One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Saturday, March 04, 2006

What if I were Castaway?

Survival is an issue that's concerned me for a while. Am I the type of person who can become obsolete? Would I be able to look after myself if I were castaway? How spoilt am I? How much do I, and all of us, take it for granted that we will always have everything we have now?

After a nerve-wracking morning, and also a couple of conversations yesterday with some clients, it re-occured to me how much we've all changed and how dependent we've become on technology. My 40 year old clients were reminiscing about how excited they were when teh fax machine came out, and how slow and noisy it was! And how the first time they came to India there were only 3 channels, then a year later, there were 6, and how now, about 15 years later, it's filled to the brim with all sorts of technology that's cheaper than the West etc, how there's a an ipod-cum-cellphone in the works now and how people are gonna buy that and how tired we get of technology every 6 months.

Talk like that, though spurred on by nostalgia, gets me really sad as to what we as a society have become. Slowly, joint family comprising 3, if not four generations, and various assorted branches, have split over the years due to various property prices issues and moves. Then, in a few decades, generations of effort and tradition involved in maintaing the values of togetherness and tolerance shattered with the rise of the nuclear family, and it is already observed here that unmarried children already have homes of their own.

Is it a progression? From an entire family - parents and two children, sharing a 15x15 room with an attached bathroom, to a house filled to the brim with possessions and thats still too small to provide them with enough 'personal space'?

From one car for 20 people to one car per person? From no driver for a car at all to life completely coming to a standstill, accompanied by various fits of impotent rage and helplessness when one of the many employed doesn't show up?

From Doordarshan Chhayageet on peaceful afternoons surrounded, babied and loved by loyal family servants to hundreds of channels, the internet, and incurable restlessness and boredom, even on the part of 8 month old babies after playing with a textured noise-making multiculoured bauble for 10 minutes!

From live friends who are sucked into their own vortex of job, marriage, career, weight loss, to online strangers who sometimes mean more, or are more necessary for survival simply because they are there when you need them.

I know I'm one to romanticise a past I barely remember, and that people who have actually lived through them are grateful for some of the changes, but when I can't watch a fairly interesting movie without checking my mobile phone at least twice, or hold a general conversation comprising everyday banalities about my day and my interactions without becoming conspicuously impatient, Houston, we have a problem.

*snort* telling the West, which has pretty much been the unwitting originator of our lifestyle problems (to make a blanket generalisation) to solve them.

*************************************************************************************

But seriously, what if I were castaway? What if I were shipwrecked on an island? How would I survive? I hate extremes of temperature. I cant sleep without a blanket. My skin is too soft and gets abraised easily. I cant tie knots or sniff trails or make tents or eat meat. I cant fight of wild animals or wander around for hours without getting lost. I cant tell which berries are poisonous. Insects gross me out. How would I live?

*************************************************************************************

On a related note, I think the worst decisions I ever have to make (and invariably the wrong ones) are choosing what to keep and what to discard. Murphy's Law, the colours and styles that come back in fashion are those I just threw away, and they NEVER fit the same or look as nice the next time around.

Also, if I were in an airplane crash, what else would I take with me besides my passport and papers? My chapstick, a change of clothes, a book or two, maybe music, money, my phone... Gasp! glasses and contact case! Lotion! I would definitely try to sneak down a bag or two.

Methinks I would simply drown with the weight of my possessions.

Come to think of it, that's what we're doing to our spirits.

4 Comments:

Blogger Angel said...

Brilliant!!!!! I completely agree, we really are weighing down our spirits with life....
However, Aranyi, I donot think you could become obsolete ever!!!!! trust me on that...

Would you really carry chapstick if u were on a plane crash???:P

5:58 am  
Blogger Makhtub said...

Aru brillaint post, I was just thinking on the same lines today as I watched the Tom Hanks flick!

I loved the friends line in ur post, which is so true isnt it? Online strangers seem to be more there and more in sync wth u, which really if u look at it from a normal person pt of view is really sad!

And I think anyone who is shipwrecked will survive just fine, just think of it of all the times we think that oh i cant do this or i cant survive that, when the time comes (and somehow it always does) we always are able to cope, I guess that is the gift or call it the curse of being a human being...We all will survive and u although paint a picture of being all fragile and pampered (which most of us are) I think are v mentally strong so u will do just fine, I am worried abt myself though..hehe

And yea like angel said wld u really carry a chapstick?? I was wondering more about pads!lol

12:30 pm  
Blogger Princess Joya said...

yes, Id DEFINITELY carry chapstick. Id die of chapped lips otherwise. With regards to pads... yeah Id probably be stuck with periods if I were to be in a crash knowing my luck. Though I suppose the periods would probably dry up due to all the stress!

I havent seen the movie but Ive heard lots about it. Im waiting to be suitably depressed before I do.

yeah I guess you're right. If God takes us to it, he'll take us through it.

1:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post Aranyi. Yeah, life in this day and age has become very tech-dependant, and we have lost our touch with Mother Nature. In fact, real Nature as it is, is lost, and replaced with man-made parks, trees, and gardens. Its really quite sad the way things are shaping up as far as the environment goes. That again brings me to the point what is the government and the people doing about it in India. As we make fancy nuke deals with the US, where is the concern for the environment? India is moving into the next phase of its growth, as its burgeoning middle class are shaping up to be whores of western consumables. Question is can the environment sustain all this? God save India, and God save the world....

9:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter