'The act or process of remembering.
The state of being remembered: holds him in fond rememberance.
Something serving to celebrate or honor the memory of a person or event; a memorial.
The length of time over which one's memory extends.
Something remembered; a reminiscence.
A souvenir.
A greeting or token expressive of affection.
OK most of this definition is blah blah. While most of the stories have been to do with war, I thought of mine as being to do with service. Public service isn't more valuable simply because it's often lauded. This is my tribute to the women behind the men, often forgotten, or derided because they function as trophy ideals of wifehood according to the norms of the day. This is one equation in which the gain isn't always proportional to the cost. Sometimes being A wife is more important and meaningful than being the President's wife. I guess it depends on what one is looking for. Marriage is not easy by any means. But then, the grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it?
She was enamoured by the idea of being married to a servant of the nation, one with ideals, a desire for change, and most importantly, solutions. He was never around; she understood. She tolerated his reticence and absentmindedness at home, comforting herself with the hope that she had sacrificed her life for her country’s sake.
Fine-tuned:
She was enamoured with the idea of being married to an idealistic servant of the nation. Yet she'd been warned of the sacrifice involved, of silence, of separation, of secrets. She'd wait for him to come home daily, his energy sapped by less deserving people.
She couldn't imagine giving a bigger sacrifice for her country.
3 Comments:
You should read my 55 on remberance on my blog. It is not at all upbeat.......I was really trying to allude to the tragedy of a veteran.
Everyone in the war comes out damaged and scared...victors and losers both.
I visited through Sepia Mutiny. I have read Mr. Brown and silly celly in past.
Thank you for coming! I think Sepia Mutiny is a great website... discovered it a little while ago because of the Asia Blog Awards. They remind me of the political south asians at my college who I LOVED for not being apathetic!
Personally, I have nothing to do with Sepia Mutiny. I just visit them as you and others do.
I enjoyed your posts. Do visit my blog sometimes. I only put a few posts a month - they do have political element and are more pungent than Sepia Mutiny.
Post a Comment
<< Home