Oh my am I glad to be back! I was all set to start blogging and working and dance and gym and basically resuming my regular life when my fiance showed up in Bombay. All my plans went phut and it is only this week that i am trying to pick up where I left off while recovering from the numerous symptoms an excess of affection produces: cold, fever, an aching body, and severe sleep deprivation. I loved it in hindsight, but I think Im getting old - my body cant take it anymore!
The upside is (yes there is one!) is that I got to practice lots of driving, and spend lots of meaningful time with him, and also FINALLY take him to my fave gujju place
Swati Snacks! We ordered sevpuri, dahi batata puri, bhel, a sua bhaji panki and then hazelnut walnut icecream for dessert. I still prefer roasted almond though. He also ordered sugarcane juice. The food is surreally consistent, and the service quick, if not the politest and sweetest (though I was quite bemused to be called Madam as though I go there very often!)
Another downside (which I thought would be an upside) was that I dragged his cousins to see Krishna, schmoozing along filled with romantic ideas about educating them about Hindu culture and the past in a fun way a la Hanuman. Oh how deluded I was! i suppose I should have known from the get go, from the hoarding that is:
See, isn't it kinda cute? I thought it would be some sort of 3-D animation with a bit of Japanese anime influence thrown in, and a bit of Shrek. But wow, did it fail to impress! The figures are wooden and stilted - look as though they are mad of styrofoam and move in jerks and belatedly. The voices and lip synchronisation was off, the movements were in slow motion. The ornamentation was not ornate in the least - more earthy and basic Chanakya than he grandeur of the Mahabharata. The expressions on the faces of the characters hardly changed, Krishna's voice was annyingly soft and girly, and if I had a penny for each time Krishna was described as "natkhat" and "lal" i'd be a millionaire by now. God the 2 degree variation in dialogue drove me nuts. Kaliya looked like some GI Joe missile action figure, and Kans like any Telugu hero - potbelly, moustache and bloodshot eyes. I didnt say awake long enough to see Radha, sorry, and we walked out after my fiance caught me napping, around the time Krishna and Balram go to Mathura as young men. Oh, also, the Hindi was too hardcore shudh and Sanskritised to really appeal to today's generation - it was almost like they were trying to impose the Mahabharata series mentality onto a new target market - and failing miserably. As did I in trying to be the cool bhabhi. Man the last movie I took them to was Shaadi Karke Phas Gaye Yaar. Bechare they are phasofying with me.
Conclusion: As much as I hate to say this, bad idea. Stick to your books, and the old movie/TV series.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home