One Voice, Many Worlds

A ripple in the water is sometimes all that is needed to signal catastrophic change. ONE ripple can make all the difference between existence and evolution.

Name:
Location: Home

Im a bundle of contradictions! My opinions vary depending on the time of month but have been consistent since i learnt to think. Words i associate with me: dream vision justice peace aerodynamic happiness sensual cynicism idealism antiquated socialism solitude secularism simmer solipsism brightness rain mother earth independence dance fulfilment solitude utopia blue pink moonlight luscious ishq

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Poems to Live By and Poems to Sigh Over

So I went for an AAA (American Alumni Association- based in Mumbai, India) Diwali get-together on Thursday night and met this gentleman Dr. Surveyor, who is an oral physician. (There seem to be a LOT of doctors who are members - and let me add that its GREAT to meet people at this association - im an enthusiastic new member - and its so refreshing to meet educated, catholic-minded people who enjoy the moment and don't take any nonsensical baggage or bitching home!) He loves poetry and he writes some, and we got to talking about poetry and I told him which ones are my favourites - that is - poetry and hymns I try to live by. So I shall post them up on this blog. A couple of them are in Hindi, but ill attempt to find a transliterated, if not translated version. Here are the Links:
Itne Oonche Utho by Dwarika Prasad Maheshwari:
in Hindi (unfortunately there's no translation for this!)
Maukon Kahan Dhoondhe Bande by Kabir (this one has everything!)
Where the mind is without fear by Rabindranath Tagore
Abide with Me (I know its a hymn, but still it makes me cry every time)
Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
If by Rudyard Kipling
Sexism by David Lehman
Dejeuner du matin by Jacques Prevert
anything from The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, especially his words on Love, Marriage, Children, Pain, Reason and Passion and Joy and Sorrow.

Hindi songs: They are just so beautiful how can one not include them as poetry? They rhyme and everything! I love the cadence of Urdu and need to learn it!
Kabhi Kabhi from Kabhi Kabhi
In Aankhon Ke masti Ke from Umrao Jaan
Aye dil-e-nadaan from Razia Sultana
Mera kuch saamaan from Ijaazat
and many many more!

Thanks to Jinal for teaching me how to link things!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:38 am  
Blogger ruchi said...

Welcome!! I am so glad there is someone I know previously here!

*hugs*

3:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chandani!!!
This is awesome...I really like your 'Reason for Being' article...
I hope you keep this blog alive!!Im gonna try and follow it as much as I can...it's great reading!!!

7:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter