One Voice, Many Worlds
A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.
About Me
- Name: Princess Joya
- Location: Home
Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq
Friday, March 03, 2006
Via Gaurav Sabnis's very thoughtful post.
The Blank Noise Project is basically a website (you could almost call it an armchair activist) that seeks to raise awareness about the singularly Indian, but universal phenomenon that comprises the term eve-teasing. On March 7, the website is hosting a Blogathon to commemorate its first year. I'm participating, as are many others. You should too. Email them at blurbblanknoise@gmail.com to participate. I'm going to ask if domestic molestation also counts.
I've already obliquely referred to the sort of subtle harassment I as a woman faced in a certain office building in this innocuous post Daily Life? I will write again on Tuesday about this though.
Here's another touching and stirring post on the subject, in the rambling infrastructure that is Mumbai's public transport system.
Do think about your experiences as a woman, as witness, as a victim, as a perpetrator, as a feminist, as a parochial. We want to get to the bottom of this. And then eradicate it.

4 Comments:
Hi,
Insightful post. I have written about a very interesting incident where ladies turned the tables. Made me smile. YOu might like to check it out on my blgo.
farrukh
copywriter & journalist
Thanks. I should actually mention another women's lib related article soon. Read yours! Sometimes it just really becomes that last straw on the camel's back.
Namaste from Australia. I had no problems at all with men in India. Of course, they stared at my blue eyes, white skin and blonde hair, but so did the women and children. Nobody ever threatened or molested me in any manner whatsoever, and I travelled throughout the entire sub-continent in buses, trains, taxis, tuk-tuks, etc.
The only time I was ever threatened was in my own country, bailed up one evening on the street by a belligerent drunk who refused to let me continue on my way home. A swift knee in the groin soon made him change his mind and I sailed on my serene, calm, dignified way. Highly recommended defence strategy!
Dear Barbara,
People to some extent, are wary of things they dont know, while the familiar or the weak are easy targets. besides, many Indians are enamoured by white skin. Indian women on the other hand, like Ive said in a more recent post, are so protected that they tend to regard strange men with caution, and an element of fear. That projected vulnerability can make all the difference when a man makes the decision to attack in any way.
Post a Comment
<< Home