CO commented on Jainism on my pilgrimage post, and I thought I should write a little bit about the 'festival' for lack of a better word, that is going on among Swetambari Jains right now, and will start for Digambaris next week - Paryushan (Parva means festival).
Most of the info from
Jainworld, and
Jainnet which has the potential to be far more interesting and more attractive to read for the ignorant laity, as they so adorably call it.
I think I should first impart some info on Jainism that i myself have recently rediscovered. Jainism was founded thousands of years ago. It also functions, like Hinduism on the concept of the cyclical nature of time (an ascending and a descending half circle - the ascending implying a gradual evolution in goodness and culture, and the descending, a devolution in goodness and innocence) and the presence of religion and karma, like the Yugas in Hinduism, but with many more divisions. Apparently we are currently in the 5th, or Unhappy (Duyama) stage of the descending half circle (Avasarpii). There will be 3 more even more unhappy eras before the ascending cycle begins again. Apparently this particular stage commenced 3 years and 3.5 months after Mahavira's nirvana in 527 BC and will last for 21,000 years. So yup, we are in the Kalyug! (But the 4th stage, Duyama-Suyama (Unhappy-Happy), is believed to be the ideal for human evolution as many great personalities are believed to be born during that time. So you have Mahavira, Buddha, high culture flourishing worldwide, etc., and superb potential for reform).
Anyway, the religion is believed to have been born from the first Tirthankara Rushabdev, who is claimed to be the father of Bharata, who this subcontinent is named after. He was a great king who introduced the arts and agriculture into his tribe. Most of the tirthankaras (spiritual teachers), of which there are 24, are historically kshatriyas, and some sort of royalty, most from the Ikshvaku dynasty of Ayodhya (Dasaratha's and Ram's lineage), with only 2 from another clan. They came periodically, like Hindu avatars, to spread religion and promote salvation for the world. Rushabdev's last avatar Parshvanath (whom Jains pray to, like Hindus do to hanuman, for safety and prevention of obstacles) was the first documented historical Tirthankara and the immediate predecessor of Mahavira, the last and most famous Tirthankara.
(Now all this talk of origins confuses me a little bit because some people claim that jainism is Pre-vedic as some images have been found in Harappa and Mohenjo-Daro (which we know, thus far, was purely Dravidian), which closely resemble Jain sculpture from certain other periods, and that ascetism predated the vedas. Unless jainism predated the Tirthankaras themselves, of course.)
Parshvanath coined the Chaturya Dharma, or 4-fold vows, which comprise
(1) Abstinence from killing living beings;
(2) Avoidance of falsehood;
(3) Avoidance of theft, and
(4) Freedom from possessions.
He also advised the practice of Sallekhana, which means 'peaceful death'. It involves giving up attachment to the body in the face of disease, old age, etc, and the sloughing off of karma and accumumulation of punya can be hastened by the stoppage of food etc, thus hastening death and preventing more bondage from karma.
Mahavira also recommended ahimsa (non-violence), not to lie (satya), not to steal (asteya), not to covet anything/detachment (aparigraha) and an important addition - chastity (brahmacharya). These are called the Panch Mahavrat (the five great vows) (or anuvrats or partial vows for laymen/householders) and aimed to remove attachment in the form of Raag (love) through the kashayas or passions of Maya (illusion) and Lobh (greed) and Dvesh (repulsion) through Krodh (anger) and mana (ego).
These 5 vows, and the avoidance of the 3 M's Madya (wine), Maans (meat) and Madhu (honey) comprise the 8 basic virtues of a householder.
These were supplemented by the 4 virtues Jains were encouraged to possess:
Maitri, i.e., Friendship with all living beings,
Pramoda, i.e., Delight at the sight of beings, better qualified or more advanced than ourselves on the path of liberation,
Karuna, i.e., compassion for afflicted beings, and
Madhyastha, i.e., Tolerance or indifference to those who are uncivil or ill-behaved.
Seven smaller vows (Silavrats) supplement the 5 great ones, and were recommended to be followed by laymen, the latter 4 especially for those preparing for an ascetic life:
Digvrata, i.e., Taking a lifelong vow to limit his worldly activity to fixed points in all directions,
Desavrata, i.e., Taking a vow to limit the above also for a limited area,
Anarthadanda-vrata, i.e., taking a vow not to commit purposeless sins,
Samayika, i.e., Taking a vow to devote particular time everyday to contemplation of the self for spiritual advancement,
Poshadhopavasa, i.e., Taking a vow to fast on four days of the month, namely, the two 8th and the two 14th days of the lunar fortnight,
Upabhoga-paribhoga-parimana, i.e., Taking a vow every day limiting one's enjoyment of consumable and non-consumable things, and
Atithi-samvibhaga, i.e., Taking a vow to take one's food only after feeding the ascetics, or, in their absence, the pious householders.
A couple of fundamental differences between Hinduism and Jainism: the Tirthankaras have never recommended the worship of a God. Jainism is a way of life. The idols of the Tirthankaras that are worshipped in temples are not believed to have boon-granting abilities the way Hindu Gods are, though people still wish and make vows and conditions there anyway. Pooja and anointing the idols are simply considered to be a focal point for meditation and peace.
Jainism also believes in the concept of Anekantvad, of the pluralism of perspectives, such that many different viewpoints can exist based on individual perceptions. Ironic somewhat as it does believe in the Three Jewels of Right Faith, Right Knowledge, and Right Conduct. Hence the heartfelt repentance that occurs on the last day of the festival below.
Paryushan is basically an 8-day period of repentance, that starts for Swetambaris in the last week of Shravan and continues into the Bhadarva month (around August-September), while for Digambars it lasts for 10 days from the 5th to the 14th day of the bright half of Bhadrapad (the Hindu calendar is a lunar one) during Chaturmaas (4 months of monsoon). It originated with the nomadic Jain monks/ascetics settling in one place for the monsoons, and give discourses and revive interest in the scriptures during this period. During this time, a section on Mahavira's birth, and the 14 prophetic dreams seen by his mother is read and is celebrated in the temple with the distribution of sweets etc. much like a festival. The rest of the time, however, it is a period in which all Jains should give up for a short period of time attachment and sensory pleasure, in an attempt to slough off old karma and prevent the accumulation of new ones. This process involves practices such as visiting temples, samayik (48-minute - which comprises 2 ghadis or 1/30th of an Indian day- period of prayer and peaceful meditation and recollection, or, as an aunt says, 2 minutes per tirthankara), pratikraman, (prayer of repentance and resolution of ahimsa in word, thought, and deed), eating simple food comprising grains and pulses only (strict Jains avoid fruit, tomatoes, any food fermented overnight, bread, outside food, honey), fasting for any period of time, to even taking maun vrats (vows of silence) for a specific period of time.
Practices as the ones mentioned below should take place:
Amari Pravartan - Total Non-Violence Special Attention to Jeev Daya is to be paid during these days. One should undertake fasting as per personal capacity and take care not to hurt even the minutest organisms, even those which cannot be seen by naked eyes.
Sadharmik Vatsalya - Love towards co-follower of Jain religion, in two ways:
Dravya Bhakti: Honouring co-follower by gifts etc.
Bhaav Bhakti: Helping co-followers to be stable and then firm in their religious beliefs and lending a helping hand whenever required.
Shamapana - Asking for Forgiveness If you have hurt someone or have any ill-feelings, you should ask for heartfelt forgiveness from that person. Do not leave any trace of anger or enemity towards anyone in the heart.
Attham Tap - Fasting for 3 days. (I think either Gandhiki or Mahavira says that the tongue is the greatest sinner). Our body needs to be prepared & purified for a stage where it does not require any food and finally this helps in shredding of the bad karma collected in the past. Of course, some people fast for more than that, surviving 8-16 days on neither food nor water, or on only bioled water between sunrise and sunset and nothing at night.
Chaitya Pari Paathi - Visiting local Jain Temples. It should be done in a manner and clothing befitting royalty in a procession. In the temples, you should leave materials used in puja, dhoop (incense sticks), sandalwood, silver pages (aangi material). This will help you in softening yourself and help you in moving ahead in religion. It will help you in understanding the written truth (achieve samkit). (ok, I copied that directly from the JainNet website and it sounds like scary uncle propaganda).
Pratikramana however, is an important characteristic of Paryushan for all Jains, on the last day (Samvatsari) at least, if not everyday of Paryushan or during the year. It lasts for anywhere between 1-3 hours and includes:
Samayika: to stay in equanimity by withdrawing to the self.
Prayers to the Five Supremes, 24 Jinas and the 4 mangalas, including the Dharma as presented by the ancient Masters.
Prayer to the Master(Guru) or the Deity.
Reflections on vratas and past transgressions.
Kayotsarga: detachment from the body by controlling it.
Pratyakhyan: making resolutions for the next period (next year for Samvatsari Pratikramana).
A prayer said during it ("KHAMEMI SAVVE JIVE,SAVVE JIVA KHAMANTU ME, METTI ME SAVVE BHUYESU,VERAM MAJAHAM N KENAI") means:
"I forgive (from the bottom of my heart without any reservation) allliving beings (who may have caused me any pain and suffering either inthis life or previous lives), and I beg (again from the bottom of myheart without any reservation) for the forgiveness from all livingbeings (no matter how small or big to whom I may have caused pain andsuffering in this life or previous lives, knowingly or unknowingly,mentally, verbally or physically, or if I have asked or encouragedsomeone else to carry out such activities). (Let all creatures knowthat) I have a friendship with everybody and I have no revenge(animosity or enmity) toward anybody."
At the end of the Pratikraman, people bow down and say "Micchhami Dukdam" to each other, asking for forgiveness for any sin committed in word, thought or deed towards the other during the course of the previous year, with a resolution to start afresh.
No one eats after Pratikraman, which ends at sunset, except for piggies. Jainism states that food should not be taken after sunset, because germs multiply at night, (and anyway healthfreaks will tell you that metabolism slows down towards night anyway, so its only in one's own interest to not eat then.)
There's my little bit of Jnanyug towards inner peace and moksh. (of course, blogging and research keeps me out of trouble with other people, but sometimes it gets me into trouble as well!) Sorry for the dry post, but if you like religion or learning about other cultures, you should find it quite interesting. Will post more as I learn more. But will field your arguments soon CO!
16 Comments:
I thought we called it Pajyushan. So you are a devout jain??
Jain, yes. Dad is. Devout, not particularly. I prefer to imbibe the principles of any religion rather than the rituals. Im not comfortable with that yet.
Hi Aranyi, I appreciate your frankness that you are not not comfortable with the rituals associated with religion, and its no surprise that from your blog about Jainism, over 90% of it was about nothing but rituals that say what you should do and not do, and about salvation, moksha, terms that are sprayed around like water jets in a circus. Everyone talks about these things, like they are so sure that's the right way. I honestly think that the creators of any cult or religion are deluded themselves without knowing it, and generations of fools after them abide by every word uttered by them to seek some sort of salvation.
Lol thts the same thing I say whn asked if I'm jain. I say my parents are. I dont see the sense in following any one religion only, or crazily.
I always say my parents are hindu.
In fact when getting interviewd for my Masters I was grilled for 10 mins because in my for m I wrote "None" under the category of religion!!!
I am an athiest so that's diff...but even if i do believe, it would be never in any sort of institution/ritual/idol etc...it just makes me super uncomfortable!
CO,
to each his own. Sometimes rituals can be comforting, religious or otherwise, in teh form of a daily routine. and if they hellp someone, or bring people together in a spirit of unity,, at teh same time by NOT creating a spirit f exclusion, then why not?
Yeah Pragni and Chandni, religion is a bigger deal than it needs to be here unfortunately. It tears apart people as often as it brings them together, as it was meant. See how much ego was there when teh sects split up, right after mahavira's death... the spirit of jainism got diluted then and there itself.
Sometimes rituals can be comforting, religious or otherwise, in teh form of a daily routine.
But you have to believe in something otherwise they are just rituals done for either some part of you that feels ok or for your family.
It's probably more comforting to be actually of use to some one in the world who is less fortunate or could use a helping hand.
hey-- this post was very timely coz last night I was attempting to explain to my roommate and realized I had no idea what I was talking about. Ive not been keeping the pajushan, I mean-- I've been eating everything.... but really want to sit back and think about why I've disowned jainism. as you said, it is a way of life and not a religion...
I just don't like the superior-ism that jains associate with themselves...
thanks for this post. I'm re-evualating my stand on being a jain.
Aranyi,
To each his/her own - absolutely, true. But just as smoking has been labeled as injurious to health, the same should appy for religion - it may mess with your mind. Religion, be it Jainism, Christianity or whatever, has become a business, and every faith and denomination of faith is trying to convert people to get more power/money. If it were true that to each his own, why do religious "leaders" try so hard to convert others to their point of view. It is a fact that many Jain temples were built from money that was earned by exactly opposite of what the religion preached, for example, opium trade.
Also, I find it inane that people actually believe in the nonsense that by not eating a garlic, potato or onion (roots) you are saving some organisms because some bufoon recommended that thousands of years ago - maybe that person was high on weed or something - I mean, really!! This is non-scientific and completely basesless information that has been passed down, and aimlessly followed by people in hopes of achieving salvation. Well, all I can say is keep trying, and failing.
Man is just fine the way he/she is if they can de-condition themselves from all this religious shit.
Man is just fine the way he/she is if they can de-condition themselves from all this religious shit.
We're crazy if we think we can "de-condition" ourselves from anything, religious or otherwise. We are irrevocably the sum of our experiences. We're even crazier if we fail to acknowledge that certain ostensibly secular pursuits closely resemble religion in all but name, which suggets to me that people need something that fits the parameters, even if it doesn't involve explicitly religious or supernatural elements.
The fanatic unbeliever is as dangerous as the fanatic believer. The greatest horrors of our species have been perpetrated by two kinds of people: those who believed in one thing too much, and those who believed in nothing.
CO, erosopher et all
I do hope some of you have spent sometime learing about things you so harshly critisize.
Or do you think it is your god given right to denounce things you do not understand or are not confortable with.
I do hope, you generally do hardwork of thinking and learing about things before you give your opionons and jusdgements. Or do you think its just fashionable to denounce religion even when you know so little about it ??
Brij, You sound like you are "enlightened". Do attempt to thrill us with you religious acumen, as it relates to the Jain faith? I stated that some Jain beliefs are complete nonsense, and the rituals and habits that are a part of it are simply nonsensical, and to see them so rabidly followed makes me wonder as to if people have completelt lost their mind!!! I am just trying to help them realize that they should stop this silly farce. That's all. Next time, please substantiate your point of view, or its no point commenting.....
Brij, I did "try" and get into Jainism and the more I read the arcane and ancient texts, the more I realized how unsuitable they were for me, and the more time I spent with it, the lesser the benefit I achieved. I tried fasting, regulating my diet and doing all the other BS associated with the faith. There was no change in psyche, mind and certainly no transformation. I also took a close look at the people around me "persevering" with this faith and I saw no difference in them, just that they like me were totally brainwashed, and superstitious. Then I thought to myself, who cares about reincarnation, Rushabdev, Mahavira, Digambara, Swetambara, onions, garlic, charity and all that. I mean of what use is this, if the people who espouse this are major money-hoarders, bigots and have gotten a lot worse under the cloak of religious progress. So I decided to put an immediate end to this, went to Madras Cafe and ordered Onion Rava Masala Dosa. Yum Yum, and that put an end to my tryst with Jainism....
CO,
you have chosen to focus on rituals rather than principles. Jain principles of universal love, truth, compassion and non-violence are timeless and are as relevant today.
I am not sure why you needed to get into the Jainism in the first place and who told you that fasting would bring about some transformation.
Bigots and money hoarders are to be found even among athiests. Its pity you choose to pick example that will support the conclusions you have already made.
There are many Jain families that live in Mumbai's chawls and slums... far from money hoarders that you talk about.
History is filled with exapmles of magnanimity of Jains and yet you choose to pick and example no one has heard of.
We have a historian in the UK here who claims holocaust never happened..! Should I therefore start condemning all historians..?
Bigots are the ones who draw extreme conclusions from stray observations.
For any serious inquiry you need an open mind and sincereity of purpose. Its pity that you think that such a great religion you will understand by reading few books and practising rituals without understanding them.
You can enjoy your masala dosa as much as you like..so long as you remember to show respect and courtesy for other points of view.
Brij: You said: Jain principles of universal love, truth, compassion and non-violence are timeless and are as relevant today.
Let me ask you, name one faith/ religion that does not say the above. All religions talk about the same nonsense abstractions of love, truth, compassion and non-violence. Let me ask you: what is love, what is truth? How is this different from Jainism compared to any other religion???
Why do you need to follow anything to have love, truth, compassion and non-violence. Every man is born with these things, and you don't need culture or religion to tell you about these things. In fact, when they start telling you what to do, they interfere with the natural state of man, and mess things up even more. All this talk about salvation and nirvana is something they invented to rope people into "following" them or their teachings. Without that bait, there would not be most religions. The Christians talk about the Day of Reckoning, the Jains and Buddhists and even Hindus talk about moksha, and I think all this is a load of crap.
Yes, and I do enjoy my masala dosa very much- thank you!!!
CO you said
" Every man is born with these things, and you don't need culture or religion to tell you about these things."
Why was there a need for you to get into Jainism then?
Any way I doubt if anyone advised you to turn to any religion to seek your salvation.
So have some love that you claim to have naturally been born with and let people follow their faith in peace. After all no one asks you to stop eating your Masala Dosa.
Post a Comment
<< Home