One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Friday, November 18, 2005

Friday's 55 Fiction

Here is the new theme by Anna, on New York. On what New York or the idea (as opposed to the city) of New York means to you. For me, New York is New York; I have distinctive and contradictory memories of it - it represented another place, another idealogy, another me. It remains in my blood in traces, that prick at the oddest times.

New York is much more than a city, and 55 words cannot begin to do it justice; for me, it can be encompassed in two words representing the inherent duality of man's struggle against nature in his quest for civilization since the beginning of time: "everything" and "nothing". There is the irony of feeling incredibly lonely in an apartment high up in an incredibly crowded city, there is the exhilaration of walking purposefully in a crowd of commuters who go to earn money doing something they're not exactly sure of, and relishing that feeling of being an island in a vast archipelago, there is the strolling through the spirited exuberance and superficiality and pretentious naturalness of Soho, the uninhibited glee of finding that cafe selling the perfect felafel, the stiffening fear of getting raped walking down a street at 3am, the ease with which one's body navigates Manhattan once the motor nerves have internalised due north on this gridlocked island, the unseeing denial of the glitter that is times square, the crowded forced intimacy of the Indian restaurants, there is humanity against the technology that threatens to overpower and topple our fragile self esteem.

New York really does represent, for me, the farce that is human civilization, so many different traditions, woven badly into a patchwork quilt, incorporating reams of grey thread - it's sea of stories being polluted by uniformity, conformity, determined egos, it's skyscrapers extending into the ether proclaiming a foolhardy bravado. (I also strongly associate New York with The Fountainhead, as the chloroform that slowly suffocates the idealism that daily enters it, and that gives rise to phantasmagoric dreams. Yeah, that's probably where a lot of my views come from! I'm comfortable in it because I'm familiar with it, but it's not MY ideal city).

Many associate the spirit of New York with jazz. I associate it with the silence in my head willing away the traffic around me.

Here goes my 55 FINALLY:

New York is the final frontier of the unceasing battle between man’s aspirations and his disillusionment.
The ravages of civilization are apparent in the cracks on the walls, the faultlines barely concealed by makeup.
God rolls in his grave, and the stars twinkle in the gravel of the sidewalk, under the opaque manmade night sky.

12 Comments:

Blogger Erosopher said...

That was stunning.

2:46 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Thank you! Was hoping the God bit would't insult anyone - would only be a concern if this was famous! But it really seems true... and yet my post doesn't begin to encompass the hope and decay that is New York (the concept, not the city)

10:55 pm  
Blogger Makhtub said...

Well aru,(aranyi gets too long to type..Im lazy)

Wonderful write in just 55
But hmmm the God part, can raise a few eyebrows, it did mine...for just a few seconds though...lol

cheers

1:46 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Think about it - God, as a power, as an ideal - can never be dead because He is composed of faith and the cosmos just as we are (I believe anyway). He only dies in our hearts, because we, as humans choose to believe and follow or not. God as an ideal has died in modernisation and science a smanifested in our cities, but he turns up a as a ritual memory during festivals. When I wrote God rolls in his grave - He is conscious of doing so, hence He isn't dead, we believe him so. Am I explaining it well? I know it seems ironic because I'm praying more than Ive ever prayed now.
And the bit about the stars - if you walk down Manhattan at night - the sidewalks twinkle softly. Its too calming and wonderment-causing for words.

9:07 am  
Blogger Makhtub said...

aru,
What do I say, I am at a loss of words and trust me that is not an easy thing to happen....

On that note,
Muting off

Ps:Where is your blog for today?

11:36 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Oh God don't ask yaar... took a day off to do some shopping and got a headache at the end of it. Have so much to write about but once the thread is lost, it's lost forever. Won't have time today either... sorry :(

10:27 pm  
Blogger Makhtub said...

Gmrng aru,

Aah man sad thingie then:(

And what was the shopping about? Your birthday, fanfare I assume!!

Man am I good at assuming what you are doing or praying for...Tatastu

i got a horrible flu and though its nearing its end, my taste buds have yet to blossom out!!

Anyways,have a good day

cheers

PS:Is that why u like the movie Masoom...lol

10:53 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

dont get what you mean abt Masoom... I like it for its rawness, emotion and honesty. Also i love shabana azmi and naseeruddin shah. liked the movie better than the book!
No hsopping was for upcoming wedding season, not bday!

1:10 am  
Blogger Makhtub said...

Aru,
I was meaning that did u like masoom coz it has been directed by shekhar kapur? True the movie is much better than the book,simply coz the characters are more down to earth, the book was a flop for me, and yea i love azmi and shah too, the movie I liked was coz it somehow is just exactly like my own, the characters were all the same!! Wedding,hmmmm hope it isnt urs!!And I think I missed out on this assumption...BTW when is ur bday??

ps:why is ur blog comment being made into a chat session by me, I am extremely sorry:(

8:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful!

10:57 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

birthday is on sunday - 27th... hence the verbal goofs!! i havent seen any other shekhar kapur movies dunno why i had that dream! no problem chat away! otherwise email me! wedding... mine??? no no long way to go! i seem to scare guys away... read an enry on that!

12:03 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy 5/5 Fiction Day. I'm celebrating on my blog called Word Daze. I like your idea of describing a city in 55 words. I teach high school English, so I have an appreciation for your use of figurative language.
Brian B.

6:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter