society is quite open to the active sexuality of people!!! Here I do remember my cousin asking for one, only to be told by the family members that it is not required since the boy's character is impeccable(of course this was an arranged marraige),their proof plain simple relatives who know the family! I'm assuming your even saying this in case a person goes through a love marraige? But tell me do u really think those that are in love would ask each other to get a test done? Could not it be seen as a breach of the trust, considering that the so called person would not be a total stranger and that if he ought to have been in your life and tha the loves u, he would have told u about his sexual past?

Now considering that he did have such experiences, would u then actually tell him to take it! Coz face it we all know how love makes people!! So i am assuming this would hold much stronger and practical for an arranged marraige and thinking that we live in India, where every parent thinks that the son is a Ram and the girl is a Sita, do u think they would waste their time on such a test! Besides, it will be an ordeal of sorts, I remember going to Breach Candy for a bloodtest and there was this woman who was getting an HIV test done, how did I know everyone kept staring at her and somehow the word spread around!! My aunt is in the pathological dept and she goes, that woman wants an HIV test done, nowadays kids u just dont know whatthey do behind ur back!! For me it was quite sick coz she need not necessarily have had done anything, so I think it is quite a wary experience..


Of course I remember my parents, telling my sister and me to get that test done when we get married mutually, but now that my sister has fallen in love with someone, I truly wonder if she is ever going to do it which she was so pro for before marriage-as she says HE IS JUST TOO NICE AND HONEST!!! So there it goes, wouldnt u say the same of the man u eventually fall in love with????? Asking him wouldnt it seem like a no faith situation....and arranged marraige, scenario I doubt any woman who asks for such a test will not be branded as an oversmart cookie and the proposal may just turn cold!!!

But as of now I think I absolutely agree with U....We should get it done but will we is the ultimate QS? And BTW, ur name has a wonderful meaning and sound to it, Id probably use it inthe future:)

cheers,
karishma

7:26 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Dear Karishma,
You're absolutely right. The marriage market is among the most vicious of all, because it not only affected money, but reputation and emotions. I was once vociferous about it, but now that I may actually have to get down to it, I'd definitely be hesistant because I wouldn't know how to go about it tactfully (and I'm definitely ashamed of this hesitancy). So i would wait and see if I liked the person, and then be frank with them. It's not something one asks on the first shot along with the horoscope and biodata - health issues are another thing that's hidden in the bride bazaar. Trust me, relatives know NOTHING about people's character. Anyone can behave well at a 3 hour dinner party!

Whether it's a love or arranged marriage is irrespective - everyone has a past unless you caught them in senior school - and even that is looking dicey as kids are maturing faster and girls are getting their periods at the age of 8!

Asking something as sensitive as this can rankle one's pride, but any sensible person will keep his/her priorities in order and realise that this is only for the good of the relationship and mature handling of the situation will onl increase mutual respect and trust.

The stigma has to also go among healthcare providers. There was NO NEED for anyone to know about that woman's blood test in Breach Candy Hospital. Bechari was probably taking precautions. Its a question of one's own personal strength and KNOWING that what one is doing is right. Dogs will bark. That's all our society does.

Aranyi isn't my real name! Still debating whether to use it or not!

10:45 pm  
Blogger Makhtub said...

IT isnt????????

Oh well allright...then let me guess what ur real name is? Considering that I have a crystal ball...

Shweta(being so fair) or
Pinky(You must have been a very cute kid) or
Indira(coz of all the personality) or
Sarojini(coz u write so well)

or
Ummmm
plain and simple

CHANDINI????????

Haha, well I guess I must have got one of those right!!

And yeah, like u said we shall know when we take the plunge, thanks for ur response to my comments, though I am not too sure u clarified on the South Indian statement

anyways cheers

Karishma
PS:That is my real name, and i guess u read its origin...:)

12:59 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Hahaha! You did! Except for the spelling!

1:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter