One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Myths and Superstition

So a random thought occurred to me in the shower at the gymn this evening. I was thinking about all the nonsense customs we have in our culture for the maintainance of 'suhaag' and fasts that married women must keep to assure the longevity of their husbands etc. and of which I personally have not heard any men, married or otherwise keeping - for the sake of their marriage or the assurance of finding a good wife, that is. Mondays - supposedly for a good husband, Karvachauth, Chunari Chaudas, Garv something - some fast that Kutchchis have, and so on...

And besides, there is some controversial theory in Hindu scholarship that states that women became widows because of their ego. And thinking about that theory (well, hypothesis, or opinion, technically)...

One could very well dismiss this as nonsense, or if one wanted to give these customs a little more credit than that - as a vestige of the virulent and very conspicuous social injustices women were subjected to if for whatever reason they did not have a husband - being considered unlucky if they were single, or raped, ostracised or otherwise ill-treated if they were widows or war wives. But at the same time I wonder that if one has grown up being taught to believe in and to keep these fasts, and if one rejects their belief and practice in one's adult life, that one's attitude accordingly would become less irreverent of the husband, causing, in fact, a dissolution of the marriage, or (to really stretch it to theological proportions) the death of the husband. Which begs another question - do husbands exist and thrive because women worship them or what they stand for? Does the very phenomenon of belief bring God into existence?

It would take a great deal of courage to break the walls of vehem that surround us to stop fasting and see what happens, if a change in attitude really occurs, - I know I dont have that kind of courage - and it would certainly cause an uproar in many families if they believe in it. (Of course note that this only stands true if you've grown up in such a culture - I dont believe this would even be questioned in the Western culture, for example, where women and men dont have all this socio-cultural pati-parmeshwar - "husband as God" baggage attached to them).

And somehow, its unfortunate that worldwide, despite the public lauding the advancing education and achievements of women, they are still speculated upon if they are single (though we already know from statistics that more professional men in high positions are likely to be married and have children than professional women are).

There is no doubt about the improved quality of life that a good marriage can offer for both sexes (or genders, or parties) - companionship, constructive criticism, a warm bed and hearth, love, laughter, understanding, co-operation, compromise, trust, loyalty... and all of that comes because two have tangoed (in the bed and out).

It's just odd that someone thought that something external like fasts or temple visits or certain food or clothing for the husband would foster that relationship. On the contrary, it speaks to me of an inherent weakness in man, a tenuousness in this bond, that isnt supposed to exist.

*shrugs*

22 Comments:

Blogger Anurag said...

its true that many of the customs which we follow are archaic...or at least most of us feel so
but then i beleive that most men also, of our generation, donot encourage or foster these beleifs
eg. there was a time when the wife did not take the husband's name n referred to her as "aap"...but today in most modern marriages... both husband n wife are equal

but then yes..we as a country..as a culture.... in our beleifs.. have a long way to go

4:06 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Superstition and rituals are a curse to mankind, but yet we are so caught up in them. Take the example of Jains believing the nonsense about not eating roots in the name of non-violence. Now, if that ain't retarded, then what is? All this fasting for the husband crap is total BS and women should stop this shit at once. Its the weak women with low self-esteem and crap filled in their heads that practice such nonsense, and what's up with pradyushan??? I get emails from people to please forgive them. Do the Jains expect to do shit to others because they know that every once a year they can ask and get forgiveness? Why even bother? These are the bullshit things that really piss me off sometimes. I mean its so damn fake for people to blindly follow some century old customs.

People have been blindly following this nonsense in fear of being marginalized, or ostracized by society, or the fear of going to hell or some reincarnation theory crap that was told to them.

People: wake up and smell the coffee!!! Instead of abstaining from eating roots and sending chain emails for forgiveness, focus your energies on global crises like global warming, war, hunger etc. Ask a Jain about that??? No, he would rather selfishly donate money to the derasar - whatever!!!!

8:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would take a great deal of courage to break the walls of vehem that surround us to stop fasting and see what happens, if a change in attitude really occurs, - I know I dont have that kind of courage - and it would certainly cause an uproar in many families if they believe in it.

I am rather surprised that after all your writings you are saying you don't have the courage to change some of these silly practices?
Maybe you want to sit down and have a chat with him. The changes can begin at your level no?
So will neither you nor your fiance will try to change this cos you live in one joint family and eveyr one needs to live in harmony regardless of personal beliefs?
I am just trying to understand this that's all.

9:56 am  
Blogger Makhtub said...

I am with jay in this! I absolutely cannot believe after all that u write or say in this blog U also mention that U will do all of this or are not too sure if you have the courage to say NO!!!

OMG, after all that education that U got and all that beliefs you have, if u still say this, then truely it is a lost cause for women all over the world...Because the cycle will continue u will pass it on to ur daughters too!!

1:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Sanjay. Aranyi, for all your corageous writing and bold statements, it is very surprising how you don't live upto those things in practise. I mean, we know you don't believe in half the crap, but in order to keep up appearances and "fit in" you're eating away at your real self. Must be quite suffocating!!!

1:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aranyi

at the end of the day you ought to follow your heart. I find it hard to believe that your folks won't be underastanding enough. But then again what is it that you would truely like..! Doesn't matter even if it sounds idiotic and crazy to some.

3:52 pm  
Blogger Sai said...

I can understand your fears and concerns. Many modern Indian women are faced with this dichotomy.... on one hand one has had the wonderful education and independence (like you have had) but on the other hand there is this adherence to traditions as dictated by the family one marries into. I don’t know you so will not judge you. I am assuming that you are merely voicing your thoughts/fears. I have also gone through myriad of mixed emotions when I got engaged ten years ago! The bottom-line is you have to maintain your identity!

We, Maharashtrians, have this "Vat Savitri" pooja on a full moon day in the Hindu month of Jyestha (I think) and “Hartalika” fast one day prior to Ganesh Chaturthi. I have been married for ten years and have never fasted. I have seen women do that pooja around the banyan tree in rural Maharashtra. It did not surprise me at all mainly because their status depends on their husband’s well being. I was appalled however when I came here to the US and saw two of my classmates in grad school seriously keep the Karwa Chauth. One of them had invited me to join her and of course I politely declined. I was thinking to myself that this girl is a huge fan of Karan Johar's tear-jerking melodramas.

I love my husband very much. Although I think he is the right person for me, because he believes in gender equality and shares my feminist beliefs... YET I would never do this pooja for him. It also does not mean I don’t respect him. In fact that the way he treats me makes me respect him more! Most importantly I don’t think my doing the pooja would make any difference to the happiness of our marriage or longevity.

Traditionally gender roles were defined. A woman’s status depended on her being a “suhagan” or “savasheen” (in Marathi). A lot of premium was given to that and to the amount of male children she would produce. I would like to believe that it isn’t so pronounced now because I dare not say that it is non-existent.

Also you comment about overall speculations about single and unmarried female professionals… the reason why some female professionals don’t marry might be because they have not met the right person and also could be because they cannot deal with nincompoops for husbands. While those women who stay in unhappy marriages do so because they do not have financial independence and the courage to break away from social norms.

In my opinion you were, by birth, given the opportunity and the privilege to live the life that you have led (again basing this assumption from your previous posts). Therefore you ought to comprehend what makes sense and what does not. Concepts like Karwa chauth do not make sense at all! These are subtle ways to subjugate women.

6:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

uv changed

6:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only time I fast is to fit into my cute Dolce and Gabbana dress ;) But hey, I'm of the opinion - live and let live. If you want to fast, go ahead and fast girl...and if you want to eat a cow alive, do it. As long as you can live with it and you're happy, screw others!

1:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as you can live with it and you're happy, screw others!


Sounds like a plan lanikai, except if you go read the past posts in the archives. What looks to be a woman who had her own mind, courageous, intelligent, witty and charming (which I think is still true) seems to be saying she lacks the courage to go against a simple custom like fasting?

It isn't about living and let live, the responses are about her self confessed lack of courage which for some of us having known her via the blog is a bit hard to reconcile with. But it's her life.

2:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogs (like any writings) in general are fronts, they may have some truth to it, sometimes, not even a fraction. Part fact, part fiction, part fantasy. The breakup depends case-per-case basis.

Aranyi, I have always enjoyed your blog since it started. Did I take very seriously ever, No. Only, the one you wrote about eve-teasing at work in India. That one was quite personal, and one could sense it.

People who took your blog as a manisfesto and too seriously, I am just amused.

Enjoy and cherish your new changes and new direction in your life. Write what makes you happy, and what you want to share.

Although, I may say you may revisit the "rebilluous woman" persona in light of new real events in your life. I get a feeling that you are getting tangled in your own spin from past, and commenters are calling you out. Well, then it adds cyber-drama.

Maybe, not, do what makes you happy.

All the best.........

7:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pick any religion on this face of the earth - It has fasting. Judiasm, Christianity, Islam - you name it. On a metaphysical level, fasting might have benefits, and it strains your system and force one to introspect. Example, Gandhi.

Now, to wife worshipping husband - you might not like it, fair enough - but it is also present amongst Evangelicals, Mormons, and even Calvinists. And, remember, US of A has a very Calvinistic core. So take your pick. I am just broader context.

Fasting or no fasting, has nothing to do with modernity, and progress. Pepsi CEO Indra Nooyi is very openly religious - She flies to a temple in Philly in a private jet every Monday or Sunday. She can afford it. And, she is very powerful.

The jist is - regarding superficial social customs like fasting - breaking and obeying is no indicator of courage, and real progress. Just taste.

8:37 pm  
Blogger Sai said...

Fasting if done by one’s own volition is a choice that one adopts and it is no one else’s business. If however one does that under societal pressures or the fear of not being accepted then that is a totally different story.

A lot of people turn to spirituality or religion for mental peace and general wellbeing. Accepting who you are and where you come from is the first step towards progress! However there is a lot of difference between religion and superstition. This difference must be recognized and the two should not be associated.

9:36 pm  
Blogger Makhtub said...

@lanikai

As long as you are happy and u can live with it?

LOLOLOLOLOL...That is some great logic...

11:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kush,

Some different perspective there..
I liked it.

6:57 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Wow... some really great comments and perspectives here! Thankfully Im not going to have to do any new fasts... I was just extrapolating on the types of fasts Im aware of in Hinduism among various communities. Im not against fasting per se - its healthy and cleanses the body and is recommended by health experts once a month, or if one believes in it for one's own spiritual progress. I know various men who fast for certain Gods on thursdays, for ganpati etc; I simply wasnt awrae of anyone doing this for their wives.
What i was trying to say is that women are more susceptible to social pressure. While no one may expect the daughter-in-law to fast for the husband, the family might epxect her to fast if there is a tradition of fasting for religion, among both men and women. Of course, few will force her if her health doesnt permit. I for instance get severe migraines if hungry and dehydrated. But such a practice is usually ingrained from childhood.
In my belief, there are two kinds of attitudes towards change - one is to embrace, and another to fear change. Im kinda in the middle right now, and any extra effort required on my part (while expected) freaks me out a little bit, which again, I console myself as being natural. Im not going to change my opinions on things until i have valid information and proof that another opinion may be more right or better for my situation given the changing times, but I cant expect to change another's opinion unless I have made a sufficient positive impression on them, and that is called working the system from the inside.
Many of you will observe that traditions have become lax in your own families relatively if you look at the generational changes between your grandmother, your mother, and your wife or yourself. We practice and believe far less than our grandparents did, be it a method of cooking or praying or whatever. It takes time to change and adapt - for all parties involved. Maybe my opinion about this will be drastically different in ten years - and it could go either way.

Kush actually made a pretty good observation about blogs being fronts, part truth, part fiction, part fantasy. My blog holds the beliefs I cant always confide to real people, and a closure sort of way to reconcile the incongruency between my beliefs and my actions.

4:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmmm....you're talking of a gender dimention here but very simply..fasting in general to please the gods or whatever...is just a matter of belief....some do, some dont....

Personally, I couldn't care less. Dont like thr idea..and my twisted logic is that , it must be a sadistic God to get pleased by seeing humans starving...that goes against the greatness of god so it mus be a shitty man made concept!

6:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kush actually made a pretty good observation about blogs being fronts, part truth, part fiction, part fantasy.

Now thats a generalization. I wouls posit that unless you know otherwise thats not the case. How about the possibility that people only blog about certain things? That does not make it a front at all. It might simply be that those are the things one may feel honest about putting out on a public space.

1:54 pm  
Blogger Canary said...

Are we not defining our own customs for ourselves now? I am not talking of hippy youth who defy tradition.. but all of us born in these times writing life for ourselves?

11:03 am  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

Sanjay,
who says fantasies are fake just because they're not real? While I agree that not all blogs are fronts, and some are factual and expert, they can be wish-fulfilling in many ways, even if they are simply venting grounds. When someone blogs, s/he is interacting initially with an imaginary audience, or with oneself. The audience then becomes real, and this becomes problematic for fastasy-oriented individuals, who may not necessarily be liars, just sad, because this audience questions his/her statements, and while this leads to dialogue and is generally very constructive and developmental, it can also sometimes cause a blow to those bloggers who were simply just trying to be happy, in a way - i dont know how to describe it. Then teh readers become very much like the people s/he encounters in real life, and part of the cathartic purpose of blogs is lost.

Chandni,
That thought has definitely crossed my mind!

Canary,
I think each generation adds some amalgamation to the cultural mix, but it takes a while to become deep-rooted, and its difficult to qualify from an individual front. Sure, but we do all make changes, and work the system to suit us the best way we can.

12:45 pm  
Blogger chandra said...

aranyi,

u write beautifully.i have seen your 'dance' snaps...and will consider myself fortunate to see your stage performance. i have great faith in your abilities, and hope to see you recognised internationally.

warm wishes

chandra

4:05 pm  
Blogger Roon said...

hi Aranyi - just happened to drop by at your blog. And wow....what a collection of work, thoughts and musings over the years... going thru this particular thread - my own thought is : lots of these so called "traditions" are "unforgotten habits" of a generation that are passed on ... its like why many Brahmins still wear a sacred thread - something that at another day and age made sense, because of their wanderings in snake infested forests (and hence as a ready tool to restrict blood flow, should there be a snake bite). Today, living in cities, the sacred thread continues to hang...:-)... but I guess if old habits die hard, old traditions die harder... eventually am sure a lot of these unforgotten habits, with time - will be forgotten.

6:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter