One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Sunday, December 25, 2005

The Craziest Christmas EVER!

After my unanimously declared depressing post on Christmas in 55, I thought I'd post about yesterday. Sorry guys, even I smile when I see nativity scenes... for me that's the essence of Christmas, even though my family doesn't really celebrate it, and the one time my sister and i put up a stocking my mom gave us ghastly napkins because we needed them for our tiffins (so that gift-receiving scheme rapidly went bust). Also Christmas for me has always been associated with the Christmas pudding desrcibed by Enid Blyton... you know, English plum pudding, with charms in it that signify wishes/events for the new year, and recently, brandy-infused rich fruit pudding. I actually like moist fruitcake now! With tea infusions and all that!!! Mmmm.

Okay, so yesterday, I wasn't allowed to bring in Xmas or go for any parties because I had to wake up early for my sister's engagement. (Yes, it shall be somewhat immortalised on this blog and I don't think she will be too happy with that). YES MY MOTHER WOKE ME UP AT 5:30 am (the function was beginninga round 9 I was so pissed couldn't even sleep once I woke up). SO I showered, drew saathiyas, changed into my outfit, had my hair and eyes done... it was disgusting i looked maha chaptu and my eyes were PINK it was gross, though my sister told me to shut up cos she liked it. But i felt quite pretty in my outfit and the photographer took all these stupid single shots of me (biodata pictures I'm sure... jesus) and I had lots of fun pretending I was in a portfolio shoot and my favourite bhabhi was laughing at me acting all pouty and all. Though she told me I had a lively smile and eyes... yay!!!! There was this one point where the photographer told me to stand straight and i did and he looked a little worried and said "Not quite so straight... maybe put your leg out..." and he stuck an unhapely leg out (it was quite slim for the paunch jutting out directly above it!) and looked super gay. So i did some more modelgiri thank god it got over quickly.

The most beautiful part about waking up early was opening the window of my room, which faces the east, and suddenly hearing the Muezzin call the faithful to prayer at Bombay Central. The call floated on the wind to my ears and I felt at peace. I love it. The timbre of the muezzin voice, seems standard, and lifts uniformly to the heavens along with the devotee's soaring spirit. I love it.

Then i had to be nice to everyone and all that. Another funny thing was when I was sitting at breakfast and mom asked my maid, "Vaat lagaveli chhe?" which was really funny and ironic because in Bambaiya bhasha vaat means ruination, and my mom was asking about the wick in the candlestand that was at the door. Ummm... maybe you had to be there. It just made me smile.

Then we were chilling in various rooms and waiting for more action to happen. We had awesome breakfast at home... jalebi, papdi, corn puffs, ghughra, idli, sambar, gujju style dal- rasam vada, chola-lapsi, mithai.... shit im hungry just thinking about it. Then her inlaws came laden with gifts which was really fun to watch because of the lovely decoration. Then we went over there with gifts and we were waiting at the door for all the ladies to gather and I asked where she was and her mother-in-law, who is the NICEST person, was like "She belongs to us now, I'll call her to greet you'll", and Since then till about an hour later I was choked with a range of emotions... resentment that they could make her one of their own with just a few words, wonder that she seemed so comfortable there, sadness because it finally hit me I suppose, regret that... ooh i dont know. But there was nice food there as well, super greasy gujju food, my favourites were sambhariya bhindi, paneer, dahi samosa and AWESOME kulfi. Then we came home and I TRIED to sleep when my parents came home and we had to unpack and clean everything. By the time that was done we had to get ready for another person's dinner. Our feet were killing us after being in heels all day, not to mention our ears, and I was bitchy and SO not in the mood. But the dinner was an organic Rajasthani dinner. Random no? So i essentially travelled the length and breadth of India gastronomically in one day! Damn good food. Dahi wadas, gatta nu shaak, sag paneer, masala puri, kachori, sandesh, samosa, cake with chocolate chips and icecream.

Then I went with my favourite cousin and bhabhi to the Dome, on the Intercontinental rooftop. Thank god I had a heavy dupatta on my salwar, the evening was comfortably chilly. And i couldn't believe my eyes when I was intoduced to the people my cousins were with!!! Nagesh Kukunoor, Ilahi Hiptoola (actor/producer/activist), Aftab Shivdasani and Udita Jhunjhunwalla (journalist/movie critic)!!! I was trying to be all cool and not awestruck and all. Once i got over the initial shock THEN my foot-in-mouth-giri started. I said one embarassing thing after another, though I was honest and really meant them. But it was fun to see their reaction cos they were in splits. I won't repeat them here, and will console myself that at least I was honest, and me (and I always just need to loosen up and TALK after a day of family session and being reserved and well-behaved - you know, be myself, frank, blunt, cutting, whatever. To hell with what anyone thinks, my intentions are unquestionably pure!). Ilahi is MUCH prettier and more petite than one is led to believe from the films. and sooo vivacious and lovely!!!! Nagesh is thoughtful and measured. Aftab is as cute and lively as his films make him. Udita is damn good fun. We saw Sheetal Mafatlal in a bright red velvet-looking tracksuit looking like sexy Santa and had a brief session on her, in which I explained to Nagesh that buying the latest handbag is actually a way of seeking nirvana because fashions and hence YOU are constantly evolving. I think he think I am mad. I told Aftab IN FRONT OF Nagesh that Bollywood Calling was his worst film (only because I couldn't relate to it okay!!!). Then I mentioned that all Maru men are ugly, and she was like "But my father and brother are Marwari!" I died a thousand deaths!!! I told Aftab to not be invisible anymore and that my cousin has been in love with him 10 years ago.

But seriously, watch their movies. Hyderabad Blues 1 and 2, Bollywood Calling, Rockford, Teen Deewarein and Iqbal. About an incredible range of topics, from an expat returning to INdia and experiencing culture shock, and changing India, making movies Bollywood style, a boy's life in boarding school, a murder mystery, and a deaf and mute boy learning to play cricket respectively.

Hyderabad Blues was both a revolution in filmmaking and a revelation for us teenagers who were fed up with the mindnumbing potboilers we were being fed. Kukunoors films are, above all, honest. There's a sincerity in the making and the suject matter that's evident and that few filmmakers can match or even attempt to. Their grainy textures lend an intimacy and the situations they depict make us indentify and feel involved with the characters, who could be any of us, and the plot is evident. there's comedy, irony, superb acting. They have a vision, and passion, and it's evident in this movies. Not to mention the FABULOUS soundtracks in his films!!! Rockford had Yaaron, Aasman Ke paar, Iqbal had Ashayein, Hyderabad Blues 2 had Dil pe mat lo, haath mein lo! and Fuzon's amazing and evocative Tere Bina Jiya Nahin jaayein.

Aftab.... watch the LAUGH RIOTS Masti and Hungama for his infectious smile and goofy humour!!!

Go watch them all if you haven't!!!!
I'm only promoting them because Ive actually met them and they're nice people who believe in keeping it real. Spontaneous, relaxed, in the zone for a good time. It was a great evening, one I really needed after a stressful day. Not to mention the MASSIVE long island iced tea which was really effective!!!

...

Ooooooohhhhh I'm still struck!!!!! :D :D :D
All of you mentioned above, if you ever read this, please know that I didn't mean anything in a bad way!!!! I'm sincere despite my verbal goofs! And I had a really really good time, so thank you!!!

*************************************************************************************
Oh...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Wishing you much love, happiness and togetherness this festive season.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is up with sheetal mafatlal

1:55 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

What do you mean? I'm not obssessed with her, I didnt even recognise her, the others at my table did. No idea what's up with her these days. She seems to have become only a memory in the page 3 world now. No page 3 mentions for a month now. Though she was on the cover of Society Magazine for the 'untold story'.

3:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter