One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Hiatus

I havent been able to blog for a lot of reasons, and ive been feeling very guilty about abandoning it so... oh i dont know, flagrantly. i've really tried to bring myself to write, but Ive been lazy, listless, too addicted to this dumb game called Zookeeper on EBaum's world, and frankly, have not known what to write, or how to say what my heart feels without being too revealing. (Actually, I started my post on my birthday in Calcutta twice, and both times it got deleted, and Im too bored to type it out on Word first and THEN copy and paste it here).
Ive been thinking of privacy lately and how much my blog HAS changed since Ive started it. Its changed because maybe, I have. You know i used to be so trusting, and to a large degree I still am, and i realised how stupid i was. Ive been open because Ive never had any reason to feel that I need to be ashamed of my opinions, or who I am etc. And lately, eveyrthing that happens to me is so personal, so profound, yet so quotidienne in its frequency, that I wonder if Im missing something. Or that i'm not experiencing enough. I read Gaurav Sabnis's blog and Sepia Mutiny and I feel ashamed of myself, and how little Im in touch with the world, at how much my opinions have disintegrated. Today, I can only talk about clothes and shopping with my fiance, and dance class of course, (which has been my spiritual saving grace the last few weeks), and I feel DUMB. Im not doing ANYTHINg with my life, and I cant even keep a relationship going straight most of the time.
Yeah, so why are people private about their lives? Because they genuinely feel it isnt anyone's business, or theyre afraid of people judging them, because they 'respect' themselves or the persons whom are inolved in that particular aspect of their lives, or simply, that theyre ashamed. I think its this last element that creates privacy about many things (except about things that attract the evil eye like pregnancy or a desirable engagement, etc). Im not sure shame and respect can comfortably coexist. women are expected to have 'shame' about virginity, sexuality, clothing - modesty, drinking, smoking - aspects of honour relating to men. Men are expected to have shame about honour, money, drinking, smoking, - aspects relating to themselves. If you truly respect someone, or yourself, you'd never do anything you'd feel the need to be ashamed of (and this set of values or shaming things will differ from person to person), and vice versa. Thus if youre not ashamed of anything, the question of respect wouldnt arise and you'd never have any need to be secretive about anything or anyone.
Now problems occur because of this difference in values from person to person. If, for example, your relationship with your partner isnt working out, one person may prefer to pretend that everything is amazing in public, while the other may be perfectly fine with being honest about it, or talking about one's problems to one's friends, while not declaring it from the rooftops. Now I dont think this necessarily means that the honest partner wants to humiliate the dishonest one in any way, or that s/he wants to end the relationship, just that s/he acknowledges that humans have failing, and ergo, human relaionships also have failings. The downside to this may be the failure on the part of his/her friends to refrain from discussing this with still others).
That is the fundamental problem with humans. A gap between communication and interpretation. If one is casual about an opinion, it must be treated casually, and not made a sufficient deal of as to feel the need to analyse it with others. Information is vital in a society, and judgment that is necessary to individual survival, but not idle gossip, which has unfortunately, been the ruin of many a relationship that was teetering on the edge of survival.
So yes. I have been being careful. I do not wish to be analysed or criticised. I dont want people around me, who i am responsible for, and who are responsible for me, to bear the brunt of any carelessness of mine, or for me to cause them any more pain that is necessary in my life. I want my words to be just that, words, and not fodder for character assassination. For a change.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jimit Shah said...

Great! Glad that at least you are back and writing. For the first time you give an impression of actually being listless, of being tired. For the first time the thoughts do not seem as gelled or as articulate as Aranyi's. Hope you are ok. :)

I have been a (silent) reader of your blogs for the past several months and you've been a motivation for me to take up writing.

With this post, you've hit a topic that I was faced with a few months back when I started blogging.

About not expressing ourselves completely or truly all the time - Why do we have this self-imposed shell around us all the time?

1) Is it because we are mindful of the people who we think are our friends (I am not including spouse/loved one here - Maybe they are included - Maybe not)? If they cannot accept our stand or take on certain matters, it shouldn't be a big deal. Because if it is, then such friends are probably indulging in slander and it's time to question our self "Who am I indulging with - Is he/she worth my time and space?" Additionally, if they tend to have contradictory views on most matters, then I don't have a clue how people get along (Its probably compulsive to circumstance). I am not a great believer of the "Opposites Attract" Theory
2) Is it because of people we do not get along TOO well with (detractors? not the filmi enemies!!). Well, how on earth do we care if they get to have a bite of our personal life and takes and stands? Let them think and analyze and criticize. Because that's what they would anyways be doing.
3) Is it because we think people in Bullet Point 2 above would influence people in Bullet Point 1 against us? If that's the case then wouldn't it be apt to ask ourselves the question raised in Bullet Point 1? (If that made sense :))

So, quixotic fix is to let lose our thoughts and emotions since thats what we want to do. No point holding back.

That said, this is pragmatically very hard to implement. In fact, I really am pleasantly surprised to see you (a typical girl from Bombay) write so fabulously and neatly on such a wide assortment of topics - many of which are seldom touched by too many. Kudos to you!!

I'll wait and see what line you take. Probably the easier one (latter). No shame. After all we are all mere mortals.

Just my $0.02.

And yes - Belated wishes on your b'day. I know you have an eventful year ahead. Hope it brings joy and happiness! Would have loved to read that post you deleted ... Was it something about Birthdays in general? (That would make an interesting read) :-)

11:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Aranyi,
Glad to see you are back! About feeling dumb...you know and I guess all your readers know that you are not!

You know what, I have these days when I feel horrible, I write or do something which would need my complete concentration or which I can be proud of (like come up with a post which has all ppl nodding their heads saying hey me tooo ;) ... all implications intended ) and by the end of the day I am back to normal ! So hopefully you should be okie soon once you get the rusty keyboard out or go dancing or something which you like.

About privacy, I dont know, I had once long ago thought about the whys of it, and came up with so many answers none satisfactory ..In the end I remember concluding that ppl are private because it's convenient : 'I dont want somebody's piercing eyes or wagging mouths or taking-my-words-too-seriously to spoil my enjoyment or my concentration. So as a precautionary measure against such ppl, I will just be private'...Just another way of saying what you and Jimit have been saying :)

Anyway hope you reach that fine balance between giving that precious air to your thoughts, and keeping harmony!

5:09 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Thank you Jimit and Laina! That was just what I needed! yes, Ill reassess my space and see what Im fit to write about. It may be a while before I get back to my uusal effervescent, critical style... though Im beginning to think that stand is a bit immature also.

12:00 pm  
Blogger Jimit Shah said...

Thanks on 3 counts (at least)

First: Thanks a ton for those nice words about me that I am least bit deserving.
Second: Thanks for returning back to what you do best - blog.
Third: Thanks for posting the birthday blog. And yes, you do appear to be your usual effervescent critical self in that one. (Immature?? Hmmm ... Hard to tell ... Wouldn't comment!!)

I have posted this latest on my blog - Think some portions of it might be interesting for you to read, ponder and practise(?) - This contingent to you being able to find some time off for it ...

4:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain ... ZOOKEEPER MUST BE ABOLISHED! Now!

2:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. It's been a while.

4:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter