One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Sobering Suicide and Sensational Speculation

We got back from the circus on Saturday only to have mom tell us of the suicide of Cherisma Kadakia. She was visibly stunned before she knew her parents (I had become briefly acquainted with her at a party last year though our acquaintance didnt extend beyond an enjoyable conversation on the drive home).

Though there was much speculation initially, it was recently confirmed that she had Bipolar Disorder, that she had attempted suicide by slitting her wrists before, and that her potential in-laws had decided to wait till she was completely cured before confirming marriage plans wih their son. (Initially there was speculation about a disagreemen between her and her boyfriend's mother, about her parents' disapproval of the visible difference in social status, etc).

Dad, when reading the assorted newpaper reports, expressed his puzzlement and complete disapproval of her suicide, calling suicide weak and irresponsible, and I sympathised, saying that there is still so much pressure on women, subtle as it may be, to make an engagement or a marriage work, and that they are constantly expected to compromise/sacrifice etc, that the line isnt readily visible to a girl who is educated and so liberated, superficial as that term is in our society. Sometimes she has no one to turn to and does buckle under the pressure. Its perfectly normal to think about it as an option when the going gets tough, because its the only concrete way to make everything STOP once and for all, and I think it also takes immense guts (which must stem from immense emotional upheaval) to actually go and commit the act. So in a twisted way, suicidal people are actually brave enough to somehow put an end to the trouble they are being caused.

Anyway parents went to see hers on Sunday, and they returned visibly shaken. They urgently called us to them and said that her parents were completely shattered, and that since both of us are engaged, if we ever feel that we are really upset or tehre is no way out, to know that their doors are always open to us, and that we should just call and come home, and if we cant, theyll send us the ticket. And I kept thinking somehow "What happens after they pass on?" And it really upset me, this talk with them, and I started crying then and there. I mean, how different am I from her? She was also educated abroad - that didnt make her more independent emotionally. She was relatively well off, fairly pretty, sweet, with varied interests - that didnt make anyone be nicer to her or appreciate her. What defines normal and what dysfunctional? What type of shit is a woman expected to take, that is considered 'normal' in a man-woman rleationship, and what is she not supposed to tolerate? How is she supposed to react when something she wants doesnt happen or something she doesnt want to happen does? How does she cry for help when no one listens? How does she tell the truth when she is made to feel like the boy who cried wolf? When do you take someone you've already written off in despair seriously? When does s/he stop being your responsibility?

Like that forward about the boy who was going to commit suicide that weekend but who doesnt because his schoolmate offers to help him carry his books and hangs out with him over the weekend and grows into a social, successful human, I wonder if anything positive could have developed had I continued my acquaintance with her. I still have her number on my cellphone - a number I never called. I know its silly to think of it that way - she was after all, undergoing psychiatric treatment, and I wasnt involved in her life at all, and who am I to judge someone when all I did was have ONE conversation with her, when all she seemed was a bit lonely.

Even the building seems shocked at the loss. A circular that informs society of any events, functions or condolence meetings mentions the cruel hands of destiny snatching away the life of the young and vibrant Cherisma. Its dramatic, but apt and sympathetic, which is more than I can say of the muck-raking reporters. Weve been asked by a number of people we know if we or anyone we know will give quotes to assorted papers, and my parents were so angry at that. Quotes are not facts. More often than not, they involve individuals trying to get their own 15 seconds of fame on someone else's tragedy. My parents were saying that these media people have no respect for the privacy of someone's grief, and issues the family itself must face. What will it do but sell papers, provide cheap fodder for gossip and criticise? Yes, all media is powerful, but there is a difference as to what should be dwelled on and what not. And only one article I have seen has tried to use this example to deal with a very common issue of relational problems constructively, however trite it may seem.

Rest in Peace, Cherishma, and may God take you to a happier life.

*

One thing about the suicide however, is that it got all this speculation going about Grand Paradi Apts, where Cherisma lived, and where there have been a number of other suicides and also accidental deaths. And people have some very stupid theories. Some people say that something is wrong with the vaastu of the building, some say it has to do with the Tower of Silence positioned behind it, and the ghosts and all of the dead bodies waiting to be eaten there, etc. One moron also says this stupid thing. Now please tell me how these people can be considered as engaging in one-upmanship? One-upmanship is when you are competing with someone to be better than them in some way - not when you are refusing to interact with someone because you dislike them. In the case of the Dalals, they were widely disliked, and for fairly good reasons. Old parents dont commit suicide just like that. And Grand Paradi's social setup is such that it consists of fairly traditional joint families, or nuclear families with teenage children, with a fairly strong communitarian spirit, such that it is likely to disapprove of any sort of delinquent behaviour and keep well away from people who engage in them. Thats just the way it is - some more so than others, depending on the extremity of the crime perceived to have been committed.

And as to the frequency of deaths occuring in it - use your brains people - Grand Paradi comprises 3 tall buildings, with a variety of communities and family types - of course some deaths, accidental or otherwise, are likely to occur!

Its just really annoying some of the nonsense people will talk about - any chance to talk about the supposedly (relatively) well-off - talk about the green-eyed devil - if its not snarky celebrity gossip about bodies and clothes then its gloating over the unfortunate fate of some civilians - get over yourselves scoopers!

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is such a shame that society puts so much pressure on young women that they have to resort to suicide to simply put an end to the pain. I know many people who view suicide as a cowardly, weak act. I truly believe that we cannot judge a person who attempts suicide just because we have no idea what they have been. Incident X may bring out different feelings in two different people, it may push one person to commit suicide and it may just bring out a few sobs in another. I am by no means saying that suicide should be a solution....but, I just hate to see people who attempt suidice being judged by people who have no clue what the person has been through.I have worked with a lot of bipolar patients in the past and I can medically vouch for the fact that without proper treatment, these people are VERY emotionally vulnerable...and nobody can really understand their pain. Thanks Aranyi, for writing about this topic. I needs much attention, especially in certain South Asian communities where there is so much shame and disgust surrounding mental illness.

10:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your thoughtful blog on Cheri. One thing I found very sad to hear is that you thought she was lonely. Apart from loving and caring parents, she also had a sister who loved her very much. And she always surrounded herself with very close friends. During your conversation what lead you to belive she felt lonely? I am searching for answers and I am still lost.

4:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liked your post. I think people often don't realize that having a mental illness can make you feel isolated even amongst your loved ones.
It's easu to call suicide cowardly but no one knows what she went thru.

1:32 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Diya,
i totally agree. Its a shame when people view mental health in a very binary way - you're either 'normal' or youre not, rather than on a continuum that can change. And the way its misunderstood/misused!!! If youre disobedient/questioning/rebellious as a teenager, your parents ask you if you need counselling.
When Nipun KNEW she was under medication, he should have been more responsible about responding to her calls/attempting to understand her rather than shun her. Most psychological conditions have to do with relations with people and people need to understand that. You cant expect to lock a person away and expect them to get better and suddenly feel secure and loved. That only comes when the person is exposed to such beneficial emotions!

Anonymous,
Thank you. I am half regretting mentioning any personal experience of her, but that is the only tribute I can give; it also scared me because it was so close to home in so many ways. I dont know why i felt that she was lonely - maybe i could empathise, cos Ive definitely felt this way - u know how sometimes you can be in a crowd and feel so isolated because they feel so alien to you? How you know you're different, but you know you're not dysfunctional or crazy, and you dont know how to communicate it in a way that wont make people raise their eyebrows at your words/behaviour? Its just an immensely lonely feeling, because girls like us, have to conform to a very resttricted opinion of how women brought up in a certain way/lifestyle are expected to think and behave.I dont doubt that she was loved and had close friends. But when you make a guy your everything - see him as your ticket to happiness and security, thinking that you wont hav eto work for it very very hard yourself - thats the mistake all girls make. That why.

Sanjay,
Thanks. I know.

12:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aranyi,
I too think that her gender had to do with her death as much as any other factor. I can’t for even one minute picture a 25 year old guy with an MBA from UK would want to end his life in desperation because he got into a fight with his future mother in law.

Even though she was lucky to have parents who gave her all the opportunities they would have given a son, people in our society were not ready to accept a women brought up that way.

People in the media wrote that Cheri had a bad temper. Absolutely not true. The only time Cheri used to get mad was when some injustice was being done. She always looked out for the downtrodden. She did not believe in the class or caste system. Her closest friends were poor street kids who used to work at an animal shelter where she helped out at. And her outrage for injustice did not end with humans. She took great care of mistreated animals. If you lived in Grand Paradi, you may remember how instead of getting a fancy puppy, she adopted the stray dog that used to live by the security guards. So the media thinks that she had a bad temper because she chose to speak out and act out against injustice? Again would this have happened if she was a man?

I hope for your sake you get married to a man who is not from a traditional family as Cheri's boyfriend. For our traditional family values do not look kindly to a women who wants to control her destiny.

12:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Aranyi ,
If we have to go by what has been published by the newspapers , the Grand Paradi seems to have a notorious distinction so far as suicides is concerned. It cannot be brushed away saying well there are three big buildings and there are going to be some deaths .There are several such buildings even in that area and none have this kind of distinction . One newspaper report even went to the extent of saying that the occupants of the building also asked for counselling sessions .

We need not laugh at any possibility but need to check it out before we rule it out just like that .

Regards

12:54 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Dear Anonymous,
I dont know if I would take it to the relative extreme that you have in either of your comments. As to Cherisma, I have no doubt as to her kindness, it was visible in her eyes, as was her vulnerability. I dont know anything about hr bf/fiance, but is he is the typical middle-glass Gujju guy, he would definitely be a bit conservative and have a bit of a complex. Take that and a certain level of ignorance of mental/psychosomatic situations, and well - you now what they say about half-baked knowledge being more damamging than complete ignorance.
And unfortunately, this is the case with all indian families, particularly joint families - teh daughter in law can dow hat she wants - on our terms. Family first. Anything beyond domesticity is deemed odd - my love for books gets so much IRE from my family! If women have strong opinions and arent afraid to voice them - especially about the downtrodden or oppressed, unless they conform to the men's they are ignored or ridiculed. Thats just the way it is. Thats why women learn to play politics ina househole. Cherisma unfortunately may have been to straightforward for that. They say that straight trees break; flexible reeds survive - so true, sad but...

As to Grand Paradi, I seem to recall it being a veryclose-knit sort of building. I know it has ladies' societies in the building that engage in a lot of social and charitable activities, so there is definitely a sense of community there. But most members still have a somewhat conservative mindset regarding familial relations, and lets say, in such a big society with people of so many classes and castes and religions, some differences of opinion are bound to occur. Not everyone dresses the same way, talks the same way, drives the same cars there. Doesnt social ostracism occur in society? See this as a microcosm of that larger one. Why dont people blame society? Most of the people who committed suicide came from economically/socially/psychologically disturbed backgrounds. Five of them were from the same family. How does it affect the other families? That doesnt mean everyone will jump now. That article about the counselor is linked on my blog. He has no idea what he is talking about - just milking his 15 seconds of fame. I would never give such a person credit.

1:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aranyi,

There are two "Anonymous" commenters. I wrote the first two comments; I have no clue who wrote the Third one about the buildings.

1:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On that note... here's a true incident. My father's close friend from college, a leading ortho surgeon in Seattle went to India in the summer of 2004, in search of a bride for his up and coming surgeon son. This son, let's call him "Ass" and I grew up together till we were about 13 years old, when they moved away. The father found a wonderful girl, from a humble, very traditional Iyengar family, let's call her "Rupa". In Dec 2004, Ass and Rupa got married in a lavish and memorable ceremony in India. Ass and Rupa came back to the US and Ass started fellowship at the same hospital that I was a first year resident. Soon, Ass realized that Rupa, although kind and sweet did not have the "Pzaz" (as he called it) that he wanted in a partner. He was quite openly having an affair with a fellow resident. When I came to know of this, I pretty much went MAD. On the phone, I was informed by Rupa (who has no car, no DL, no idea of how to make a long distance phone call), that he had not come home in over 2 weeks. She hadn't talked to a single person (she isn't fluent in english), she had been eating canned beans and corn! I raised hell, call Ass and told him I would take legal action on Rupa's behalf if he didn't get his shit together. In the meantime, Ass's father called my dad telling him that Ass did not want to be married to Rupa anymore and he had the audacity to ask my mother (who is a lawyer) about the legal implications of "shipping Rupa off"!! My dad was enraged that Ass and his family were more concerned about legal implications that the injustice done to Rupa.

In later discussions with Rupa, she made it very clear that she COULD NOT return to India because she had 2 unmarried younger sisters who may not have a future if they had a divorced sister at home. Now, after a painful and lonely divorce, Rupa is working as a nanny for an Gujarathi family in SoCal. People in the Indian community, who don't know the entire story, assume she was at fault and that she "ruined a perfectly good thing"....bullcrap!

I visit her when I can and I have tried to revive her spirit...maybe go to college! But I realize she needs time.

Rupa was kind, beautiful, loving and good hearted. She didn't deserve this. What is more painful is that there are thousands of Rupas out there and I just wish Indian society would accept them for who they are and not judge them for all the curve balls life has thrown at them.

3:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Aranyi:
It is such a sad post about that girl. May her soul rest in peace. The one thing I do know is that people do a lot of loose talk in India. Maybe because they lead such pathetic lives themselves!

@ Diya:
I am sorry to hear about "Rupa." She deserves better than "Ass" who incidentally will get his just desserts! I believe the the laws of karma, so it will come back and bite his ass!!!!!

7:33 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Diya,
OMG that is so sad about Rupa! The first thing she needs to do is get fluent in English. With a bit of help Im sure she can set up something of her own, or continue schooling and get a job. Does her family even know about this?
For this, I completely blame Ass's father. He should have taken more care to know what his son wanted and arranged for a meeting between them. Kids DO NOT function the same way anymore, especially when there is such a continental cultural drift between them. Ass could totally have been much mroe mature and responsible about it. These people act like getting married is a piece of cake! I feel sorry for their pathetic, miserable lives. I hope your family on principle didnt help them. I cant believe the resident could actually go out with him after this attitude of Ass's! If he can cheat on his own wife just like that, what scruples is he gonna hav ein the future with ANY relationship?

4:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I for one am sick and tired of hearing about women driven to death due to bone headed societal norms in India. What Can I do to make sure that women get equal rights? Is there a organization in India that is fighting for this cause? I am ready to contribute.

4:31 pm  
Blogger Selma Mirza said...

Aranyi, the society becomes so empowered because we empower it by conforming to its norms. The moment we stop caring about what the fatass neighbouring aunties have to say for their verrandah gossip - about us, about our clothes, about our relationships, about our education, about our marriages, about our children or lack of them - be the way we are, do what we want to without worrying what the world would say - we show them all a collective finger.

I have said this in a previous post too. Girls buckle under pressure, give up on a whole lot of dreams, just to avoid being on the wrong side of the norms. Just to ensure their parents will be alright after they marry and leave living 'happily ever after' lives, just to ensure the younger sister can get herself a decent (conformed) groom. All this makes me sad and very upset.

Apart from you, nobody on the blogosphere considered this to be worthy enough to write about, but wrote reviews about some stupidass movie makes me wonder if this virtual world is becoming heartless too.

One of the anonymous commentators here could be Cherishma's sister. My online intuition usually is correct. In that case, I would like to tell you - I am sorry. Your sister isn't the suicidal bipasha basu the media made her out to be. to me she seems to be a very passionate girl, who stood up for what she believed in. how many people do you know who are so passionate? i wonder what drove her to the edge and over it. she died a troubled death, i hope god gives you the patience to deal with this. i am sorry, i could not do anything... anything at all.

3:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Selma,
No, I am not her sister. But I agree with you on everything else. Women have to take a collective stand against discrimination against women. If you don't who will? Yes, it maybe true that straight trees break; flexible reeds survive, but if you have a forest of tress they will survive. And remember this, no guy (Especially ball-less Momma's boys like Cheri's boyfriend) is worth your love, if he or his family does not respect and treat you as an equal. Don’t waste your time with these characters, move on. The pain during break-up is nothing compared to the decades of pain you will face if you get into a marriage.

11:04 am  
Blogger Selma Mirza said...

Anonymous, thanks for the advise. I will surely keep it in mind if I do end up in a similar situation.

You say - women have to take a collective stand against discrimination against women. I believe this has nothing to do with being a man or a woman. Both sides suffer equally under pressure of a particular image they are supposed to live up to....

4:03 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

its true. BOTH sides suffer. but the morons on this planet dont understand that until women are truly treated as equals, and not as posessions, trophies, ghar ki izzat and what not, the world will never realise its true poetential. sure, relationships and institutions will have to be renogiated, maybe comepletely overthrown, but i dont think theres anything wrong with that. But for this, or any progress, women have to stand together I ABSOLUTELY agree. But this requires a lot of courage because it usually may involve a woman undermining her own security in order to help another woman. and lets face it, these positions do involve too much personal sacrifice to be left lightly. i mean its all about the perspective, and the fact the world is controlled by men. perhaps we just need to stop thinking it is.

5:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter